• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

c. mulgrew, r mcdonough, j edinbourgh, and westbrom gk o'keffe knightley, britt newman a few that have been missed

royce

austian clarke priour powell
hall butler tilson
colleymoe eastwood ansah

bentley crown hurst maher edwards

Good to see Scott Forbes given a few mentions. Can't think of many average players that won so many hearts.

I love that man, still my all time favourite player. I still have my shirt with Forbes 26 on the back.

Ok, Bentley, Austin, Priour, Watson, Powell, Ansah, McCrory, Butler, Taylor, Collymore, Best,

I would think Ian Benjamin would be on most people's list of favourite players. But I always seem to remember loan players coming in after a bad run of results and turning things round for us. Players like Adrian Burrows, Paul Harding and Adam Federici were all fantastic for us. Also surprised no one mentioned Peter Daley for entertainment value. I can still see his goal celebration at Layer Road!

Variation on a theme, but here is my personal least favourite 11 again not based on ability:

GK : John Keeley
RB : Paul Roberts
CB : David Young
CB : David Howells
LB : Peter Gilbert
MD : Kevin Maher
MD : Jamal Campbell-Ryce
MD : Derek Hall
MD : Derek Payne
AT : John Gymer
AT : Jason Lee

I would think Ian Benjamin would be on most people's list of favourite players. But I always seem to remember loan players coming in after a bad run of results and turning things round for us. Players like Adrian Burrows, Paul Harding and Adam Federici were all fantastic for us. Also surprised no one mentioned Peter Daley for entertainment value. I can still see his goal celebration at Layer Road!

Adrian Burrows was different class for us.

GK: Federici - Class keeper.
RB: Jupp - I saw you score.
CB: Dervitte - Different gravy.
CB: Barrett - Legend.
LB: Johnny Herd - The Chelsea Throw.

RM: Gower - Legend.
CM: J.Smith - An old favourite
CM: Maher - Legend
LM: Reeves - Wembley Goal.

ST: Eastwood - Man United Goal.
ST: Goater - Legend.

GK - Simon Royce
RB - Sean Clohessy
LB - Damon Searle
CB - Leo Roget
CB - Spencer Prior
RM - Mark Gower
CM - Mark Bentley
CM - Nicky Bailey
LM - Martin Ling
FW - Richard Cadette
FW - Freddy Eastwood

By way of explanation, I should say that although I first saw Southend in 1985, I barely saw us from 1989-95 as I was living overseas. Hence the perhaps surprising omission of a few greats from an era when I was supporting the club, but not seeing them much.

This 11 is sprinkled with players that were doing their stuff for the Blues when I first started watching (60s).

GK - Trevor Roberts
RB - Simon Francis
LB - Tony Bentley
CB - Leo Roget
CB - Spencer Prior
RM - Mark Gower
CM - Phil Chisnall
CM - Mel Slack
LM - John McKinven
FW - Freddy Eastwood
FW - Billy Garner
Subs - Billy Best, Richard Cadette, Simon Royce, Bilel Moshni, Justin Edinburgh

Purely for character, effort and all round Shrimperism:

Paul Sansome
Dave Worthington
Chris Powell
Adam Barrett
Efan Sodje
Terry Nicholl
Ron Pountney
Billy Best
Roy McDonough
Richard Cadette
Ian Benjamin

Subs.
Mervyn Cawston
Kevin Maher
Alan Moody
Steve Lamb (for getting locked in a cudboard at a Christmas Party..so I was led to believe)
Peter Taylor

Ian Benjamin

Unsurprisingly this is the same as my best ever XI

Royce
Austin Prior Clark Powell
Ansah Marsh Bailey Otto
Collymore Eastwood

However if I'm not allowed to name any of that XI and instead have to name a side for whom my affection for possibly outweighs their ability then

Bramble/Tilson
Hunt Newman Roget McSweeney
Bentley Gridelet Moussa Forbes
Corr Thomson

However this side would be ****ing awesome (it's even really well balanced) and would walk this division and the next, setting record points tallies in both.

My favourite all time team covers a number of years:

Royce

Stead
Cusack
Cort
Mulgrew

Gower
Maher
Bentley
Taylor

Best
Eastwood

I saw Peter Taylor just before he was sold to Palace and remember seeing him play for England

Back