• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Your best all time SUFC 11?

He did but he wouldn’t make it into the best SUFC XI of 1993-94 let alone all-time. I’d have Tommy Mooney and Brett Angell ahead of him and not have to think twice about it.
yea with the best will in the world, he was awful.

On a hiding to nothing being 'Stans replacement' though I guess. Big boots to fill.

The fact he went on to have as good a career as he did is a testament to his character I think.

Honestly I said he was poo on his debut when he got a hattrick against (I think) Cape Town Spurs at Roots Hall.

yea with the best will in the world, he was awful.

On a hiding to nothing being 'Stans replacement' though I guess. Big boots to fill.

The fact he went on to have as good a career as he did is a testament to his character I think.

Honestly I said he was poo on his debut when he got a hattrick against (I think) Cape Town Spurs at Roots Hall.
How bad were Cape Town Spurs then!! Lol

Federici

Austin Prior Scully Powell

Otto, Jonathan Hunt, King Kevin, Peter Taylor.

Stan the Man, Billy Best

Subs
Sammy
Francis
Peter Clarke
Tilly
Whelan
Sandy Anderson ( Dads all time fav)
Marsh
Goater

always tricky as so many great players over the years but heavily influnenced by my days of attending from late 80s to late 90s (mainly) before I moved away

Stannard

Powell / Barratt / Prior / Austin

Tilson / Maher / Whelan

Collymore / Crown / Eastwood

subs 5
Flahavan
McDonagh
Francis
Benjamin
Corr

So many missed out Mike marsh, peter Taylor, bill garner..
Yes.
Some of you will have seen my answer years ago but there hasn’t been many extra candidates for a long time now,so here goes : (all also played for higher level teams)...4-3

M Cawston

D Austin
P Watson
A Moody
C Powell

M Marsh
K Jones
R Whelan

S Collymore
E Firmani
F Eastwood

And any of these would make it a formidable subs bench :

J Burridge
A Federici
J Neal
D Cusack
P Clarke
S Prior
R Leonard
E Crossan
B Mohsni
B Kellard
S McCrory
B Best
P Taylor
B Garner
R Cadette

Based on around 20 years of following SUFC, and in a 4-3-3 formation - a few square pegs in round holes, I know, but I found it hard to think of wingers:

Bentley

Francis
Clarke
Barrett
Coker

Leonard
Maher
Bailey

Assombalonga
Eastwood
Gower

Billy Best's 106 goals in 226 games should earn him a place in our best XI.
The above total is only his league games and goals which is none too shabby, however if you then include league and F.A. Cup goals it is as follows 246 matches + 1 as a substitute against Watford in March '73 this brings in a total of 123 goals of which 85 were scored at Roots Hall (a record) in about 127 matches between February 1968 through to April 1973.

Intrigued how many times I’ve seen Federici mentioned given he played a grand total of 10 games. Good keeper I will grant you but best ever?

Back