• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First match I took the ex-wife to was Col Ewe at home in 2005 when The Goat slammed home a beauty in the first few minutes. Held her interest for a good few minutes I recall. Never went again.

Actually, that's a lie, she went to both LDV games as well. I guess maybe Roots Hall was a bit of a comedown after two Millennium Stadium visits!

took the soon to be ex-missus a few times, once at home, once at Chesterfield in the FA Cup and she came to both LDV finals but decided not to go to the play-off final as she said she couldn't bear being with us all in the car had we lost, how wrong she was!

My policy has always been: if she wants to come, bring her along as long as she joins in with pub banter pre and post match and doesn't moan.

However, I would never try an invite a girlfriend to football. There's nothing more likely to kill a relationship stone dead than being forced to watch Southend lose 1-0 at home to someone like Rotherham or Yeovil in the freezing cold surrounded by people slagging off James Walker / Kevin Betsy / Damien Scannell / Simon Francis (delete as appropriate). Apart from chlamydia, obviously.

Mrs W probably comes to about six or seven games a season with me. She enjoys it and gets involved with the cheering/singing/drinking. She's less keen on Cricko cracking on to her in The Spread Eagle but that's another story.

My missus will come with me if there's something else going on too. We've had a few weekends away in a nice hotel at Cardiff, Southampton, and last week at Huddersfield where she also got to sample watching the match from a box (interesting but not something I'd do every week).

I've also managed to tempt her to Blackpool (shopping trip attached), Barnet (case of logistical necessity after a trip to London), and Cambridge (don't remember why she came with me that day). She's also been to the Hall a few times when I've had a ticket spare.

To be honest I suspect she'd rather be reading a book most of the time and I did have to promise never to take her to Barnet again... ever.

I took my girlfriend to the Telford replay this season, which probably wasn't the best match considering the poor attendance and subsequent lack of atmosphere. It was a truly dire game as well, despite the win, though strangely she quite enjoyed it, which was a pleasant surprise given that she generally hates football.

She wanted to come to the two Chelsea games but I could only get one ticket for both and I think she was genuinely gutted. She was due to come to the Northampton game on Monday but a close friend from her native Israel was visiting so it didn't happen.

took the soon to be ex-missus a few times, once at home, once at Chesterfield in the FA Cup and she came to both LDV finals but decided not to go to the play-off final as she said she couldn't bear being with us all in the car had we lost, how wrong she was!

Kind of had the same experience this time it was me, my dad, mum and my sister. The first LDV we drove down and stayed in a hotel and got a taxi to the stadium (they'd been to a few games before) so that one went alright.
The 2nd LDV didn't get off to the greatest of starts with those f*?!ing poxy trains been late:madman: and the spring in my mums seat came through the seat and ripped her trousers a little, FINALLY got to the stadium RAN to get there and just about made it (lost again) so her and my sister didn't want to go again as she also didn't like the large crowds and people swearing.
And the important game we all went and stayed on a campsite in Bridgend and they stayed at the campsite and off me and dad went and got the train to Cardiff and came back laughing at them for 1. not going and 2. there was a Lincoln fan infront of us who turned round and weren't too happy about that :)

Met my ex wife on the Brothers Grimm coach to Plymouth in 1974. A few weeks later we went to watch the Blues at Tranmere on a friday night and during the next 8 seasons she came to all the home games with me and away games to Colchester, Cambridge, Gillingham, Chester, Walsall, Scunthorpe, Millwall, Bournemouth, Liverpool (cup replay) West Ham, Everton, Watford, Ipswich, and Brighton to name a few!.

Took her to the Cup match against Dover in 1975/6..........stood in the North stand.
Even though we won 4-1, I don't suppose it was the best choice. Had just started going out together..........perhaps deep down it was like telling her.......if you take me on Southend United is part of the package.......only just thought of that!
Had been married for a couple of years when I persuaded her to drive from the middle of Kent, in the middle of the week, on a filthy night in 1979 to see us play Liverpool. An evening of surging backwards and forwards on the South Bank was her last Roots Hall experience. Perhaps if I told her she could now sit down in comfort in the West Stand.........she might come back................providing she brought a good book with her.
Not strictly on the subject of the thread but I did bring my daughter to see us play WBA on New Years Day. She had some experience of football in watching her boyfriend playing for neighbouring Landorthe, in front of about 30 spectators and a couple of dogs. She sat, looking curiously, on when JCR scored his double, in what must have been his best game for the Blues. She returned to see our opening game of the season against Orient........the one where we were leading until that nice man with peroxide hair displayed his acting skills. Don't know whether she would come back a gain .........probably a better bet than her mother.........although she has adopted her mothers habit of yawning whenever Southend United is mentioned.
That leaves the cat I wonder whether 'Tigrou' is mature enough to experience the delights of League football......................any mice around the West Stand???

I took my missus to QPR away about 12 years ago. We lost 4-1. I didnt invite her to join me again!

One of my mates took his girlfriend to a match about 20 years ago. She turned around to us halfway through the match and said "what happens if we put the ball in our own net, do we get the goal, or do they?"....

Honestly... She did say that.... I kid you not... She wasnt invited back either.

Another one of my good friends had a missus who was a Charlton season ticket holder. They're divorced now. I think it's for the best! ;-)

My missus used to go to games a fair bit. I think she enjoyed the pre and post match drinking more than anything else but always came back for more (and the football was dire in those days, League 2 dross with awful teams generally). She only really stopped when kids came along.

Now it's me taking my little girl to games. So far it's only been the Queensland Roar Ladies but the two games we've gone to were the semi then the Grand Final which they won. So she's been a bit spoilt so far.

I took my missus to Luton away last season.............. I will never forget it!!!

When we had negotiated our way past all the saree shops we eventually found somewhere to park outside a Liddell or some place like that. We made it into the ground around 30 mins before kickoff and she spotted plenty of spaces down the side to quietly sit and watch the game. I ignored that suggestion and proceeded to drag her into the middle of all the boys behind the goal to get behind the lads! As we found our seats shooting practice began and she was extremely impressed with some of the lads finishing... that was until Alan McCormack came to the party. Macca strolled up and drove the ball over the goal and hurtling towards us in the crowd. The Missus wasn't paying attention the tall guy in front ducked allowing the ball to smack her full-on in the face!!!!!!! This was greeted by the sound of OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO from the surrounding faithful. I took one look at her and realised it was of course all my fault. Why did I not save her?! Why was I laughing??? Her now muddy face complete with red circle on her forehead did not look impressed. The headache and embaressment that resulted from the incident ensured moaning for the entire afternoon..............................

This was not helped by Matt Harrold penalty taking extroadinaire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2Ifk8qBAw

When we had successfully succeeded in yet again losing to the Hatters we made our way back to the car, collected our parking fine and headed home.

Lesson learnt - women and football don't mix - unless they are a Blue Belle :)

Hereford versus Southend at Edgar Street, September 1980, 2,000 crowd, 0-0 bore draw. Crow got on the pitch by the corner flag and refused to move, Police, groundstaff took several minutes to remove it. This incident delighted my wife far more than the football! She never went again.

call me old fashioned but I just dont do it, footy on a saturday is for my son and I, that coupled with the fact she not keen on football, the one time she did come though was norwich at home in the ccc a few years ago, what a night a brilliant comeback and amazing atmosphere at the hall, she was so wired from it all she couldnt sleep for hours bless her

On the day I became engaged, as a treat, I took my intended to watch the Blues play Bristol City at home-December 20 1947. In spite of beating the city 4-0 that day, goals from Ken Bennett 2,Cyril Thompson and Prichard she enjoyed it NOT. She ended up sitting on the terrace steps reading a newspaper. Needless to say she never came again. I forgave her though.

My now ex-girlfriend's only experience was at MK Dons away at the Hockey Stadium which was the coldest day in all humanity! Safe to say she never partook again! Mrs MK has been to a fair few games this season, especially the Col Ewe game where I lost it when JFC scored the last minute equaliser :D

Back