• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

seany t

President
I was talking to my boss today who failed to convince his wife to come with him and watch the Chelsea vs Liverpool CL match last night, as she thought it'd be a 'dull game'. But it reminded me of my own experiences when trying to convince the better half of what makes going to the football so great.

I foolishly have tried twice now, and the two occasions couldn't have been more vastly different weather wise. The first was on a blisteringly sunny day when SUFC were doing relatively well in League One. It was fairly full (the first problem as my girlfriend suffers a bit from claustrophobia) but the game was fairly limp. She left with sun burn and a sense of guilt that she hadn't really enjoyed it given that I'd forked out £35 for the two of us.

The second time I dragged her along was over the Christmas period and we sat up in the South upper. It was RIDICULOUSLY cold, with a wind that felt like a knife made out of ice was hacking away at your skin. She sat moaning throughout (understandably), consuming hot chocolate faster than they could make it downstairs and the game was absolutely dire. It was one of those 0-0 against Bournemouth kind of games.

She and I have now decided that we both have a far better time when I am at Roots Hall, and she is not. She'll occasionally bend an ear to see how we get on (eg. when we're on TV), but otherwise she is very much a begrudging football widow.

How about you guys and gals?

My mrs went to the Leyton Orient game in the JPT and commented on how great it was to see 6 goals in a game. I wasn't best pleased.

Mrs DS has loved going to see the Blues, being american she'd only ever really seen the world cup on tv, she loves the atmosphere at Roots Hall and enjoys the games even though she's not been to the best games, infact she's only ever seen one Blues goal, and never seen both teams score in a game, still she loves it!

07/08 Oldham 0-1 L
07/08 Leeds 1-0 W
08/09 MK Dons 0-2 L

Her next game is the Leicester game this saturday, oh dear.

My wife has not accompanied me to a game since the first LDV vans final in Cardiff when I took session drinking to a whole new level thinking we would never get to a major final again.

I tend to go to games more often than not with my fiancé now, she doesn't mind them (and she's even met Ldnfatso!) we enjoy the day out and she doesn't mind going to Stockport/Huddersfield etc... although she did sulk for about a week after I dragged her to MK Dons at the Hockey Stadium (coldest game ever). She is a bit of a good luck omen, seeing us lose only a few times in about 15-20 games she's been to. I don't really want a football mad wife, but it is cool that she doesn't mind it.

I took an ex to a game against Derby many years ago now. We lost 2-1 (i think) and I had the right hump. We were walking up Vic Ave back to the car and I wasn't saying anything other grumbling to my self. We got to the car park and she commented that I was being moody. I said its part of being a fan. She then came out with the comment - "its only a game" to which I got in the car and drove off and left her there.

My first wife, occasionally went to RH before we married, but stopped when canveyshrimper (pre diet days) finished an abortive end of season pitch invasion by rolling off the wall and crushing here.

Wifey #2 was offered a day trip to Blackpool as a 3rd date (return of Webby ) and has been attending ever since (and a season ticket holder for 7 years now)

I new she was hooked when away at Chesterfield in the FA Cup I glance round to see her , arms aloft giving it "southend til i die"

My first wife, occasionally went to RH before we married, but stopped when canveyshrimper (pre diet days) finished an abortive end of season pitch invasion by rolling off the wall and crushing here.

Wifey #2 was offered a day trip to Blackpool as a 3rd date (return of Webby ) and has been attending ever since (and a season ticket holder for 7 years now)

I new she was hooked when away at Chesterfield in the FA Cup I glance round to see her , arms aloft giving it "southend til i die"

Should you ever end up going to future games with Wife No. 3, can you give Wifey No. 2 my phone number?

Cheers!

:D I was never good at clambering over walls mate.

I've taken the missus a few times.

She saw us win 2-0 at Orient when Neil Campbell got a brace. She thought he looked a bit like me, which is very unfortunate.

She also saw a 1-1 draw against the monkey hangers in the FA Cup a while back.

Her latest trip was on Good Friday.

She says the same things at every game:

1. Why are Southend so "lame"?
2. Can't they run around a bit more?
3. To be honest, I prefer to watch the crowd more than the game.

However, she was convinced the ref for Good Friday was in the pay of the MK Dons, and last night was gleefully telling a Chelski fan who was crowing about the greatness of Bobby DiMatteo how the MK Dons were a bunch of divers. Classic.

Actually the first match I took her to was against Bolton, and they invaded the pitch at the final whistle (which some of their hooligans were eventually convicted for, I believe).

Then at the start of last season I persuaded her that football had changed and to come along for the opening match. Millwall. Enough said.

last game she saw was Liverpool in 79. It's a girl thing. They like Lakeside, we like footie. How many women do you see at the B&Q tool counter drooling over routers. Nuff said :)

last game she saw was Liverpool in 79. It's a girl thing. They like Lakeside, we like footie. How many women do you see at the B&Q tool counter drooling over routers. Nuff said :)

I had a perfectly conceived plan the other day. It's a giant, circular shopping centre. The only difference to the normal shopping centre you ask?

A giant pub in the centre covered in screens showing football. There would also be a creche next door for those folks with kids. The inner circle of shops would include HMV, Currys Digital, H&M Mens, Game and Topman.

Job sorted. The men get some time to relate to strangers about the important things, the girls get to go shopping. Even my girlfriend thought this was an idea most architects should take on board...

Oh no it isn't. Listen, as there were no "sons" in our house, my dad used to take first me, and then me and my sister and our mum too. I've been going since the Billy Best/Bill Garner/Peter Taylor days in the early 70s, and apart from a lean patch in the 80s when I did honestly try and spend time with the other half - who can't stand football - supporting Southend Utd has always been a major, major part of my life.

Now things have turned full circle, and once again, it is the four of us going, but this time with the addition of my two kids, because my sister's husband, like mine, simply doesn't like it.

I dont take my gf very often due to cost,i mean if she liked it and got the bug....which is easy to do,where would i get 800 quid a season from plus away days..?..?..?..?..

Back