• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Your favourite non-goalscoring Southend moment

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Freddy vs Man Utd, Benji at Bury, Liverpool 1979, blah blah blah.

We've had loads of chat on here about favourite moments supporting Southend but they've all tended to focus on great goals.

But what is your favourite moment that didn't involve a goal being scored? For me, and I was reminded of this by Mick's Ref Watch thread, it has to be Leo Roget vs Kingstonian in 2001.

Southend were attacking the South end of the ground when a scuffle broke out in front of the East Blacks. At the time, Leo Roget was defending so must have been a good forty or fifty yards away.

However, that was no reason for him not to get involved and Leo sprinted half the length of the field before diving in with his fists. The ref sent him off of course, but what a moment. I remember it more clearly than pretty much any goal we scored in that rotten era.

Over to you....sendings off, tackles, scrapping, singing, whatever. But no goals please.

Brilliant idea for a thread and one that hasn't been done before I don't think.

Mine, definitely has to be the "One Billy Ocean" chants and general wind-ups from the North Bank at one of the Bristol Rovers subs, can't for the life of me remember his name, in 1993 (the game a certain SVC ripped them to shreds single-handedly!!!)

Also worthy of note is Stuart Pearce's first minute booking in the live game on TV first match of 93/94 - we scored through Andy Sussex from the resulting free-kick IIRC.

Brilliant idea for a thread and one that hasn't been done before I don't think.

Mine, definitely has to be the "One Billy Ocean" chants and general wind-ups from the North Bank at one of the Bristol Rovers subs, can't for the life of me remember his name, in 1993 (the game a certain SVC ripped them to shreds single-handedly!!!)

Also worthy of note is Stuart Pearce's first minute booking in the live game on TV first match of 93/94 - we scored through Andy Sussex from the resulting free-kick IIRC.

Sussex punched the ball in from about 3 yards when he realised he couldn't get his head to the ball

For a while in his footballing career, Ricky Otto was capable of almost anything. I remember him taking a shot on goal with the outside of his left foot from close to the corner flag in the North West corner of Roots Hall, the opposition goalkeeper being stranded elsewhere. The shot was cleared off the line by a retreating defender. Close to scoring and to genius.

Has to be Tony Bullock's sending off in the game against Macclesfield. Don't think I've ever laughed so much at a match.

Also an honourable mention to the FA Cup tie at Everton. Still remains the best away day I've ever had following the Shrimpers.

Tony Bullock's goal keeping display for Macclesfield about six/seven years ago.

He was wasting time something chronic and the ref had had enough of it and I think quite rightly booked him. Bullock couldnt believe it and spent the next minute moaning at the ref.

Cant quite recall what happened next but for some reason Bullock decided to whack the ball as hard and low as he could into the East Stand. Sadly the woman in the East Stand who happened to be in the way didnt get out the way and took a blow to the face.

She needed medical treatment, Bullock of course saw red and rather than sit on the bench he decided to go and sit with the Macclesfield fans.

Comedy genius.

Loads of them and very hard to choose the best - but two to start with:

Barnsley away, an own goal and a terrible decision by the ref has Barnsley two up at half time. We stage a fantastic comeback, culminating in a sublime equaliser. Then Barnsley break down the other end and "score" - the ground erupts, but wait - the lino has his flag up for offside! Never have I experienced such relief and elation as we roared "SIT DOWN SHUT UP, SIT DOWN SHUT UP!!"

Man U in the cup. Ronaldo has a free kick. He fires it beautifully over the wall and it is dipping under the crossbar - when a small but perfectly-formed green arm appears, and tips the ball over the bar. Ronaldo clenches his fists and does a half-turning little jump of frustration that wouldn't have looked out of place in Nursery - happy days!

Bullock took his jersey off as well and also made out as if he was going to take his shorts off too. What a plank.

Didn't Leo do the same thing against whatever team it was that Marco Gabbiadini was playing for? I remember him going in and punching him about 5 foot off the ground and being sent off to a heroes' exit.

Anyway, my favourite non scoring moment was when Buzz went up front against York in 2001(?) One of the funniest things I've ever seen. Especially when he went on his mazy run and "scored" only for it to be ruled out for a foul (I think). Oh the days...

Back