• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

For me it was the 1956 cup game against Manchester City. I witnessed the most amazing goalkeeping performance by Bert Trautmann The memory of one save from a Roy Hollis shot is still fresh in my memory some 60 years later.
In Bert Trautmanns autobiography he wrote that Southend was the hardest game to play on there way to winning the FA Cup that season .

My list of games
Newport 59/60 -my first game
Shrewsbury 62/63 - my first floodlit game
Millwall 65-66 - Crowd 15,748
Gillingham 65-66 -We beat Gillingham 5-2 (Firmani hat trick) -cant believe we got relegated we were so good at home
Workington 67/68 - 7-0 - nothing will stop us getting promoted
Brentwood 68/69 -Ernie said we would score 10 and we did
Villa 71/72 - Great day
Chelsea 72/73 _ so unlucky to lose
QPR 74/75 -I thought we were robbed of a winner
Cardiff 75/76 _ take that Mike England
Newport 77/78 -on everyone's list
Liverpool 78/79
Lincoln 80/81 - they weren't going to stop us being champions
Northampton Cup 86/87 4-4 classic
Wigan 87/88 Comeback to match Newport
Blackpool 87/88 4-0 to stay up
Spurs League Cup 89/90 so unlucky again
Luton 92/93 2-1 to stay up Andy Sussex goal of the century
Birmingham 93/94 say no more
Boston 2002/3 Leon Cort Hat trick from centre half
QPR 2003/4 LDV 4-0 Steve Clark wonder goal -They were top of League 1 -I knew we had to avoid them in the Semis
Col U 2003/4 LDV semi - Drewe!
Yeovil 2005/6 4-1 - Brilliant second half to beat our bogey side
Bristol City 2005/6 Job done

Then I moved to Milton Keynes and couldn't get to so many games.

2010/11 Stockport _ Glad we still had games to got to.
2011/12 Cheltenham 4-0 Jack Butland lets in 4
2011/12 Barnet Mohsni hat trick
2013/14 Millwall cup

There's a lot of cup games in there -pity they are so undervalued these days.

Last edited:
bISZA5.jpg

Southend ground staff prepare the pitch before the FA Cup Fourth Round tie match against Manchester City at Roots Hall. January 1956

RZqMsm.jpg

Southend United Vs Manchester City FA Cup Fourth Round at Roots Hall
on the 28th January 1956. Attendance 29,500

Look at the two guys on ladders painting the advertising!
Also I said similar about the photo from the Birmigham FA cup game , look how packed the North Bank and North West corner is. Much more packed than the 79 Liverpool game. I suspect that the crowds were much higher than the reported official attendances.

I think mine will have to be when the Supporters Club football team hired out Roots Hall. We played a match (original 1981 team v current day) followed by a sit-down meal in the Blues lounge (our prolific strike Tommo was a chef at the ground at the time) and then held our annual presentation/awards in the evening, We basically had the run of the place all day. The only thing that worried me was when we paid John Adams for the privilege, in the car park (in cash), a day or two beforehand, he literally sprinted off to catch the bank before it closed!

For me it's got to be St Angells day, the 1-0 victory over the Spammers. All the better because the hamsters thought they were going to slaughter us and the day after at work was awesome with so many wet spam fans...

Last edited:
For me it's got to be At Angells day, the 1-0 victory over the Spammers. All the better because the hamsters thought they were going to slaughter us and the day after at work was awesome with so many wet spam fans...

I told Brett we honoured this day and he was very happy.

What should have been a great day at Roots Hall , 27 years ago this afternoon Dave Martin missed a penalty against Brentford and goodbye to the champions title .

Southend 5 - 2 Bolton Wanderers.

A few beers in the Nelson before the game and then spent the evening in the Pink Toothbrush.

Luxury.

Back