• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Snowy

Spread Eagle of Old
Having spent many days and night following the blues, I wanted to post this to see what others think was there greatest day which incorporated a trip to Roots Hall, or watching the blues?

I have some great memories........

Margate pre season 20th July 2002 is one - Lost 3-2 but my god what an away trip.
Picked up around 8am following a very boozy night out in 'Churchill's' that ended at about 4am.
Perv and I some how managed to drink almost a litre of Gin on the journey to Margate, with others in the mini bus drinking various amounts of alcohol. (You all know who you are).
Arrived at the ground and were ushered into the Margate ground to park up the Mini Bus. The attendant than realised we were not the opposition team and told us to 'GO AWAY' in less polite English terms.

A few beers in a pub on the seafront and a 15 a'side kick about prior to kick off which became rather tasty.

At the game, sticks of rock were given to Rob 'Buzz Light Year' Newman, and a Divorced and Desperate Hat given to Danny Gay. He even wore the hat during the game.

Ok the game was the typical pre season affair and we found ourselves in the club house drinking beer.

As soon as the game finished we headed off to Romford Dogs. Suffice to say there were a lot of drunk individuals on the mini bus, but it was a fantastic day.

If you were there, reply with your memories.

P.S. Sorry Smudger took you out knee high in the kick about (I blame it on the Gin :sad:)

2013 JPT semi final vs Orient . Prematch beers in the railway , losing my voice after Ben Reeves late winner . Finishing back in the Railway. Having Que sera sera as an ear worm for 2 days , it must have been played 100 times on the jukebox!

Beating Bristol City to clinch the League 1 title

Atmosphere was rocking in the shrimpers bar before the game with many dressed in Bermudan outfits (Shaun Goater tribute)

After the game i dont think ive ever stayed behind so long after a game, it was one of those occasions you just didnt want end

Having spent many days and night following the blues, I wanted to post this to see what others think was there greatest day which incorporated a trip to Roots Hall, or watching the blues?

I have some great memories........

Margate pre season 20th July 2002 is one - Lost 3-2 but my god what an away trip.
Picked up around 8am following a very boozy night out in 'Churchill's' that ended at about 4am.
Perv and I some how managed to drink almost a litre of Gin on the journey to Margate, with others in the mini bus drinking various amounts of alcohol. (You all know who you are).
Arrived at the ground and were ushered into the Margate ground to park up the Mini Bus. The attendant than realised we were not the opposition team and told us to 'GO AWAY' in less polite English terms.

A few beers in a pub on the seafront and a 15 a'side kick about prior to kick off which became rather tasty.

At the game, sticks of rock were given to Rob 'Buzz Light Year' Newman, and a Divorced and Desperate Hat given to Danny Gay. He even wore the hat during the game.

Ok the game was the typical pre season affair and we found ourselves in the club house drinking beer.

As soon as the game finished we headed off to Romford Dogs. Suffice to say there were a lot of drunk individuals on the mini bus, but it was a fantastic day.

If you were there, reply with your memories.

P.S. Sorry Smudger took you out knee high in the kick about (I blame it on the Gin :sad:)

Your greatest day at Roots Hall...doesn't appear to have been at Roots Hall!

190 posts in 15 years! Impressive work Snowy.

ps the weekend in Bournemouth was decent. Or the trip me an Axe made with Barry to Darlo away midweek.

My first game,50 years ago v Brentford.
As an 11 year old,going alone,getting to the game buying my first SUFC programme,then after the game,getting home and reading that holy scripture.
The start of my life long love affair with Southend United

My first game,50 years ago v Brentford.
As an 11 year old,going alone,getting to the game buying my first SUFC programme,then after the game,getting home and reading that holy scripture.
The start of my life long love affair with Southend United

1-0 win or 4-0 win?

Some big afternoons and nights.

I've only missed a few home fixtures over the years but they sadly included the Freddy Eastwood debut and the Man U victory when I was out of the country with work. But wow, there have been some good memories. The one that perhaps shades all the others though is the return of Barry Fry with Birmingham. Can't recall a more electric atmosphere at the Hall. The tension, animosity, anger, hatred, motivation, desperate need for revenge was palpable in the stands even before kick-off. How much that game meant to everyone in the stadium. The Colchester and Orient JPT games were up there in terms of tension, but I've never really known anything like that Birmingham game before or since.

That day we nailed on our place as League One Champions was pretty special too though.

September 1972 for the home game against Chelsea. Let's just say the house was rammed and the place was rocking. What a game that was (lost 0-1) but the memory of the crowd after going regularly to all the first and reserve team home games for the previous five years has never left me.

(I have a second greatest day; taking my son to RH for the first time in October 1991 to see Charlton. The game was drawn and when did he want to go for a pee ? Yep - when SU scored :facepalm:)

Beating Bristol City to clinch the League 1 title

Atmosphere was rocking in the shrimpers bar before the game with many dressed in Bermudan outfits (Shaun Goater tribute)

After the game i dont think ive ever stayed behind so long after a game, it was one of those occasions you just didnt want end

I wore a Rasta wig and blacked up that day with a tied dye t-shirt. I had a job to do and was standing in the players’ tunnel when Efe Sodje came out. He looked at me and didn’t know what to make of it. A great day and it continued until late in the Spread.

190 posts in 15 years! Impressive work Snowy.

ps the weekend in Bournemouth was decent. Or the trip me an Axe made with Barry to Darlo away midweek.

Is that the Snowy I think it is Naps? Wow!

How do you pick a game?

Atmosphere? Birmingham
Emotion? Bristol City Goat farewell
Meant something? Bristol City. How late did we leave it to score! Almost poetic
Underdog? Man Ure
Justice? Wolves when they invaded the pitch, lost and failed promotion
Weird? Colly/Angell. I don't know where others were but in my part of the North that day the goal was met with stony silence bar me

Favourite 5-0 QPR. I know in the context of the rest of the above it doesn't compare but put in the setting of a team and club still emerging from years of doom and gloom it was pretty much the most comprehensive performance I've seen in many a year.

Fond memories of a packed Palace game in the 70s of a constant procession of away fans being marched out of the ground. The Sid Broomfield testimonial is one of my clearest early memories. The 75 home cup game v QPR 22,00O and of course the Liverpool game.

I'm not the most travelled away fan but proud to have been at every away game where we have clinched promotion, Grimsby where we thought we had and all the Cardiff and Wembley games except for Orient about 100 years back. Still waiting for Cricko's match report for that one.

Greatest day at Roots Hall? Playing in 4 cup finals in mens and junior football. In the changing rooms, in the players bar, being on the famous pitch. Scoring in both ends in under 16 final will live forever and i still watch the video. As a fan? So many games spring to mind, Liverpool when i was 11yrs old on the South bank with old dad. Man Utd was like a dream. Seeing Spurs in the cup with Gazza and Lineker, great nights. I tell you what though, that win against Scunny the other week is right up there, very charged atmosphere in the West stand, a last minute winner to end the depressing thought of a slide back into L2, SCP comes back home and his first game in charge. Just mega. And the game before that seeing my boy out on the pitch as a ball boy. Ah, they all make me smile and i still look up to those four floodlight towers, walking up to the ground, with fondness.

Yep, me too SBH.
My greatest day was against Barry Frys Birmingham city
Never seen Roots Hall so packed. Even at kick off the que outside for the north bank went right out into the car park, then turned a right angle and was half way up to the club shop.
Yes and that atmosphere was so very venermas towards Barry, he got slaughtered by the sufc supporters.
Great day.

I’ve had many amazing days and nights at Roots Hall, which include all of the obvious ones like the Freddy Eastwood debut, Man United win, clinching the League One title and so on. However, one of my favourites has to be against Scunthorpe for SCP’s debut management game.

The reason being, my 14 year old nephew has just moved back to Essex, and is a Chelsea fan (Because of his Dad) and has a soft spot for Crystal Palace, having gone to see them play as well, so I had a spare ticket for the Scunthorpe game and took him along for some real football. This season has been a chore going to games for me, I’ve fallen out of love with football in general not just Southend. Now, my nephew loves football and constantly talks about it, plays FIFA, goes up the park to play football and so on, so he was very excited for the game, and I was more excited to take him and spend the day with him.

He came to the Railway, and I had to look after my friends kid too, and they both got on really well in the pub and spoke about football and my nephew was being educated on all things Southend. They picked a four team acca for me as well, which came in and won me £116 too which was a bonus.

Once we got into the stadium, he couldn’t believe the state of the pitch, and I had warned him we wouldn’t see Barcelona style football, but a battle. That’s what League One is.

What better way for him to be introduced to the old girl that is Roots Hall than with a last minute winner in a 3-2 come from behind win, with a red card, excellent saves, decent atmosphere, and a superb battling, committed performance from the boys in blue.

I have a spare ticket for today, and he cannot wait to come back to the game, and there is talk of getting a season ticket next season too. If we win today, he could well be converted from a Chelsea fan, to a fully pledged Shrimper.

Two games stand out , the Villa game 1971 , the Chelsea cup game 1972 , you had to be in The North Bank for those games to understand why people of a certain age still talk about the great days in The North Bank .

Birmingham was awesome, I am sure my mate Streaky said he only just got in to that game before the stewards said no more and shut the turnstiles to the north bank.
There was an Anglo Italian game at RH, Padova, 5-2 I think it was, great game and oddly the north bank was reasonably empty, I climbed the barriers swinging my scarf for the goals - loved it!

Also worthy of mention smashing Orient 5-1 with four from Cadette and the 4-4 with Northampton oh and the 3-2 against Hartlepool all great games. Bristol Rovers and Col U games to get to the finals. Already mentioned the 1-0 against Wolves, but hard to beat the Man United game. The one I missed that I wish I had been at was the 4-0 against Newcastle.

Back