• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Your Licence Fee in action

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Is anyone else getting the feeling that no-one at the Beeb has a clue about anything? This is their Russian 'effort', but I can't help thinking that the bloke who wrote it only knows the name of one player and has resolutely based the entire preview on him despite the fact that he's suspended for the first two games.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2008/russia/7363760.stm

It's got Wikipedia dripping all over it. It's almost as in-depth as Football Focus this weekend...

If anyone is looking for a really, really good preview, I suggest they ignore everything else and bag a copy of World Soccer sharpish.

And who could blame him? It's a splendid name.

The critical part is when he/she writes:

"Weaknesses: A lack of genuine world-class footballers. In Arshavin's absence Hiddink must get the best out of a group of workmanlike players - look at a list of where they all play and you will not see many of Europe's so-called bigger clubs."

Erm...riiiight, so you just basically looked at their squad on Wikipedia and decided that, as none of them played for Real Madrid they were obviously crap? Nice.

I despair sometimes, I really do.

But to be honest I am not a journalist but who else is any good for Russia??

Well, there's Pavel Pogrebnyak* who was rattling them in for UEFA Cup winners, Zenit St Petersburg, he's pretty decent. Roman Pavlyuchenko didn't look too shabby when he knocked two past England in Moscow. Yuri Zhirkov is one of Europe's better left-wingers and Konstantin Zyryanov, Pogrebnyak's team-mate, looks quite tasty as well.

That bit of information came from watching the UEFA Cup Final, reading World Soccer and monitoring match reports on Soccernet. Kind of, you know, the sort of thing you might expect a publicly-funded journalist to do.

I only get upset because everyone else is subject to market forces. If we write rubbish, people don't buy, we lose our jobs. If the BBC write rubbish, they still charge us their mandatory tax for the pleasure. It would be alright if they were producing anything even half-way good, but when we're all shelling out our money for a hastily cobbled together wiki-feat and vague hints that Torres might be one to watch for Spain, it riles me.

* - I should point out in the interests of fairness that the boy Pogreb took a knock against Serbia and may not be involved.

Well, there's Pavel Pogrebnyak* who was rattling them in for UEFA Cup winners, Zenit St Petersburg, he's pretty decent. Roman Pavlyuchenko didn't look too shabby when he knocked two past England in Moscow. Yuri Zhirkov is one of Europe's better left-wingers and Konstantin Zyryanov, Pogrebnyak's team-mate, looks quite tasty as well.

That bit of information came from watching the UEFA Cup Final, reading World Soccer and monitoring match reports on Soccernet. Kind of, you know, the sort of thing you might expect a publicly-funded journalist to do.

I only get upset because everyone else is subject to market forces. If we write rubbish, people don't buy, we lose our jobs. If the BBC write rubbish, they still charge us their mandatory tax for the pleasure. It would be alright if they were producing anything even half-way good, but when we're all shelling out our money for a hastily cobbled together wiki-feat and vague hints that Torres might be one to watch for Spain, it riles me.

* - I should point out in the interests of fairness that the boy Pogreb took a knock against Serbia and may not be involved.

Send them an email about it! You might be able to get yourself a job as a BBC journalist. ;)

Send them an email about it! You might be able to get yourself a job as a BBC journalist. ;)

As a fairly left-of-centre vegetarian with a social concience I shouldn't be believing let alone perpetuating "urban myths" about our beloved Auntie - but as Slipper is an able-bodied "WASP", who crucially can write really really well, how likely is it that he is going to get a job at the Beeb?

As a fairly left-of-centre vegetarian with a social concience I shouldn't be believing let alone perpetuating "urban myths" about our beloved Auntie - but as Slipper is an able-bodied "WASP", who crucially can write really really well, how likely is it that he is going to get a job at the Beeb?

Do you think that if I told them I was a lesbian, it would help my chances? I'm quite willing to play the part. Purely for the job, of course. Purely for the job.

Do you think that if I told them I was a lesbian, it would help my chances? I'm quite willing to play the part. Purely for the job, of course. Purely for the job.

Such self sacrifice in the interest of Public Broadcasting... quite brings a tear to the eye.

tetuda.gif

Back