• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Options

• Love all but gone.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Reading various posts of late it seems a number of regulars are starting to fall slightly out of love with the club. I can really understad this as I think most people go through phases where SUFC is more or less important to us.

What stage of the cycle are you at?

For me I am probably on a slight upper at the moment. I was probably at my lowest point two seasons ao with the Tilly sacking (Which looking back was the right thing sadly) and the bankrupcy issues. I found it hard to love a club run by Ron, manager by a Scot and full of journeymen from all four corners of the country.

Even the first half of last season I was really struggling to find the motivation to come (Still did all the homes and six away) as just wasnt enjoying the football. It was really the move to the north bank and the retrun of Freddy that got me feeling more positive.

It is hard though I think when you see the club every season facing the same problems. I come to football for some escapism and seeing the club doing so badly doesnt really have that calming effect.

Personally I know I will always love the club and always want to go, its my Dads club and was two generations of Dads club before that but at the moment and for a long time now I have struggled to find the love I had under the great days of Webb and Tilly.

I think above all we just want to feel proud of the club and for too long our off the field antics have made us a joke.

Always goes up and down for me, some years go to every game, others cherry pick. Been time when didnt go for years.

Thats more affected by the real world than whats happening at the club though. As Ive got older theres more to life than football.

This year Im really looking forward to the season though.

Should try not to let the off the field antics ruin it, its not like off the field was great when Webb was here under Jobson. Im sure if we had the information we have now it would have been far worse too. SUFC is always going to struggle financially, but what is the actual net effect? We are still signing players, still competing at the level we are at?

I think sometimes you should look at how things could be, we are far better off than Stockport or Darlington.

It has always been and will always remain an important factor to me. The demise of the club would be a very sad day indeed. However, for the oldies, I used to fly with Channel Airways but that did not stop them going bust. I was a fan of the pick 'n' mix at Woolworths but my pennies did not prevent their end. I also shop regularly at Sainsburys and am a Nectar card holder but that does not pursuade them to keep me in the know with their future plans or their association with the Blues. Some fans need to separate their love for the club from the business that is Southend United. Just as with Channel Airways, Woolworths and Sainsburys, just because we give them our money for products or services it gives us no say in their affairs or right to be kept in the loop with their plans or problems. We all like to think that as the life-blood of our club it gives us some right. It is true no business can survive without its customers but beyond your rights under trading standards you have no other form of redress. Every fan on here has an opinion as to how the club should be run or the players should perform but it is those at SUFC who are charged with making the decisions and have bought the right to do so. Whether they are right or wrong has no bearing on it. Its still our right to express an opinion but not our right to demand information or expect any better treatment than many customers in a myriad of businesses the world over.

It has always been and will always remain an important factor to me. The demise of the club would be a very sad day indeed. However, for the oldies, I used to fly with Channel Airways but that did not stop them going bust. I was a fan of the pick 'n' mix at Woolworths but my pennies did not prevent their end. I also shop regularly at Sainsburys and am a Nectar card holder but that does not pursuade them to keep me in the know with their future plans or their association with the Blues. Some fans need to separate their love for the club from the business that is Southend United. Just as with Channel Airways, Woolworths and Sainsburys, just because we give them our money for products or services it gives us no say in their affairs or right to be kept in the loop with their plans or problems. We all like to think that as the life-blood of our club it gives us some right. It is true no business can survive without its customers but beyond your rights under trading standards you have no other form of redress. Every fan on here has an opinion as to how the club should be run or the players should perform but it is those at SUFC who are charged with making the decisions and have bought the right to do so. Whether they are right or wrong has no bearing on it. Its still our right to express an opinion but not our right to demand information or expect any better treatment than many customers in a myriad of businesses the world over.

What a very sensible and objective post rab. Go to your room immediately!

More so now that 5 or 6 years ago. My boy has a season ticket with me and it's a proper boys afternoon out. I love the fact he supports Southend, knows the players names and hasn't had his head turned by his spammer supporting mates. I am proud to support SUFC but even prouder that my son does.

Rons antics a few years ago took me like others to my lowest point, I thought I didn't actually have an affiliation although I knew it was still my club. I'm starting to get some feeling back for the on the field personnel but find it hard to swallow the off field crap even still.

I also think jam man is spot on, we live in a world of instant news and in the past the off field stuff just wasn't reported so quickly and widely.

Still enjoy going but more for a social then the football but thats starting to go down the drain as all my mates are becoming wet lettuce :'(

Like any great love...it is not negotiable.
The club will have good seasons, bad seasons and indifferent season. The club will make decisions that put a huge smile on your face and many that will put a miserable frown on your face.

That is football and that is life.

Southend United, my club, my love...right or wrong, good or bad!

C'MON YOU SHRIMPERS! x

Back