• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Your Own Betting Rules

EastStandBlue

Life President
Following on from Ux's post in the General Football Betting thread, do you follow any betting rules that you set yourself, be it from past experience or superstition?

Personally, I never bet against Liverpool in Europe, never bet for/against Arsenal due to their rampant unpredictability and I never, ever bet for Southend in an accumulator purely because, if they lose, it ruins my weekend on a whole new level. Over the last two years especially I've learnt never to bet on the FA Cup and I try to avoid derby's as well.

I desperately avoid Fulham as well. Remember when Hodgson first turned up about two years ago to this weekend, and they turned over Liverpool to start a revival? Yeah, that cost me about £80k.

In addition to never (well, rarely) trusting Atleti or Spurs, I like to swerve clear of Newcastle and Man City too.

Never bet on friendlies unless you get some solid info (Paraguay played Athetic Bilbao a couple of months ago and I got word that Paraguya were playing their first XI and Athletic their reserves).

If Ladbrokes are going shorter than most on a horse owned by Coolmore, then it's worth taking a close look at the race. Our PR Director is very close to that stable.

Don't bet the overs on a game of rugby just because you are hoping to see an exciting game. ****ing idiot. :doh:

I never bet on games involving Barnsley and West Ham any more. They only ever get a result if I back against them. I also avoid betting on our games, never on club friendlies and, after this season, Chesterfield at home.

USUALLY
Bet for the underdog when it is a local derby!

Bet on underdogs in FA Cup for a laugh.

Going to start doing all results going for us, or all results going against us.

NEVER
I also never ever bet on Southend on an accy because it ruins the fun of checking all results.

I can't bet on Southend losing.

Never usually bet for the top of the table side against bottom of the table side.
Darlo won me a few bob the other day. And Pompey are going to beat Chelsk

NEVER BET ON COVENTRY DOING ANYTHING EVER anymore, because Darren Huckerby left about 10 years ago.

other than that! I bet really immaturely!

Another one - bet on Asian Handicaps as much as possible. The bookies have a theoretical margin of about 3% on thos markets, as opposed to the 12% they have on the normal 1-X-2 betting in a shop.

This is not advice I tend to heed myself as I am a mug.

I've never understood the figures involved in that market.

Let's take Almería vs Real Madrid tonight...

Almería are 2.04, +1.5 goals
Real are 1.84, -1.5 goals.

If you bet on Almería and they win, you win 2.04 times your stake

If you bet on Almería and they draw, you win 2.04 times your stake

If you bet on Almería and they lose by one goal, you win 2.04 times your stake

If you bet on Almería and they lose by a goal, you win 2.04 times your stake

If you bet on Almería and they lose by two goals or more, you lose.

If you bet on Real Madrid, they need to win by at least two goals for you to win 1.84 times your stake.

That's a fairly simple example. it gets more complicated when you start talking about split lines and suchlike!

What's the difference between that and a normal handicap?

Better margins for the punter as there is no 'draw' option. Also, if there is a split line, you may get back half of your stake if you lose. Example for this weekend:

Birmingham 2.10 -0.5, -1.0
Hull 1.78 +0.5,+1.0

Let's say you have £10 on Birmingham and they win 1-0. That gets split in to two £5 stakes.

Firstly, £5 on Birmigham -0.5. Take 0.5 off their score and they have still 'won' 0.5-0 so that £5 wins at 2.10.

Secondly, £5 on Birmingahm at -1.0. Take 1.0 off their score and it's Birmingham 0-0 Hull. So you get your money back there.

Total returns = £15.50

Rarely bet on an away team apart from that dont tend to have many trends. Wont be betting on Murray for a while though after he lost me 90 quid

Always avoid any scottish teams from any of the divisions, never put southend in are my main principles

Back