• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Your Shout

Javea Shrimper

You know the score : five sentences summing up your view on the game and your nomination for MOTM ...

WS

Time to be positive for once
We did less of the long balls and punts
Kept the ball on the floor
Never looked like we'd score
But at least we didn't lose to those c**tz

MOM Kevin Maher - proved surely to the non-believers why he is an automatic choice. Two or three times covering for Nicolau who'd gone walkies and ferocious in the middle of the park.

Gower starting to show the player he is.
Maher and Nicky's corners and free kicks
Jupp and Bently running around like loons
Gray getting closer to scoring
DREEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW

MOTM : Tricky out of Drew and Nicky for me.

Nicky's corners were awesome.
Clean sheet, goes without saying despite songs for flahavan ringing out from some people in the west.
Webby not scoring with his new mop haircut, which I personally like *prepared for backlash*. But one more point against relegation and we're not bottom!

MOTM: Bentley- Still our best player, box to box asever and tryed to attack and unlucky not to score.

When are we going to get someone better than Maher?
We hit the crossbar and if that had have gone in then I think it might have kick strated our scoring.
The players were booed off at half time and at the end, what a bunch of to**ers they all are, they're just doing it for the fun of it now.
Looking better, but unless we improve more we wont be looking at a win for quite a bit longer still.

MOM...Broughton.

Nice to see people using new lines to help along those of us who don't understand sentence structure. Generally we knocked the ball about quite well and played most of the game in their half. Cambridge looked very poor and I can only hope, for their sakes, that they're better at home. Gray and Drewe need to learn each other's games better because too often, Drewe would win flicks only to find Gray running the other way. Gray, Gower and Pettefer need to be more alert when we are trying to counter-attack.

MOTM: DREWWWWWWE. Only player on the pitch who rediscovered last season's drive and enthusiasm. Maher, again, was very sound though and deserves a mention.

It was a much better performance than at rochdale and at least it looks like most of the players were trying.
Nicky's corners are a vast improvement on anything we've seen recently.
Did Webb look like an idiot or what with his highlights & tan.
Wayne Gray - get your arse into gear!
Bentley is going to improving with each match and could of had a couple of goals today.

MOTM - Bentley. worked hard and looks the midfielder that we need to blag 10 goals a season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BluePartridge @ Aug. 21 2004,21:41)]When are we going to get someone better than Maher?
Did you see how many tackles he put in (and won) ? Did you see him covering for out of position full backs on more than one occassion ? Did you count how many passes of his went astray ? Or did you just wake up and think whatever Maher does I'm gonna say he was poor ?

You don't have to be a Paul Gascoigne to be a fantastic midfielder. We're poor enough as it is at the moment I hate to think of our prospects without Kev.

Plenty of positives to take from the game [clean sheet for 1] but I am worried where our first goal will come from. Tilson, obviously has a lot of faith in Gray, but how many more games does he need to create an opening he can score from? Defence was generally very solid and the centre of midfield was outstanding with Bentley giving his usual 110%.

I'd give 7/10 for the majority of the field, Maher 8/10 and MotM Bentley 8.5/10 who really SHOULD have scored!

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Aug. 22 2004,00:00)]We're poor enough as it is at the moment I hate to think of our prospects with Kev.
I think you meant 'without' Kev, surely?

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Aug. 21 2004,23:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BluePartridge @ Aug. 21 2004,21:41)]When are we going to get someone better than Maher?
Did you see how many tackles he put in (and won) ? Did you see him covering for out of position full backs on more than one occassion ? Did you count how many passes of his went astray ? Or did you just wake up and think whatever Maher does I'm gonna say he was poor ?

You don't have to be a Paul Gascoigne to be a fantastic midfielder. We're poor enough as it is at the moment I hate to think of our prospects without Kev.
Did you see how many times he stopped himself going forward when he was in a clear bit of run? He was always waiting for some-one else to do the work for him!
Not a good performance from Maher,IMHO.
Gray is joke.
Gower looks a lot better.
We was all over Cambridge and if we had scored in the 1st half then the flood gates would have opened for sure!

Why hasn't Nicky been taking corners before now ?
Can Nicky give Kev as masterclass in how to take a corner ?
How didn't we beat that lot ?
Why was Drew taken off and not Gray ?
A much better performance though but wheres a goal coming from ?

PS: Come on Tilly let us know what the problem with Corbett is
rock.gif

Maher with his experience should know better than to mouth offer the referee about an incident which had nothing to do with him, nearly ended up in dressing room, after reacting to foul later on.

We dominated possession, but did their keeper really have a save to make? Agreed that Maher had a good game but he was an idiot for getting himself booked, the ref had warned him and yet he kept mouthing off. The true leader on the pitch now is Spinner (not calling for a change in management, but I wonder what odds you'd get on him being our next boss?). For the first time in many years we appear to have someone who can take decent corners. Did anyone else notice that when they had a fail throw in front of the West Bank, we took the throw from exactly the same spot as they had and were penalised for taking it from the wrong place - ridiculous!

MOTM - Probably Spinner, as I said a true leader.

[b said:
[b said:

Maher can't tackle IMO.

Also Maher has got a good pass sure, but he just uses to go sideways ALL the time. He is so sure he's going to start every game(unless he's suspended) that he never seems to go for the killer pass forward and prefers to make himself look good by doing the neat but useless side pass. Give me one reason why Maher is captain?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BluePartridge @ Aug. 22 2004,13:37)]
[b said:
[b said:

Maher can't tackle IMO.

Also Maher has got a good pass sure, but he just uses to go sideways ALL the time. He is so sure he's going to start every game(unless he's suspended) that he never seems to go for the killer pass forward and prefers to make himself look good by doing the neat but useless side pass. Give me one reason why Maher is captain?  
rock.gif
Personally, I agree that someone else should be captain, but IMO a midfielder should wear the armband as he is central to the team... unfortunately in Maher's case, he doesn't have great command of his players, doesn't talk during the match [at least not a great deal!] and is not a natural leader!?!

So, who do we give it to?
rock.gif

Prior is a great leader, aggresively vocal and if looks could kill, we'd need a whole new squad!,
smile.gif
but as I said earlier [this is just my personal opinion!], I would prefer a midfielder to run things and at this time Maher is that man... unless Bentley is of that quality, which I doubt and I would sooner he didn't have any additional burdens right now!.

Let's see what happens in the next few games before judging who should be running things on the hallowed turf!

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BluePartridge @ Aug. 22 2004,13:37)]
[b said:
[b said:

Maher can't tackle IMO.

rock.gif
I'm not sure how much Premiership football you watch in addition to Southend but it's a luxury for the lower leagues because we can see how it should be done.

Seriously, count how many times in one game a world class player like Vieira passes sideways. I think you'll find it's more than you think. The reasoning for it? It changes the angle of the play. With the ball in one position, a player may have eight cambridge players all well positioned after a counter-attack broke down. One 20 yard pass sideways and suddenly, they all have to start thinking about their positions. Put together 5 or six quick passes against most third division sides and their positioning will be blown apart.

In spite of that, I completely disagree that Maher only passes it sideways. It's his urgency to keep the ball moving round the pitch that means he plays a lot of balls sideways but he's as good as anyone in our team at threading balls through or in to the frontmen.

As for the allegation of poor tackler, Maher has such a good level of tenacity, he'll always be in the opposition's face making it difficult and giving them no time. I can't help thinking you always want him to make the kind of strong sliding tackle that gets fans excited. Most of the time, these are just too risky or unnecesary.

I also feel quite a lot of sympathy regarding the booking. Sure, he must have said something to the ref (and also after he had been warned by the looks of it) but the decision looked absurd from the East Green. Think of your frustration if you're captaining a team that you've played with for 8 (?) years that has been well on top of the game but hasn't scored and the ref gives the other team a freekick when your team had some promising possession deep in the opposition half?

Nicky - great set pieces, but defending still leaves an awful lot to be desired.
Gower and Bentley will come good, and when they do, the results will come.
Pettefer had a poor game; Corbett must now surely get his chance on the right flank.
Still woefully slow in defence, and West Ham's pace will cut us to shreds on Tuesday - Lewis Hunt may be the answer, in for Edwards.
Gray - clueless, a total lack of footballing brain. Time for Dudders, IMHO.

MotM: Drooooooo. Massive presence up front, works so hard, puts so many opportunities on plates... time for someone (Lawrie? Tes? Not Gray, since he seems incapable of doing so) to tuck in.

Back