• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Your sufc 5 a side team?

You’re right regarding the United game, but maybe a tad harsh on Flavs. I’ve heard this a few times, that they were easy saves but I think he played a blinder. Seems so long ago now doesn’t it ..

Seems like only the other week to me.

I missed the first half because of issues on the trains so I may have a less emotional view of his first half performance having only seen it after the event when I knew the result. I was a bag of nerves second half though.

I still stand by the argument that there's not one save though that I felt wasn't a save that any other keeper on our books wouldn't have made 99 times out of 100. I compare that to the Mildenhall save v Chelsea from inside the 6 yard box which I instinctively thought was in and my heart sunk only for Mildenhall to react and get down and across to it and scoop it away. In contrast the Ronaldo efforts were all from outside the area giving him more time to react and basically hammered down the middle at a nice height. Of course Flav's diminutive size means he has to stretch for saves that a bigger keeper with a bigger reach wouldn't have to, which can sometimes make it look more spectacular but even he didn't really have to stretch too much. Was there a shot much more than an arm's length to the side of him?

I tried to find an extended highlights package but could only come up with this
. Ignore the commentator hyperbole: they are hit hard but all saves a professional keeper has to be making. Anyone have a link to any other extended highlights?

Question. How many professional keepers in the premiership and Europe have failed to stop Renaldo shots. Answer. Loads. Why does the commentator (and the press but what do they know) praise the save. Cos it's a good one. No hyperbole. Just the facts.

Question. How many professional keepers in the premiership and Europe have failed to stop Renaldo shots. Answer. Loads. Why does the commentator (and the press but what do they know) praise the save. Cos it's a good one. No hyperbole. Just the facts.

Professional keepers fail to save Ronaldo shots when the shots are better placed- in the corners rather than straight down the middle of the goal. Also most of his goals are from closer - when the keeper has less time to react - than his efforts against us.

Commentators resort to hyperbole to keep viewers watching. If you tell people what they are watching isn't very good their bosses get unhappy as viewers may switch off. So instead we are told everything is great.

Professional keepers fail to save Ronaldo shots when the shots are better placed- in the corners rather than straight down the middle of the goal. Also most of his goals are from closer - when the keeper has less time to react - than his efforts against us.

Commentators resort to hyperbole to keep viewers watching. If you tell people what they are watching isn't very good their bosses get unhappy as viewers may switch off. So instead we are told everything is great.

I think you have way underestimated the speed of a Ronaldo shot. A TV screen always makes it look slower, same in cricket. Most weeks on here we people blaming keepers for not coming for crosses they would never make anyway.

The days of a nice straight mitre multiplex 25 panel match ball are long gone. If you watch the Flavs save in the first half of the Man U game it is still a brilliant save because of the late swerve, the pace, he was going the wrong way and he still had to get a really strong hand to it.

Shooting at the middle of the goal with with the outside of the boot was a deliberate tactic by Ronaldo, possible copied from Beckham before him. The keeper is then either slightly going the wrong way or plants his feet ready for the block. That shot would have beaten a lot of top keepers but Flavs had great reactions.

Hutchinson must have used the same tactic for that corner from our right when McL scored. The defenders all thought it would be an outswinger. Shame the management didn't understand what he did and then let Mantom waste the next 20 corners.

I think you have way underestimated the speed of a Ronaldo shot. A TV screen always makes it look slower, same in cricket. Most weeks on here we people blaming keepers for not coming for crosses they would never make anyway.

The days of a nice straight mitre multiplex 25 panel match ball are long gone. If you watch the Flavs save in the first half of the Man U game it is still a brilliant save because of the late swerve, the pace, he was going the wrong way and he still had to get a really strong hand to it.

Shooting at the middle of the goal with with the outside of the boot was a deliberate tactic by Ronaldo, possible copied from Beckham before him. The keeper is then either slightly going the wrong way or plants his feet ready for the block. That shot would have beaten a lot of top keepers but Flavs had great reactions.

Hutchinson must have used the same tactic for that corner from our right when McL scored. The defenders all thought it would be an outswinger. Shame the management didn't understand what he did and then let Mantom waste the next 20 corners.
Aaaaah the mitre multiplex. Now we're talking. As a kid, to get a present on either bdays or Xmas of the 'proper' match ball was such a great thing. Crazy prices even back then! I don't even know what today's Adidas or mitre match ball costs! Dread to think.
As for a ball for 5 a side, think I'd go mitre.

Last edited:
You’re right regarding the United game, but maybe a tad harsh on Flavs. I’ve heard this a few times, that they were easy saves but I think he played a blinder. Seems so long ago now doesn’t it ..
Flahavan had a good game(mistake-free,there were very few crosses) but no better than that.
True,Ronaldo shot very hard and often, but always from quite some distance.What some on here failed to see or perhaps realise,none of those shots were heading for a top corner or indeed for much off-centre,Not one of Flahavan’s saves was exceptional.

I would play a 1-2-1 formation

Mel Capleton in goal (can offer a nice sweeper keeper role)

centre back would be Leo Roget ( he is tall and hench and would be sexy at the back)

left side of midfield my boy Michael Black ❤️

right side of midfield Mike Marsh

upfront Collymore.

Here is my “banter” five a side.

formation is 1-1-2

gk - Steve spittle

centre back - Chris perkins

midfield - Regis coulbault

strikers -yemi abiodun and Trevor firzpatrick

this five a side would be work beaters ;)

Flahavan had a good game(mistake-free,there were very few crosses) but no better than that.
True,Ronaldo shot very hard and often, but always from quite some distance.What some on here failed to see or perhaps realise,none of those shots were heading for a top corner or indeed for much off-centre,Not one of Flahavan’s saves was exceptional.
Ronaldo isn’t your average player, they were decently hit shots with spin. Just think Flavs deserves some kudos rather than “they were easy saves”.

Last edited:
Back