• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Your ultimate biscuit barrell?

Fox's Jam'un Creams
Dark Chocolate McVities
Fox's Golden Crunch Creams

I'd also like to question whether a Jaffa Cake is a biscuit????

Edit: The Jaffa Cake issue has already been raised.

Last edited:
Jaffa Cakes: Cake or Biscuit?

From Wikipedia;
In the UK, value added tax is payable on chocolate covered biscuits, but not on chocolate covered cakes. McVities defended its classification of Jaffa Cakes as cakes in court, producing a 12" (30 cm) Jaffa Cake to illustrate that its Jaffa Cakes were simply miniature cakes. McVities argued that a distinction between cakes and biscuits is, among other things, that biscuits would normally be expected to go soft when stale, whereas cakes would normally be expected to go hard. It was demonstrated to the Tribunal that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale. Other factors taken into account by the Chairman, Potter QC, included the name, ingredients, texture, size, packaging, marketing, presentation, appeal to children, and manufacturing process. Potter ruled that the Jaffa Cake is a cake. McVities therefore won the case and VAT is not paid on Jaffa Cakes in the UK.
However, in 1999, the Sun newspaper published a poll which suggested that the majority of its readers thought of the Jaffa Cake as a biscuit, not cake.

To my mind they're biscuits, you find them in the biscuit section not the cake section. But they're a biscuit that plays the system to get away with not paying VAT. They are the rebel of the biscuit world.

Isn't it something similar to the Pringle argument? Aren't they exempt from VAT because they contain barely any potato?

Great debate as I have been eating so many recently...

I am going to add a new biscuit to the list which I have not seen on anyone's yet

1) Malted Milk
2) Hobnobs
3) Milk Chocolate Digestives

That sir, would keep me very happy whether dunking in tea or milk!

1) McCalisters Chocolate chip shortbread(Lidl)
2) Mcvities Digestives (no cheap versions)
3) Mcvities Ginger Nuts!

I am massively happy that malted milk has fellow backing!!! That pleases me immensely!

Another shout for malted milk as well.

I'll add in chocolate digestives and shortbread as well. Now we've established this* sports people as biscuits?

*I should however point out that the ultimate biscuit barrel would contain more than three biscuits.

Anyone who hasn't included HobNobs in their list either hasn't tried them, has faulty taste buds or is just lying to gain notoriety.

Can I add honourable mentions to Fig Rolls, and back up the positive comments about shortbread.

Hobnobs are good, but they aren't malted milk.

Cannot beat:

1) Fox's Viennese chocolate dunked in coffee
2) Mcvities plain chololate digestives - again dunked in hot coffee and then lick the chocolate off, mmmmmmmmmmmmm
3) Dead fly biscuits aka Garobaldi

Back