• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Youth Team and coaches wage problems

i have been told he only does 3 days a week ??
He does have other business interests. But I'd imagine being CEO of Southend (or any large company) you're expected to just put in the number of hours that are required and be on call 24 x 7. He might only be in the office 3 days but I'd be surprised if he only put in 24 hours of work a week (3 x 8 hour days)

He does have other business interests. But I'd imagine being CEO of Southend (or any large company) you're expected to just put in the number of hours that are required and be on call 24 x 7. He might only be in the office 3 days but I'd be surprised if he only put in 24 hours of work a week (3 x 8 hour days)

umm ... 1 to 3 days a week with other business interests ..

not quite the super hero I was expecting ...

Perhaps if you think he is not pulling his weight you could pop in and help him out...all unpaid of course!

i assume he keeps an eye on what the fans think -

if you want to be a CEO of a sports business you better get a thick skin ...

i mean I have no idea what his rate is - or where he comes in the pecking order for getting paid ...

Now that the coaches have been paid. It is time to clarify a few points that shrimperjon got wrong.
The coaches were and have never been on strike. Although going unpaid they carried on coaching as they care too much for the players in their care to do anything that would hinder their development. The person who told shrimperjon, although an employee is not a coach and has since apologised to his fellow employees for the distress caused by the title of this thread. In future please get facts right if you going to make potentially explosive statements regarding people who are and continue to work in a very stressful situation.

Tom L was working full time for us initially and the plan always was to go down to 3 days a week but that he would always remain accessible, as he has been. In fact he was doing probably more like 6 or 7 days a week due to his passion for the club and although hes reduced the documented time to 3 days a week, he puts so much time into southend its crazy!. Still most likely doing a full week with all the extra hours he puts in to SUFC. Fortunately Tom has a suppportive understanding family. Reducing to 3 days was to enable him to make up his money by doing his normal occupation as well. Southend obviously were never going to match what he could earn in his normal occupational work etc. 3 days is purely a headline because he does way more than that a week for Southend. Plus Im aware he hasnt taken any wages for a few months due to trying to pay everyone else first.
When the initial plan of full time reducing to 3 days was put in place no one knew the financial muddle Rons activities would provoke which has caused much more burden of hours on Tom than expected.
I wont be sharing my source so no point asking! Everyone can make their own mind up if they feel its accurate or not.

Tom L was working full time for us initially and the plan always was to go down to 3 days a week but would always be accessible as he has been. In fact he was doing probably more like 6 or 7 days a week due to his passion for the club and although hes reduced the documented time to 3 days a week, he puts so much time into southend its crazy!. Fortunately Tom has a lovely suppportive understanding family. Reducing to 3 days was enable him to make up his money by doing his normal occupation as well. Southend obviously were never going to match what he could earn in his normal occupational work etc. 3 days is purely a headline because he does way more than that a week for Southend. Plus Im aware he hasnt taken any wages for a few months due to trying to pay everyone else first.
I wont be sharing my source so no point asking! Everyone can make their own mind up if they feel its accurate or not.
Let's not measure in days, let's measure in hours. I suspect he's doing far more hours than 3 days would equate to.

It is not how long you are there that matters. What is important is how you spend that time.

Someone on Twitter is saying that Ron refused to pay for Arnold’s operation which is why it’s taken so long. And allegedly he did the same with Cardwell, so Harry’s dad ended up footing the bill.

Anyone know if that’s correct?
Someone on twitter said “black is white”
Now that the coaches have been paid. It is time to clarify a few points that shrimperjon got wrong.
The coaches were and have never been on strike. Although going unpaid they carried on coaching as they care too much for the players in their care to do anything that would hinder their development. The person who told shrimperjon, although an employee is not a coach and has since apologised to his fellow employees for the distress caused by the title of this thread. In future please get facts right if you going to make potentially explosive statements regarding people who are and continue to work in a very stressful situation.
this post illustrates perfectly why it’s so difficult for the majority of us who are not in the know to have a clue what is going on. The OP explained how he received the information- 1st hand , from someone he knew ,” who was a coach “ and therefore it seems reasonable ( to me) to take it at face value.

I can understand how somethings get blurred and assumptions are made - ie youth team not paid, going on strike, youth team coaches not paid - assumption ( closely followed by SZ FACT) is that coaches and players are going on strike.
It’s all a bit sad especially when it just creates more despair and bad feeling amongst supporters, and more to the point in this case impacts club employees.

Assuming shriperjohn agrees with your statement it would be good if the original post was edited. I am guessing many won’t read past the first page and in years to come this will be remembered by many as “fact”

Back