• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Youth unemployment hits record levels

From my experience and I am only 25 I left school at 16 I went to work and I blagged my way into decent paying jobs then walked the walk its not always about what a piece of paper says your qualified in you need to be able to sell it and work it.

What I think needs to change in the education system and I dont know how practical it is - is that we need to look at kids needs and abilitys from the age of say 14 if a kid is not bright when it comes to English or maths but is good with there hands lets get them more work learning a trade bricklayer or carpenter etc....

Lets prepare the student for work at 16 not always push them towards further education

Like I said you can go to uni all you like and get all the degrees under the sun but if you have no style or swagger or even the chat you will never reach your full potential.

One thing I have learnt its not always what you know but who you know!

Too Young!

As several other esteemed posters have implied, the main problem lies with an education culture that refuses to give the little darlings the smallest dose of reality. They genuinely believe that a couple of GCSEs in soft subjects will get them through the door of a top merchant bank, when the only heights they are truly ready to reach are the top shelves at Tesco. Minimum wage jobs exist for people with minimum skill levels - the hoodied masses need to be made to realise that.

I guess Crusty is too young to remember Alf Garnett!

From my experience and I am only 25 I left school at 16 I went to work and I blagged my way into decent paying jobs then walked the walk its not always about what a piece of paper says your qualified in you need to be able to sell it and work it.

What I think needs to change in the education system and I dont know how practical it is - is that we need to look at kids needs and abilitys from the age of say 14 if a kid is not bright when it comes to English or maths but is good with there hands lets get them more work learning a trade bricklayer or carpenter etc....

Lets prepare the student for work at 16 not always push them towards further education

Like I said you can go to uni all you like and get all the degrees under the sun but if you have no style or swagger or even the chat you will never reach your full potential.

And how you carry yourself too, the right amount of confidence works wonders.

Finally got a bite from obl - thought you had toughened up a bit nan x :happy:

Finally got a bite from obl - thought you had toughened up a bit nan x :happy:

Is that what the countless neg has been about? Just to get me to neg you back?! Pathetic and completely off topic, why not stop goading and concentrate on posting sensible stuff which I know you can do.

Good post Scott, in many ways my generation were pretty lucky in so much as a kid could leave school andstart work almost immediately. I accept that many of the jobs could and were non skilled, but in the school system we did have the benefit of the sort of streaming you mention, and good career guidance was on hand. Plus of course apprenticeships in lots of areas such as car mechanics, bricklaying, sparks, chippie etc. Ok for a few years these were crap paid, but once you got through blokes started earning good money.

To take your point of who you know, this was certainly the case if you wanted to get into the print, docks or Fords as they mostly operated a closed shop and a person would get in if they had relations there or new the right people.

Back