• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zak Brunt

"Now, it seems the Shrimpers are looking to strike a fresh player agreement with the Blades this winter, with Neal emerging on their radar.
The young midfielder has put in some strong displays for Kettering this season, with Kevin Maher’s side keeping tabs on his performances. Neal has been a mainstay in the side at Latimer Park, operating as both a central midfielder and left-midfielder, with his only absences from the side coming as a result of suspensions.

Ready for a step up?​

After impressing in the National League North, it seems a move up to the National League is the logical next step for Neal.
If Southend are able to strike a deal for the Blades prodigy, it will be interesting to see how he fares in the fifth tier. The 20-year-old’s only other competitive appearances have come in Sheffield United’s academy, featuring for the U18s on a number of occasions.
Although the transfer window is open, there is no time constraint on when a deal has to be completed. Non-league clubs are free to strike deals with EFL clubs outside the transfer window as they don’t have to abide by said windows.!

Hi all,

Sorry I haven’t been on for a while but we had to let the club announce that Zak had left before we did, purely as a matter of respect.

Zak and the family want you to know how grateful we are to you the supporters. The welcome, the patience and positivity virtually all of you showed was very classy.

Zak will forever have a place in his heart for you all. He was a 19 year old kid a long way from home and each one of you played a massive part in helping him settle in.

Thank you ?
For the last couple of Seasons we seem to have lacked a player who had and showed the same passion for the shirt as the fan base. Zak came in and showed that from the first match he played. Some players on loan do not really show a "feel" for the club they play for in a spell. So please pass a thanks for his effort. Tell him he must have an ankle injury so he cannot play against us later in the season lol...really glad he enjoyed his time here and if ever in the future a team mate is considering a loan here, perhaps he would put a word in for us.

Lastly a big thanks for his effort whilst here and very best wishes for his future, may it be long and accomplished.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Sorry I haven’t been on for a while but we had to let the club announce that Zak had left before we did, purely as a matter of respect.

Zak and the family want you to know how grateful we are to you the supporters. The welcome, the patience and positivity virtually all of you showed was very classy.

Zak will forever have a place in his heart for you all. He was a 19 year old kid a long way from home and each one of you played a massive part in helping him settle in.

Thank you ?
It was our pleasure to see him play Dad, a lad with both talent and desire. Wishing him all the very best for the future (p.s. I still say he looks like Jamie Johnson!).

Have a day off from being annoyed that a player chose to go to a rival? I hope there's more than one of us who actually cares about Southend United more than they care about Brunt's career.

He gave his all whilst here and respected the badge. That means more to me than where he chooses to play his football after us.

Notts county aren't our rival. They are a club on the up and based in a great city who will likely play in league 2 next season.

We will be here battling Weymouth against relegation.

They are hardly rivals.

In the same sense that Chelsea are rivals to Burnley or Norwich.

Last 4 days meetings /calls.

Mile Jedinak -Aston Villa
Guy Branston -Leicester City
Gary Brazil-Nottingham Forest
Andy Hughes-Norwich City
Gary Probert -Ipswich Town
Carlo Cudicini -Chelsea
Phil Robinson -Man City
Ricky Martin -West Ham United
Lee Dykes-Brentford
Sean Dyche-Burnley
Barry Fry -Peterborough
Mark Bright- Palace
Kevin Wilkin -Brackley
Danny Butterfield -Southampton
David Hibbert-Stoke City
David Woodfine-Liverpool
Lee Barraclough -Harrogate
Les Ferdinand -QPR
Danny Cowley -Pompey
Darren Moore- Sheffield Wednesday
Paul Terry -WBA
Ben Strong -Cambridge

Plus half a dozen agents.

Hope they're relevant enough for you.
Jedinak is an absolute beast.... watched the Palace documentary on amazon and was so impressed by his winning mentality .... whatever he sends our way can only be impressive.

Great job Stan!

He gave his all whilst here and respected the badge. That means more to me than where he chooses to play his football after us.

Notts county aren't our rival. They are a club on the up and based in a great city who will likely play in league 2 next season.

We will be here battling Weymouth against relegation.

They are hardly rivals.

In the same sense that Chelsea are rivals to Burnley or Norwich.
Anyone in this league is a rival. With our support and history, Notts County are one of the few teams at this level who really should measure up to us but too many of our supporters seem comfortable with begging for scraps from teams we used to beat.

Anyone in this league is a rival. With our support and history, Notts County are one of the few teams at this level who really should measure up to us but too many of our supporters seem comfortable with begging for scraps from teams we used to beat.
Agreed, but we are where we are, and whether we like it or not, we have to build from here.

UTB

So it was his choice to go to another team in our league? Not really understanding the love in for a player who produced close to **** all while he was here (3 assists?).
I think the overwhelming positivity from Shrimpers is down to the fact he gave his all for every minute he played. What he contributed is subjective and I personally would have liked him to have shown a better level of consistency and maybe ‘pull the trigger’ more frequently.

That said I don’t think you could deny he gave nothing short of 100%.

And finally he made the decision that he felt would best serve his development, could prove to be the right decision or the wrong one, but I for one am pleased he’s confident enough to face new challenges.

Anyway, Zak is an ex player now, it’s all about Southend United pushing on and climbing up the league, UTS ?

LOAN players are on LOAN which means we have temporary call on their services. Their time with us is limited by the original agreement with the parent club, or, the attitude of the parent club which might change at any time.
Because LOAN players are on LOAN they eventually move on.
ZB has moved on. He was not the first Southend loan player to do so and will neither will he be the last.
If you have an issue with him moving on my advice would be simple: get over it!

LOAN players are on LOAN which means we have temporary call on their services. Their time with us is limited by the original agreement with the parent club, or, the attitude of the parent club which might change at any time.
Because LOAN players are on LOAN they eventually move on.
ZB has moved on. He was not the first Southend loan player to do so and will neither will he be the last.
If you have an issue with him moving on my advice would be simple: get over it!
I don't have any issue with him moving on. But it seems like he chose Notts County when he could have stayed with us, so I don't get the fawning idolatry for him. It's not like he kept us up almost single handed, and then was sold for enough money to finance the building of a team that would have been promoted to the Premier League, like another chap who's posted on this thread.

Last 4 days meetings /calls.

Mile Jedinak -Aston Villa
Guy Branston -Leicester City
Gary Brazil-Nottingham Forest
Andy Hughes-Norwich City
Gary Probert -Ipswich Town
Carlo Cudicini -Chelsea
Phil Robinson -Man City
Ricky Martin -West Ham United
Lee Dykes-Brentford
Sean Dyche-Burnley
Barry Fry -Peterborough
Mark Bright- Palace
Kevin Wilkin -Brackley
Danny Butterfield -Southampton
David Hibbert-Stoke City
David Woodfine-Liverpool
Lee Barraclough -Harrogate
Les Ferdinand -QPR
Danny Cowley -Pompey
Darren Moore- Sheffield Wednesday
Paul Terry -WBA
Ben Strong -Cambridge

Plus half a dozen agents.

Hope they're relevant enough for you.
Tbf Brown would be trying to sign most of them as players

I don't have any issue with him moving on. But it seems like he chose Notts County when he could have stayed with us, so I don't get the fawning idolatry for him. It's not like he kept us up almost single handed, and then was sold for enough money to finance the building of a team that would have been promoted to the Premier League, like another chap who's posted on this thread.
With the greatest of respect I would not class my appreciation of his efforts as 'fawning idolatory'. He came to us on loan for a specified period, gave his all during that time, and, most on here would say we looked a better team when he played. For that he receives my appreciation and best wishes for the future.
He is a young man making his way in the game, and, if he did in fact choose Notts County over us that is his privilege. I would not second guess anyone trying to make their way in such an uncertain profession.

I think the overwhelming positivity from Shrimpers is down to the fact he gave his all for every minute he played. What he contributed is subjective and I personally would have liked him to have shown a better level of consistency and maybe ‘pull the trigger’ more frequently.

And finally he made the decision that he felt would best serve his development, could prove to be the right decision or the wrong one, but I for one am pleased he’s confident enough to face new challenges.

Anyway, Zak is an ex player now, it’s all about Southend United pushing on and climbing up the league, UTS ?

Zak should get credit for the first goal at Altrincham. I doubt it shows it on the 2 minute clip but there is some extended highlights.

It was his movement from our first throw and his disguised pass to Ralph that was top quality. He even got some of our more 'flat footed' players to create him some space to receive the throw.

I have watched hundreds of sloppy throws in the last few years that never buy the thrower time or space to be able to cross the ball. Its not just fitness but a sharp mind that counts. Good luck to Zak always looked up for it and had a smile on his face.

Those are two qualities that will help any young man in his chosen profession. ?

Last edited:
He chose to go and play for a team with better players. If we were less bad then maybe he would have stayed. Time will tell whether the lifting of the embargo will make a difference to our squad, but lining up alongside dunne and Ferguson so he gets shunted left probably gets annoying.

Cheers Borat, I hope the County fans treat your lad as well as we did. Thought he was class for what that’s worth and he will be missed.

Totally agree with your last point though, he’s moved on, we have a new lad in to replace him so let’s throw our full support behind him and hopefully he will add as much or more to the team as Zac did.

Not sure if you have already been asked but do you have any info on Harrison Neal that you’d care to share?

Hi all,

Thank you ?
Sure many have said before, but it was a pleasure to have a young lad play for the shirt and care as much as the fans. Zak will always be welcome back. Good luck to him for the future

Cheers Borat, I hope the County fans treat your lad as well as we did. Thought he was class for what that’s worth and he will be missed.

Totally agree with your last point though, he’s moved on, we have a new lad in to replace him so let’s throw our full support behind him and hopefully he will add as much or more to the team as Zac did.

Not sure if you have already been asked but do you have any info on Harrison Neal that you’d care to share?
FWIW my opinion on Nealy is that he’s a tidy possession player, a born leader and doesn’t avoid a tackle. Has a nice accurate long range pass.

He’s generally a sittting midfielder but not afraid to get involved in the final third when covered, or at set pieces.

Yes he’s got his weeknesses as any young developing player has, but I think he could do well for you.

I am biased though as he’s a great lad and incredibly grounded.

FWIW my opinion on Nealy is that he’s a tidy possession player, a born leader and doesn’t avoid a tackle. Has a nice accurate long range pass.

He’s generally a sittting midfielder but not afraid to get involved in the final third when covered, or at set pieces.

Yes he’s got his weeknesses as any young developing player has, but I think he could do well for you.

I am biased though as he’s a great lad and incredibly grounded.
Thanks, that’s really good to hear.

All the best for the future.

Back