• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zoner Community / Part One: What's YOUR Southend United story?

Moved from Malvern to Eastwood in 1968. Dad was a rugby lover and mum liked cricket, so football was completely new to me.
My sister, who had a BF who was a Shrimper took me to my first game, circa 1971 or 72. We always stood on the North Bank and I loved it. She took me to Upton Park twice and I found it mind numbingly boring. The love affair was born and here we are almost 50 years later.

Moved from Malvern to Eastwood in 1968. Dad was a rugby lover and mum liked cricket, so football was completely new to me.
My sister, who had a BF who was a Shrimper took me to my first game, circa 1971 or 72. We always stood on the North Bank and I loved it. She took me to Upton Park twice and I found it mind numbingly boring. The love affair was born and here we are almost 50 years later.

Like some others, I have never lived in the area, even though my grandparents and parents both lived in the Ashingdon/ Rochford area. My dad moved for work before I was born over the river to Dartford. My uncle took me to a game in 1974 against Reading I think, but I instead spent the next couple of years going to Dartford games and for a season to Gillingham with a schoolmate who supported them. At the beginning season 1977/78, I came to the first few home games by myself as I was visiting my Nan. Being on the North Bank when we came back from a couple of goals down was great I was right behind the goal when Gerry Fell smashed in the 4th goal and I was hooked. After my first away game at Leamington in the FA Cup later that season, I along with a few others was chased back to the station by some unfriendly locals. We all sat together on the train home and for the next 10 years I stood in the West Stand with brothers Gary and Terry, Graham and Kev, from the Benfleet area, through some good and bad seasons. Particularly remember the unbeaten season at home in 81 when even the birth of my first son didn’t stop me and my wife seeing every game!
Moving to Cornwall in 1988 took us away and for many years we didn’t get to any home games, missing arguably our most successful times. Over the past 20 years, we have tried to get to all the West Country away games and a few home games. Highlights have been Swansea away and the obvious Cup matches and Play off successes. Sadly, lost touch with the other guys in the early 1990’s, don’t know if they still go, but if anyone knows them it would be good to catch up. As these days unless the wife comes it’s not quite the same!

I had no choice,

I was born in Malden Road Southend directly opposite Southend's then ground the Stadium, just the distance of the width of a road to the ground. We lived in an upstairs flat and from the bedroom had a wonderful view of the pitch,

My father came from Wakering and in the early post war years was a regular.

My mother was born in Rochford but lived in Eastern Avenue opposite Jones memorial ground. My grandfather (who died before I was born) Supported Southend from the Kursaal days if not earler at the original Roots Hall. I know of three of the games games he went to Derby in the Cup 1926 (he walked from Ashingdon with my Uncle) Chesterfield away in the Cup in 1938 which was abandoned and Barnet away 1946 he went with my Uncle and my Dad.

My Dad used to take me to early evening games at the Stadium when I was in my pushchair to give my Mum a break.

In 1962 (aged 10) another uncle gave me a ticket to see Southend boys play Walthamstow at Jones Memorial ground (yes you needed tickets) That season I started watched the first team.

1964-65 I saw all home games and also went to my first away games and saw four that year. Despite being a Southend family I was going by myself or with my mates

Relegation in 1966 started the most wonderful period with Best and Moore etc.

In 1988 I took my son to his first Southend game a 6-2 defeat at Notts County but he was immediately hooked as is now my Grandson as well.

No choice, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

IN THE first of our series speaking to Southend United fans, Paul Harrison looks back on his time watching the Shrimpers at Roots Hall.

More...

My Dad, who has been a fan for 55 years, took myself and my brother Al to our first game against Halesowen in the FA Cup first round in November 1986. I was 9 and Al was 7. We stood in the West Stand and won the game 4-1 but I can't remember a single thing about it!, Regardless we were both hooked and that was that. We went to a few more games that season and our younger brother Ian also went to his first Southend game, we ended up being promoted and one outstanding memory was the Wolves game at home when we beat them 1-0 and their fans weren't too happy about it!

One of my favourite players in the early days of RH was Sammy Mcilroy.He was a great ball player and he won his only Northern Ireland cap while at Southend. The match was played at Wembley and he scored in a 3 1 victory against England. In about 1974 I had to go to Belfast to work in my firms office for .one week on holiday relief. We were handling insurance claims during those troubled times. Because of those problems we travelled out of Belfast in the evenings to eat and on one occasion went to Donagedee . Upon walking into a small bar I found it belonged to Sammy and was able to have a very interesting conversation with him. The walls were covered with photographs of him with his international cap and it was a very unexpected and great evening.

One of my favourite players in the early days of RH was Sammy Mcilroy.He was a great ball player and he won his only Northern Ireland cap while at Southend. The match was played at Wembley and he scored in a 3 1 victory against England. In about 1974 I had to go to Belfast to work in my firms office for .one week on holiday relief. We were handling insurance claims during those troubled times. Because of those problems we travelled out of Belfast in the evenings to eat and on one occasion went to Donagedee . Upon walking into a small bar I found it belonged to Sammy and was able to have a very interesting conversation with him. The walls were covered with photographs of him with his international cap and it was a very unexpected and great evening.

His niece came on here when Sammy died and she read all the stuff about him and was overjoyed to read stuff about him.

Think you may mean Sammy McCrory (Samuel McKee McCrory) who played for Southend United for 5 seasons 1955-1960, he joining on the 1st June 1955 from Plymouth Argyle and left 1st May 1960 joining Cambridge United.

In his 5 seasons he made total of 222 appearances scoring 99 goals (205 League with 91 goals and 17 FA Cup with 8 goals).

He also scored the first ever goal at the new Roots Hall on the opening day of the 1955/56 season on the 20th August 1955 in our 3-1 win against Norwich City.

His only appearance and goal for Northern Ireland came against England at Wembley in 1957 in their 3-1 win.

Sammy played for Linfield, Swansea Town, Ipswich Town, Plymouth Argyle, Southend United, Cambridge United, and Crusaders during his career.

After retiring from football, he ran the Port O Call Pub in Donaghadee, Northern Ireland which overlooked the Donaghadee Harbour, and his friend George Best performed the opening ceremony back in 1969.

Port-O-Call.jpg
Sam McCrory's Port O Call Pub Donaghadee

Sammy passed away on the 4th May 2011 at the age of 86

RIP Sammy

Link to Thread about Sammy when he passed away

Think you may mean Sammy McCrory (Samuel McKee McCrory) who played for Southend United for 5 seasons 1955-1960, he joining on the 1st June 1955 from Plymouth Argyle and left 1st May 1960 joining Cambridge United.

In his 5 seasons he made total of 222 appearances scoring 99 goals (205 League with 91 goals and 17 FA Cup with 8 goals).

He also scored the first ever goal at the new Roots Hall on the opening day of the 1955/56 season on the 20th August 1955 in our 3-1 against Norwich City.

His only appearance and goal for Northern Ireland came against England at Wembley in 1957 in their 3-1 win.

Sammy played for Linfield, Swansea Town, Ipswich Town, Plymouth Argyle, Southend United, Cambridge United, and Crusaders during his career.

After retiring from football, he ran the Port O Call Pub in Donaghadee, Northern Ireland which overlooked the Donaghadee Harbour, and his friend George Best performed the opening ceremony back in 1969.

View attachment 11804
Sam McCrory's Port O Call Pub Donaghadee

Sammy passed away on the 4th May 2011 at the age of 86

RIP Sammy

Link to Thread about Sammy when he passed away
Thanks for correcting me shows I have been around for a while!

So my story started in the summer of 1989. Up until then I had no interest in football. My Father and brother were regular visitors to Roots Hall but I didn't want to join them. I had been dragged along in the 70's and 80's and I remember standing on the old South bank. I spent matches running up and down that terrace. The only thing I looked forward to was a Bovril at half time. I hated it when Southend scored because I didn't like loud noises as a child, luckily It didnt happen often:Smile:.

So to the summer of 89. I was 19 and had managed to evade football throughout my adolescence, My older brother had discovered women and my Dad was on his own going to games. I couldn't let him go on his own so whilst I was at a loose end and he caught me in a moment of weakness I agreed to go to a pre-season firendly against Basildon United. For the first time I actually watched the game and surprisingly I actually enjoyed it! Such a polar change to go from disliking football to actually enjoying it.

After the Basildon friendly I agreed with Dad I would go the league games. My first game at Roots Hall where I would have actually watched the game would have been vs York on Friday 18th August 1989. Apparently Walsh and Crown scored in a 2-0 win. It's funny but I always struggle to remember indivual games and only remember some moments. I remember Brett Angell's crashing half volley against Swindon (still one of my favourite goals). The league win over West Ham comes to mind as do the Cup trips to the Millenium stadium and of course the fantastic day at Wembley when we beat Wycombe to go back to the 3rd Tier. I hugged my Dad after those penalties and thanked him for introducing me to something so special.

So we are now both Season ticket holders and have been for a number of years. We still go together and look forward to the games (apart from this season). My brother comes occassionally when he gets a free weekend from the kids. So we are all back together.

I really miss the football, despite how bad things were for us this season. This club binds us and creates an unbreakable bond between us. It gives us something that we need. For me it gives me a break from work pressures and the general monotony of life.

I know at this current time, football isn't really that important. Hopefully one day soon we can all get back on with our lives and talk about the trials and tribulations of our club.

Keep well all and I look forward to the time we are arguing about formations and team selections!

So my story started in the summer of 1989. Up until then I had no interest in football. My Father and brother were regular visitors to Roots Hall but I didn't want to join them. I had been dragged along in the 70's and 80's and I remember standing on the old South bank. I spent matches running up and down that terrace. The only thing I looked forward to was a Bovril at half time. I hated it when Southend scored because I didn't like loud noises as a child, luckily It didnt happen often:Smile:.

So to the summer of 89. I was 19 and had managed to evade football throughout my adolescence, My older brother had discovered women and my Dad was on his own going to games. I couldn't let him go on his own so whilst I was at a loose end and he caught me in a moment of weakness I agreed to go to a pre-season firendly against Basildon United. For the first time I actually watched the game and surprisingly I actually enjoyed it! Such a polar change to go from disliking football to actually enjoying it.

After the Basildon friendly I agreed with Dad I would go the league games. My first game at Roots Hall where I would have actually watched the game would have been vs York on Friday 18th August 1989. Apparently Walsh and Crown scored in a 2-0 win. It's funny but I always struggle to remember indivual games and only remember some moments. I remember Brett Angell's crashing half volley against Swindon (still one of my favourite goals). The league win over West Ham comes to mind as do the Cup trips to the Millenium stadium and of course the fantastic day at Wembley when we beat Wycombe to go back to the 3rd Tier. I hugged my Dad after those penalties and thanked him for introducing me to something so special.

So we are now both Season ticket holders and have been for a number of years. We still go together and look forward to the games (apart from this season). My brother comes occassionally when he gets a free weekend from the kids. So we are all back together.

I really miss the football, despite how bad things were for us this season. This club binds us and creates an unbreakable bond between us. It gives us something that we need. For me it gives me a break from work pressures and the general monotony of life.

I know at this current time, football isn't really that important. Hopefully one day soon we can all get back on with our lives and talk about the trials and tribulations of our club.

Keep well all and I look forward to the time we are arguing about formations and team selections!
I am taking the opportunity to sort out cupboards and came across this photo taken at a sportsman dinner in the Far Post bar many years ago. I am NOT the one with the whiskers.

00F330AF-F2A6-4DF5-8046-207070A0B830.jpeg

They were the days I have a few more Nobby Stiles Fred Trueman Jackie Charlton come to mind. One guest on my table was about 5 ft 3 and when he went to have his photo taken with Tommy Docherty Tommy’s first words were centre half I assume.

Back