• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zoner Community / Part One: What's YOUR Southend United story?

As we're going to be in something of a slump due to the lack of games and the discussion that goes around them, I was thinking about how we could turn a negative into a positive, and it occurred to me this place works best when we're acting as a community. So I thought it might be a good time to pull out some of the interesting stories from our Zoners SUFC supporting careers.

Question 1: Who or what is to blame for bringing YOU into this tough but eventful, lower-league club supporting life?

For me, I fell into football through the TV and grew up as a fan of Liverpool in the twilight years of Ian Rush, Peter Beardsley, Jan Molby, Ronnie Whelan, John Barnes, Bruce Grobbelaar, Steve McMahon, Mike Marsh etc not knowing what a thrill it would be later in my supporting career that I'd get to see the two in bold playing for a local club I'm not sure I'd even heard of but which would become part of my life. I never went to games. I never knew the experience of watching a team from the terraces. In fact, like many kids, with my childish naivety, I didn't even have a notion that football even existed as a professional sport outside of the "big club" structure that I was watching on TV. I just knew I loved the drama and competition of football and these guys were my heroes.

It was just before the 1991-1992 season when @overseas shrimper (a committed regularly before he left these shores) introduced me to the pains and delights of Southend United and what it meant to be PART of a real crowd in a stadium. My Dad had taken me to a Hammers game when I was a lot younger but it had really passed me by and I was far from a part of things. I still follow Liverpool which is interesting these days with the yin and yang of following the best and worst teams in world football at the same time! A strange conundrum that after 30 years watching Liverpool fail to land that title, it might still get snatched from them while a potential void season could still yet see my true love avoid the drop! But that’s a different topic entirely.

I was hooked on Southend United from the moment I entered the Roots Hall stadium though, even if I still can't legitimately place the fixture in time. In my head, it was a home pre-season game against Leyton Orient but it was all pretty vague as a memory. I do vaguely remember us going a goal down though and having to tell my Dad (with all of my experience watching live football!!) that you "don't applaud opposition goals". In fairness, he's never done it again since! I suppose that I was really in it for life when I felt the atmosphere of a Friday night game under lights, revelling in the delights of the North Bank as an 18 year old.

Since I was at Uni at the time, I wasn't able to attend many games. But these were heady times for being a Southend United supporter. Our first promotion to the second division and a bloody good team - beating Derby County in our first away match of the campaign to finish the season in mid-table just one spot below Wolves, but ahead of teams like Millwall, Sunderland, Newcastle United and Brighton.

Leaving Uni coincided with the opening of Southend's new two-tier South Stand, and I've been a fervent season ticket holder there ever since. I even published a book on the Blues - “The Southend United Yearbook 1996/1997” and sold about 500 copies!

But mainly, for 26 years I’ve got to spend time and watch the games week on week with my Dad which is a truly precious thing. He comes to my house, we drive up together, park early and have a meal together somewhere - either one of the cafes or the Fish House. I wouldn't swap these moments for anything and in time to come I know I'm going to look back on these moments and treasure them.

Following Southend is a journey with ups and downs. Pretty tough right now. I just hope we can survive this current crisis on and off the pitch, inside and outside of our club, and come back stronger so we can create some more amazing memories. I’m sure there are still some great times ahead!

So over to you. What’s your story? Who or what is to blame for getting YOU onto your Southend United journey?

I have to confess that I had a soft spot for Liverpool as a young kid but I wanted to watch a “live” game and constantly bugged my Dad to take me to one. My reward (or punishment) was a trip to the Hall and after that it was SUFC. I loved the smell of burgers, the banter, the songs, the match programme. I used to happily counter the stick I’d get from Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham fans who’d say “why do you watch Southend?” .. I’d reply “they’re my local team and I want to watch matches”. Simple to me. Why support a team you can hardly ever watch?

Edited to say I hear you on the bonding thing, @South Bank Hank .. I love taking my son now and I’m hoping he treasures the memories. He’s been pretty laid back about this season, results wise. I like the fact he enjoys the whole day and spending time with his old man. Priceless.

Last edited:
It's all my Dad's fault and, indirectly our family doctor. Our family moved down to Essex from Scotland when I was a bairn. I'd been very premature and after a difficult first couple of winters, the GP suggested the family move south to somewhere warmer because he thought I might not make it through another winter.

Essex is where we ended up. My Dad took my older brother to see Arsenal, so my brother imprinted on them. When I got a little older - as my Dad later admitted - his reasoning was something like:

1. It's a bloody nuisance going all the way to Fenchurch Street, then having to get the tube to go and see Arsenal play.
2. The journey to Roots Hall is a lot shorter.
3. And the tickets are a lot cheaper.

Win!

So he took me to Southend games when, to be honest, I was young enough that I can't remember what the first games I saw were.

My fate was sealed. I imprinted on them. My team for as long as they exist.

And, thanks to Dad, the other 2 teams I care about are Falkirk (where I was born) and Scotland.

Football has brought me many emotions over the years...

It's all my Dad's fault and, indirectly our family doctor. Our family moved down to Essex from Scotland when I was a bairn. I'd been very premature and after a difficult first couple of winters, the GP suggested the family move south to somewhere warmer because he thought I might not make it through another winter.

Essex is where we ended up. My Dad took my older brother to see Arsenal, so my brother imprinted on them. When I got a little older - as my Dad later admitted - his reasoning was something like:

1. It's a bloody nuisance going all the way to Fenchurch Street, then having to get the tube to go and see Arsenal play.
2. The journey to Roots Hall is a lot shorter.
3. And the tickets are a lot cheaper.

Win!

So he took me to Southend games when, to be honest, I was young enough that I can't remember what the first games I saw were.

My fate was sealed. I imprinted on them. My team for as long as they exist.

And, thanks to Dad, the other 2 teams I care about are Falkirk (where I was born) and Scotland.

Football has brought me many emotions over the years...

Southend, Falkirk and Scotland......I can see why you have had many 'emotions' over the years.

Listening to @South Bank Hank talk you would think he's been at it for ages.:Winking:

My first dabble with Southend Utd was in 1966 and I went with two school mates, Andy Fitzgerald and Roy Fallis. They been going a bit before I joined up so they were veterans in my eyes (we were 14 by the way). We got a bus from Rayleigh, the old 251, and the old South Bank was our standing point of choice. That first game was against Bristol Rovers and I didn't have a clue what the score was until Iooked it up just now (we won 2-0) but I do remember Alfie Biggs. He was the Rovers centre forward and had ginger hair combed into a quiff ( the sixties were a bit strange) and after he missed an easy chance my mate Andy shouted at him 'Biggs, you're bloody useless'. Alfie turned round to look at us, had a quick glance at the ref and then gave us the V sign. We giggled like the naughty scoolboys we were, and so the love of all things Southend Utd blossomed. Funnily enough Andy moved away after we left senior school and I think he now works at Leeds Utd.

Anyway, from then on the ritual began until I was old enough to play regular men's amateur football on a saturday afternoon and for the first time in my life I had to make big choices. Luckily for me a compromise was found and I played on Saturdays and watch the Blues on Friday nights and sometimes Tuesdays. Oh, the Friday night games under the lights and the Golden Lion, total bliss regardless of the result. A few beers with your mates trot round to the West 10 minutes before ko and then start standing at our normal barrier and then migrate to one end and then another depending which way we were kicking. I've seen some great players at the Hall including Billy Best and Eddie Firmani. I've seen Bill Garner come, grow and then go and loads of others, including Stanley,to numerous to mention. I've watched crap teams, ok teams and great teams and when my playing career was abruptly ended with ankle arthritis then Saturdays became reserved for Roots Hall, and in those days, away games too. You were saying SBH about going with your Dad and the special moments, I took my dad once to see a game but sadly he died early in my life (and he was a Spuds supporter) but my special moment, believe it or not, is when Mrs RHB decided to start going to games. At first it was absolute purgatory trying to expain tactics, players names, offside rules, but now I love her coming with me. She knows most of the players now, she has learnt not to look disapprovingly at some of the Blue voice songs and she has even been known to join in with 'Boys making all the noise, everywhere we go'.

So, in retirement the club is a part of us both, and Alfie Biggs and his V sign is still one of my earliest memories. Hey ho.

1584283463275.jpeg Alfie with his quiff!!✌

As we're going to be in something of a slump due to the lack of games and the discussion that goes around them, I was thinking about how we could turn a negative into a positive, and it occurred to me this place works best when we're acting as a community. So I thought it might be a good time to pull out some of the interesting stories from our Zoners SUFC supporting careers.

Question 1: Who or what is to blame for bringing YOU into this tough but eventful, lower-league club supporting life?

For me, I fell into football through the TV and grew up as a fan of Liverpool in the twilight years of Ian Rush, Peter Beardsley, Jan Molby, Ronnie Whelan, John Barnes, Bruce Grobbelaar, Steve McMahon, Mike Marsh etc not knowing what a thrill it would be later in my supporting career that I'd get to see the two in bold playing for a local club I'm not sure I'd even heard of but which would become part of my life. I never went to games. I never knew the experience of watching a team from the terraces. In fact, like many kids, with my childish naivety, I didn't even have a notion that football even existed as a professional sport outside of the "big club" structure that I was watching on TV. I just knew I loved the drama and competition of football and these guys were my heroes.

It was just before the 1991-1992 season when @overseas shrimper (a committed regularly before he left these shores) introduced me to the pains and delights of Southend United and what it meant to be PART of a real crowd in a stadium. My Dad had taken me to a Hammers game when I was a lot younger but it had really passed me by and I was far from a part of things. I still follow Liverpool which is interesting these days with the yin and yang of following the best and worst teams in world football at the same time! A strange conundrum that after 30 years watching Liverpool fail to land that title, it might still get snatched from them while a potential void season could still yet see my true love avoid the drop! But that’s a different topic entirely.

I was hooked on Southend United from the moment I entered the Roots Hall stadium though, even if I still can't legitimately place the fixture in time. In my head, it was a home pre-season game against Leyton Orient but it was all pretty vague as a memory. I do vaguely remember us going a goal down though and having to tell my Dad (with all of my experience watching live football!!) that you "don't applaud opposition goals". In fairness, he's never done it again since! I suppose that I was really in it for life when I felt the atmosphere of a Friday night game under lights, revelling in the delights of the North Bank as an 18 year old.

Since I was at Uni at the time, I wasn't able to attend many games. But these were heady times for being a Southend United supporter. Our first promotion to the second division and a bloody good team - beating Derby County in our first away match of the campaign to finish the season in mid-table just one spot below Wolves, but ahead of teams like Millwall, Sunderland, Newcastle United and Brighton.

Leaving Uni coincided with the opening of Southend's new two-tier South Stand, and I've been a fervent season ticket holder there ever since. I even published a book on the Blues - “The Southend United Yearbook 1996/1997” and sold about 500 copies!

But mainly, for 26 years I’ve got to spend time and watch the games week on week with my Dad which is a truly precious thing. He comes to my house, we drive up together, park early and have a meal together somewhere - either one of the cafes or the Fish House. I wouldn't swap these moments for anything and in time to come I know I'm going to look back on these moments and treasure them.

Following Southend is a journey with ups and downs. Pretty tough right now. I just hope we can survive this current crisis on and off the pitch, inside and outside of our club, and come back stronger so we can create some more amazing memories. I’m sure there are still some great times ahead!

So over to you. What’s your story? Who or what is to blame for getting YOU onto your Southend United journey?
Cheers for the mention, mate. I feel a mix of delight and a sense that owe you a huge apology. :Smile:

Excellent threat SBH !

Ok, my story (so far)...

I started taking an interest in football at primary school, every break time and lunchtime was spent kicking a tennis ball around the playground with my mates, with the proverbial ‘jumpers for goal posts’ (now and again one young lad would bring a small sized 3 or 4 football in, which was swiftly confiscated by a teacher as it was deemed too big! This being the late 70s I gravitated towards taking an interest in Liverpool, having seen them wiping the floor with most opposition on MoTD, and being crowned European Champions in 77 (they did it again in 78), but then it all changed when I had my first taste of watching real football from the terraces...

My grandad was an avid Southend fan (and shared my love of the game and had done so for many years), my Nan and mum encouraged him to take me to Roots Hall, and IIRC it was a Friday night game in 1977 to see them in what was then Division 4 of the football league (iirc it was against Halifax or Crewe, or someone not very glamorous). My love of ‘real’ football and Southend United had begun!

My footballing heroes Keegan and then Dalglish had been replaced by Colin Morris and Ronnie Pountney!

I travelled to many games with my grandad, we took the 251 bus from Rayleigh to the ground and stood in the West stand terrace, and now and again my (Spurs supporting) Dad would come with us. My dad never really pushed me into becoming a Tottenham fan, to which I am truly thankful!

As I got older and my grandad became ill we went to games less and less, sadly he passed away in the early 80s, but was still able to come with me to the Liverpool game in 79, along with my Dad, which I can still remember as clear as day even now. Also remember crying as they wouldn’t take me to the replay at Anfield, as it was a school night (and they probably couldn’t afford it anyway).

So my fate was sealed, a shrimper for life.

From there, during my senior school days I went with my school friends to games, standing in the East Paddock (they were great times, as it meant being right near the players tunnel and dugout, so managed to get dozens of autographs from both our players and the opponents.

Moved again to the North Bank, during my early pub days, often standing behind the goal, half cut watching the likes of Collymore and Angell, until the Hillsborough tragedy changed everything and the North Bank was firstly caged in and then given to the away fans when the seating came into play. We then sat in the South upper, but late 90s saw us drift away as we started families and time was at a premium.

I missed a lot of the Tilson years, as it coincided with me getting married and starting a family and so I re-emerged about 10 years ago, and since then try to attend as many games as I can. I’m back in the West Stand, having gone full circle and back ‘home’ where it all started with by old Grandad some 40 years ago.

I have some many great memories of the Dave Smith Div 4 championship winning season, getting a draw against the kings of Europe, the Webby years, the first time I ever saw that Collymore fella on his debut, Barry Fry getting us to the top of Championship (then 1st div.), the crazy Whelan times, antics of Otto and the Anglo-Italian cup, away days too many to count,. the First final against Blackpool (at Cardiff), first final at Wembley v Crewe, and then that playoff win against Wycombe.

Oh, and the first (and last time) I took my football hating wife to see them against Orient, and her telling me in the car in the way home, that as long as we are married that I promise not to take her again, apparently Roots Hall was freezing cold, stank of Burgers and the football was rubbish!! What’s not to like I thought!?. (I did however take her to the World Cup Final in Paris !)

There’s loads more than I can remember right now.

UTBs !

Oh, the Friday night games under the lights
My childhood memory of it is all about the evening games. My Dad didn't like driving up to Southend on a Saturday afternoon when it was busy and he was worried about whether or not he'd get a parking space easily. So we went to evening games instead. And still parked miles away from the ground anyway.

I spent a good number of years falling out of love with football until I went to the playoff game against Wycombe on a whim. That reminded me that I might not love football in general, but I do love my Shrimpers.

I've had a season ticket since then. I felt quite emotional at my first game back for more than a decade. But the first time it really hit me was the first evening kickoff. It took me back.

Walking up from the station in the cold, gradually seeing more and more other fans coming together. Everyone's breath making clouds in the air.

The bit that always gets me is the first glimpses of the glow of the floodlights above the rooftops as you walk up the slope. And then at the crossroads, when you can actually see the floodlight for a moment in the gap between the buildings.

It's usually getting crowded by then, and the smell of the chip shop takes me back to when my Dad used to buy us chips on a cold night on the way to the game. Him getting me a hot drink at half time to hold and warm my hands up. And picking me up when I was very small so I could see better.

It's the walk up to the stadium that gets me. It always makes my heart 40 years younger, takes me back to when I was just a little boy hurrying to keep up with Dad. He was an impatient devil when it came to crossing the road...

That walk still gets me every time. Right in the feelings.

If I knew that the next game was going to be the last Southend game I ever saw, I'd want it to be on a chilly winter evening, with a late winner for us.

I grew up in Basildon with Chelsea supporting parents. Never felt any affinity with any particular club, but my Irish grandad loved Man Utd because of George Best, so I chose them as my team. My first visit to Roots Hall was in 1982 when my dad took me to a midweek match against Peterborough. Would love to say I caught the bug that night and became a Shrimper for life... but I didn't, and don't really remember much about that game at all, apart from standing on the North Bank feeling a bit bored. I next went in the mid-nineties; once with a mate who knew Andy Ansah and got a couple of free tickets from him, another time just because I fancied going to a game and it was carnival Saturday and I'd arranged to meet a few friends on the seafront so I thought it'd be something to do before that. And then in 2004 my wife fell pregnant, I suddenly started feeling a huge nostalgia for my childhood, and part of that was going to games with my dad; Chelsea and QPR mostly, West Ham and Spurs once or twice. He did take me to see Man Utd once (the 1983 cup final v Brighton), and not to forget that dull midweek evening at Roots Hall. I decided that I was going to be a football dad, and that I was going to raise a child who supported their local team. By then I'd been living in Southend for 5 years and I'd become a bit of an armchair SUFC fan, so I decided that I was going to become proper fan and I started going regularly during the 2004/5 season to get myself well prepared to take our new little one as soon as he/she was old enough. Although our first child was a a girl with no interest in football, at the second attempt we had a son and I'm proud to say he's a Shrimper through and through who has never wanted to follow a Prem club, and I absolutely love being a football dad.

Last edited:
I grew up in Basildon with Chelsea supporting parents. Never felt any affinity with any particular club, but my Irish grandad loved Man Utd because of George Best, so I chose them as my team. My first visit to Roots Hall was in 1982 when my dad took me to a midweek match against Peterborough. Would love to say I caught the bug that night and became a Shrimper for life... but I didn't, and don't really remember much about that game at all, apart from standing on the North Bank feeling a bit bored. I next went in the mid-nineties; once with a mate who knew Andy Ansah and got a couple of free tickets from him, another time just because I fancied going to a game and it was carnival Saturday and I'd arranged to meet a few friends on the seafront so I thought it'd be something to do before that. And then in 2004 my wife fell pregnant, I suddenly started feeling a huge nostalgia for my childhood, and part of that was going to games with my dad; Chelsea and QPR mostly, West Ham and Spurs once or twice. He did take me too see Man Utd once (the 1983 cup final v Brighton), and not to forget that dull midweek evening at Roots Hall. I decided that I was going to be a football dad, and that I was going to raise a child who supported their local team. By then I'd been living in Southend for 5 years and I'd become a bit of an armchair SUFC fan, so I decided that I was going to become proper fan and I started going regularly during the 2004/5 season to get myself well prepared to take our new little one as soon as he/she was old enough. Although our first child was a a girl with no interest in football, at the second attempt we had a son and I'm proud to say he's a Shrimper through and through who has never wanted to follow a Prem club, and I absolutely love being a football dad.
That’s a great story .. do you know why your Dad took you to a Southend-Peterborough game in ‘82? Were you in Essex by then? Love hearing people’s tales!

My Grandfather & Dad are to blame in my case. Albeit Granddad took me to most of my first 3 seasons games 67-70. Started off in East Stand Red Block, when cushions were 3d, then progressed to to the North Paddock in 69.
Watched all games from there until 70, then the magnetic appeal of the North Bank lured me in.

One thing is for certain in all of this so far, Roots Hall features so much in the fabric of all we hold dear. If/when Fossetts Farm finally becomes reality there will be a little bit of us all that will die inside.
You are so right. There are so many memories tied up with it. Even when results are bad, there is still the fun of bemoaning our fate and commiserating with each other.

Roots Hall may be crumbling but the feelings don't. In my heart, it's a palace.

When the day comes for the last game at Roots Hall - and I do hope the win against Bristol Rovers last week wasn't it - I am going to weep like a baby.

I grew up supporting Spurs due to my uncle going home and away and always talking about them. He brought home programmes of the games but never offered to take me.

When I got to about 16 I started to read the Evening Echo and in particular the Southend game reports. As I lived in Basildon and the fact my parents weren't interested in local football I never got the chance to go and see Southend

Fast forward to 1991 and one week while at my second home of Roller City, I met a girl and started going out. She talked about Southend United and turns out she had been before so we decided to go together. Turns out it was the home game after we beat Bury away.

So we turn up at the ground at about 1.30 and stand by a thin blue door. People start turning up and queueing up behind. Suddenly, at 2pm, the door opens and we go in. I pay the guy a fiver and I push the turnstile and I'm in.

It was like nothing I'd seen before, I know it's a small stadium but to me at that time it was the biggest stadium in the world (obviously the first I had ever seen). We found a spot right behind the goal, right behind a barrier.

The stand soon got busy then players started coming out to warm up. The keeper first, then other players. The first thing the keeper did was throw a ball into the crowd who then began throwing it around. The atmosphere got better and better. The players then went back in and there was a 10 minute wait until they came back out. The stand went mad, so much noise, chanting different things for different players. I loved it, never seen anything like it in my life.

We ended up drawing 0-0 with Cambridge but I was hooked.

It became a regular thing to go to games. I got the home Hi-Tec shirt at the next season, went to every home game, picking the same spot every game, the buzz was amazing. We started to go to away games using Paul Holland's coach travel, good times

My and my girlfriend split up 7 years later but my love affair with Southend has stood the test of time. Now a STH and have been for many years, along with my son who is a STH too. We go to some away games, usually the ones at the other end of the country, using Blues on Tour.

Among the highlights that I have personally attended have been the thumping of Newcastle 4-0 to go top of the division, the day out to Fiorentina, being able to watch Stan the Man weave his magic over and over again, that play off final at Wembley, the win at Sunderland to keep us up last season.

Getting to play for SZFC at the twilight of my football career was a highlight until I broke my leg but what really makes things so good are the people. I have met so many great people over the years. I'll name check McNasty, Cricko, Ricey and SBH but there are so many more, some of whom aren't on SZ.

Hopefully many many more years of memories to come

Long time supporter and season ticket holder thanks to my late father and grandfather.
Dad grew up in Southend and went to school with members of Procol Harum (SHSB).
Took me to my first game in the early 70's (would love to know exactly when).
I actually saw as many games at Brentford as I did at roots hall back then as my Great grandmother lived next door to Griffin Park and Dad and me would get out the house to catch a game(remember Stan Bowles playing for them,Character)
Always fun at the Hall when we played Brentford with family.
So many memories ! 10th of Jan 1979 Wow at 51 still get goosebumps! That november day 2006 when Dad was not so good but Fred done the business.
I have always said I have My family and My Shrimper family and this it what makes this site so great.
When my father past away the first person to speak to Me and offer condolences was Graham(Homer) R.I.P.
Despite everything I can see how it is Southend united,Chairman,players will come and go but you are fantastic:LoyalSupporter:
(I have donated to keep this great site up and running)

My story is a bit unusual seeing as I don't have any real link to Southend at all being born and raised in Australia. Both parents born and raised here to so no family connection at all.

I started following Southend in the early to mid nineties by chance. I had bought a football management game of sorts for my Commodore 64. The default setting of the game used US cities as teams. After a few games I decided to switch to the English version and the team I was managing just happened to switch over to Southend. Not very interesting!

As the internet began to take off I started looking around and found the Shrimpers email group on Yahoo (it is actually still going to this day as I still get the occasional message from it) and managed to get more information about the club and what was going on. They also had a prediction league which I think I won once...somehow.

At this stage all we got in Australia was Premier League (or its previous equivalent) highlights at 11.30pm on a Monday night on the channel devoted to non-English speaking programming and maybe a small summary of results in the newspaper but nothing ever from any of the other divisions.

I then found Shrimperzone and signed up to get more news about Southend. I also had a job that started at 5am so for midweek matches I frequented the chat room when I got to work to see how we were doing.

In 2002 I went on a trip around the UK and Europe and visited Roots Hall. Unfortunately I wasn't there for a game but managed to arrange a tour of Roots Hall thanks to Helen Giles. My wife and I really appreciated it.

Two years later I was back and managed to catch a game. A game at the end of the season when we had nothing to play for and we lost to Yeovil 0-2. Despite the result it was great to watch a game at the Hall and meet a few people who I have spoken to via the old yahoo mailing list.

Now, with the internet the way it is with iFollow and Shrimperzone it is much easier to follow what is going on in Southend, for better or worse. I have never followed a Premier League team or any other team. Purely by chance Southend is my team and always will be.

My family. When RH opened, my Nan and Grandad went along, he lasted one season- the next season she took her eldest son and then 4 years later, my Dad. (Nan went to almost every home game from 1955-2001 when she passed). 23 years later, I started coming and it was a family affair - Ken the commentator for the blind, cleaned my Nan's windows. Frank Gill was a close family friend. Harry Threadgold worked for the family business. The business had an advert hoarding, and sponsored a matchball every season. I was lucky in that I started in 83/4 but got to see the double promotion in the late 80s, and mid2000s before getting married etc.

Some great stories so far.

Would love to hear more from some of our more .... "recognisable" and "vocal" posters! Yeah, you know who you are!

:Winking2:

Back