• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Save our Southend Zoom video with SOS and Stan Collymore

A wonderful watch, and to hear Steve Tilson speak as well with a little bit of inside knowledge was also fantastic. Both Stan and Steve are two men who obviously hold the club in high esteem (Steve because he is a supporter, and Stan because of the 6 happy months he spent here). As the lady said at the end of the call, it was the most positive 90 minutes I've had a Southend Utd supporter for years, and hopefully a turning point.

I would have no problem with Ron and his family achieving their dream and setting themselves up for life, but at the moment they risk jeopardising both that and the future of our club, which is in nobody's interest. Hopefully together we can change that and this can be a new dawn for our great club.

Just watched / listened to the whole video whilst at work (Best bit about being able to work from home during a pandemic!)

A lot of really good discussion and some valid points which hopefully Stan will put to Ron and hopefully some good will come of it. I didn't know just how little a structure we don't have at the club. Knew that we was lacking a CEO, but also no club secretary? People like this need to be in place, and if ex pros like Tilson, can unearth these possible gems in and around Southend we should be encouraging this.

One takeaway I took was what a bargain £550 a week got us back in 1992/1993. @stan collymore, you was worth every penny. Thanks for everything back then and thanks for still thinking of our club almost 30 years later.

I’ve not finished listening yet so sorry if it was brought up.

If I am not mistaken we lived on Sainsbury’s 5 million or so investment for a while. Which enabled us to create good assets to sell on.

I am unsure if it was mentioned but some of these assets were created by our youth system.

Which if we aren’t careful is going to be gone in a few years.

Has there been any talk of Stan being interested in becoming CEO for a fixed term say 12 months?

Could we crowdfund his fee?

@stan collymore any thoughts?

Well done all, watched it last night and agree with all the points.

Got to get to the bottom of the finances at fossetts.

From what i can see we are selling our historic ground with a covenant to move to a 3 sided stadium in the middle of a housing estate with the only income stream being hosting a couple of bat mitzvahs once the main stand is built in 2050.

I fail to see how it is beneficial unless the club can see some continual financial input from the properties built on our beloved hall.

Happy for ron to get his millions if the club has some stability in terms of long term finance.

Edit: also fantastic to see Tilly there.

Last edited:
Thank you Stan, Scott and everyone involved for trying to help our beloved club. Although our imminent relegation is hugely upsetting, the only positive is that it's highlighted the need for some immediate change in the running and ownership of the club. Let's keep working together and finally get some action.

Can't help but think Ron currently has this siege mentality thinking us fans are here to take his nest egg away, but it couldn't be further from the truth.

He can earn all he wants from the property deals. He can shovel pound notes into his fireplace at home to keep him cosy in the cold winter months for all I care. The housing is his business, not for us fans to get involved there.

However, the football side of things we should have a massive say. This is where my frustration comes from and probably where a lot of people's frustrations come from. This is where Stan and any entourage he can assemble should be getting involved, whether by helping or by mounting an aggressive takeover and ultimately that shall depend on Ron's level of cooperation.

Big thanks to @stan collymore @TrueBlue and everyone else involved for holding such a productive conversation. Probably the most important 90 minutes for the direction of the club, more important than any game.

I'm struggling to find the words to explain how good a listen that was, so I'll leave it with this.

Stan, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for taking on this challenge.

Best of luck to Stan today. Let's hope something comes out of it. Well done guys, that was excellent. You were the voice of the fans, and got across very well the problems at the club and the problems with the Chairman. Also our hopes for the future. Scott, you've come a long way from that bare chested blue voice youth, and that weird caravan video. Hats off to you. You are a credit.
Thank you for the kind words. (I try to keep my top on these days ?)
Also can I say to everybody it’s nice to be thanked but this is the hard work from everybody involved at SOS, I just happen to be a loud mouth. The credit goes to everybody who has been working behind the scenes including other groups that have taken part and supported the movement.

A wonderful watch, and to hear Steve Tilson speak as well with a little bit of inside knowledge was also fantastic. Both Stan and Steve are two men who obviously hold the club in high esteem (Steve because he is a supporter, and Stan because of the 6 happy months he spent here). As the lady said at the end of the call, it was the most positive 90 minutes I've had a Southend Utd supporter for years, and hopefully a turning point.

I would have no problem with Ron and his family achieving their dream and setting themselves up for life, but at the moment they risk jeopardising both that and the future of our club, which is in nobody's interest. Hopefully together we can change that and this can be a new dawn for our great club.
That lady is Michelle and she is the landlady of the Blue Boar pub and it’s lovely to see local business getting stuck in and supporting Southend like this

When I saw it was 90 mins long I thought I might need to skip through bits... but I just watched it all. 'Enjoyable' would be the wrong word to use given the situation that brought us here, but thoroughly interesting. A huge well done to all involved and so much respect and gratitude to Stan for putting his name to our cause and forcing at least some dialogue.

Now let's await the next chapter to unfold. Hopefully some feedback today.

I've seen the first half-hour and have been impressed with the practical approach being taken to solve our problems and put the club on a sustainable footing in the medium and long-term future. Working constructively with Ron Martin would appear to offer the best solution but many will be wary of how reliable his promises and guarantees are worth. Hopefully Stan can prove to be the conduit by which clarity and progress can be achieved.

That lady is Michelle and she is the landlady of the Blue Boar pub and it’s lovely to see local business getting stuck in and supporting Southend like this

Apologies, how rude of me! Excellent job Scott, and I completely agree. It has never been more important that we all work together to ensure a positive outcome here as we all want the best for our beloved SUFC.

The segment on the call where people mentioned the fact that we have become a bit of a laughing stock, and as you said Scott, our notoriety for our badly the club is being run, really struck a chord with me too.

Apologies, how rude of me! Excellent job Scott, and I completely agree. It has never been more important that we all work together to ensure a positive outcome here as we all want the best for our beloved SUFC.

The segment on the call where people mentioned the fact that we have become a bit of a laughing stock, and as you said Scott, our notoriety for our badly the club is being run, really struck a chord with me too.
That’s ok you was not to know who she was mate! But my point about the club and it’s reputation was always going to come back and bite us on the arse, as I said to Stan last night players talk to each other there will be players out there saying don’t go to Southend as there has been problems with wages.

Watched it again this morning, it was that good a watch.
I was a tad dubious that it would be a bit of a “free for all” not knowing the collective involved, but I was wrong, the mix of personnel was spot on, and they all spoke factually and with passion.
Well done again, I have hope this morning that I never had a few days ago, hopefully the blinkers that Ron has been wearing for several years can be pulled off by Stan today, and we can all have a club to be proud of again.

I just watched the whole call....absolutely brilliant guys, just brilliant. Well done to everyone involved - spot on contributions.

As for Stanley Collymore what a hero. 27 years after he was carried off the pitch by the fans having saved us from relegation he returns to help us in our darkest hour. It’s the stuff statues are made of.

Back