• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Save our Southend Zoom video with SOS and Stan Collymore

Please you do me disservice! I am nothing in this, it’s about all of us! However this club is my life and gave me the friends in my life who mean everything to me, we can’t stop now and we won’t

Don't underestimate yourself.
Your positive attitude with TBV a few years back was what kept my son coming for a long time as he really enjoyed the atmosphere , so assuming he wasn't the only one who felt engaged and uplifted , you've done your bit to get some of the younger fans on board.
I'm sure people have their own stories , but my boy was going through a tough time at school and having SUFC to look forward to and the atmosphere created in the West and North ( for a while ) really helped him.

That is a very good point and needs to be addressed IMO. What role do they actually fill apart from being names on paper when RM owns most of the shares and takes no notice of anybody.

Re the CEO. I have no idea why SK left to go to Millwall , I presume the job offer and security was better but never heard the actual reason. I know 100% why Tara Brady ( a CEO who mixed with all the fans) left as he could not deal with RM and his ways. I do not think RM liked his way with the fans either. I feel RM does not want a CEO atm as he would be put on the spot with questions that for whatever reason he would not want to answer.

Whilst he controls everything he is answerable to nobody and just does what he likes. That cannot continue any longer if we as a club are to get out of this mess.
Steve Kavanagh was a good bloke, I speak to him now and again and he feel heart broken with what’s happened at SUFC. The same with Tara Brady

Was great to see Steve Tilson there, fantastic player and outstanding manager. I'm amazed he is always so restrained when it comes to discussing Ron. That second relegation in 09/10 was totally down to Ron's financial mismanagement. Tilson's managerial career never recovered from that.

Maybe Tilly didn't like to slag him off too much as he could be attending an interview for the managers job soon.

Maybe Tilly didn't like to slag him off too much as he could be attending an interview for the managers job soon.

I thought Tilly talked a lot of sense. I think everyone had good points but I was particular impressed with Liam, thought he came across excellently and made some brilliant points and his thoughts were exactly the same as mine.

Most players are mercenaries and have very little interest in the club they play for.So itis fantastic that Stan has come forward to assist the club in its downfall.
Cant wait to hear the outcome of his one to one discussion with RM.Its definitely cards on the table time for Ron to open up.Well done to all concerned in keeping all fans in the loop

Thank you so much to Stan and everyone involved in setting this up and sharing the content.

I was impressed with how well restrained everyone kept their thoughts on how we've been run and ended up in this situation, the frustrations were voiced but pitched in the right way I felt. Well done to all involved as I can imagine how much we all want to release those frustrations.

Really pleased that Stan wants to understand those frustrations, but also evidently is keen to draw a line under them and start thinking about the possible solutions and what 'we' want to achieve.

For me, whether we have Ron continue to own the club, a different sole owner, a consortium, a Bayern Munich style structure, it doesn't change the fact I believe we need an agreed shared vision for the football club. Where do we want it to be and what do we want it to achieve? Financial stability, competing (in the football league), a consistent and successful approach to our academy system, clear and open communication with all of it's stakeholders, a civic football club that represents it's community, a football club that has a positive reputation within the game and attracts staff, players and fans to it.

Whoever owns the club, I'd like transparency, a clear and open strategy and roadmap to achieving that vision and a target operating model for the club.

Seriously, is this for real? It's just the reference to HMRC in the bottom right hand corner gives me doubts?
Yes totally all genuine Ron Martin's companies or people, companies, and key players linked to his companies.

HRMC was added as a Linked Key Player to Ron Martin's companies due to all the recent Winding Up Orders listed.

Just watched the full video and just wanted to say some things. I'm very grateful that we have an ex-player like Stan that would go to these lengths for our club. Many times I've recycled the story about how those 6 months at Southend where some of the most, if not the most cherished time in his career. Despite playing in the Premier League, for his boyhood club and for England - it's things like that which can remind you our club is or can be special.

Sustainability is an absolute priority, even above the football. Football is a business and a situation has been created where we no longer operate as a business. It feels like we’re just Ron's personal charity until [if] the gamble pays out.

I found it interesting hearing Tilly’s views on wages and how poorly that kind of money is being utilised. I believe this is where a lot of the disconnection comes from and I’ll use charities as an example. If we see a homeless on the street you’re probably less likely to give them money because you don’t know how they’re going to use it as you are to donate to a charity that sets out to feed the homeless. Besides terrible football, we’ve got to a point where we’re expected to show up and hand over our money without any trust that it’s being used effectively.

The situation where we need to offer such huge sums could be attributed massively to mismanagement in the first place. If wasn't in court at least once a season or in the papers for not paying our staff we might be able to offer players ‘the going rate’ but instead we need to offer more security and this comes in pound notes. According to Ron’s last Zoom meeting we offered Akinde good League One money and he still turned us down.

If Tilly believes there are players locally that can cut the mustard I would love to see him as a scout. This harps back to the person who regarding MM said he needed people around him that knew the club and knew football. This is why someone like Ricky Duncan is so invaluable in his role.

I think managers contracts need reform in general. What’s the point having a 3-year contract if you could be sacked after six games… Pep has the right idea. That’s not the point I want to make I just wanted to throw that in. But one thing I think needs to end is these excessive backroom changes. Whether it was Larsson, or Sol or MM they all created delays which cost us and how much difference did they really make to the success of the manager? Not much in my opinion. Would we have been any worse off if we’d kept [could’ve kept] Lee Harrison over whoever it was MM hired for example?

Anyway that’s my rant over… I had more thoughts but that's probably the longest post I'm ever going to write. Goodnight all.

Last edited:
Thanks to everybody who attended and a huge thanks to Stan himself for attending and speaking so passionately about the club and moving forward

Finally finished watching the whole thing. What a heart warming video. The most articulate piece I’ve seen to do with Southend in a long long time. Particular commendation to Liam and James who I thought both summed up my thoughts and feelings so well.
Great to see Tilly, Chris Phillips and Stan too all wearing their hearts on their sleeves.

I whacked this on the TV last night, everyone put their points over well and the overall atmosphere was better than the frosty RM call.

Nice to hear from Tilly too, albeit a bit muffled.

It did get me thinking, when did this decline really begin? The last 3-4 years have obviously been the drizzling poo-emoji but I could probably go back even further and say 08/09 was when the cash flow issues started to hamstring things, Tilly had to make do with some astute loans, but culminating in the disaster season 09/10 and Sturrock was parachuted in to start with a squad of 7 or whatever it was.

the fact that nobody seems to have picked up on is that Chris Phillips looks like Russell Kane on that chat !

Went away for the weekend, just caught up now. That's a great video that shows the nooks and crannys are far wider than i suspected.
Thankyou to everyone that commented for being so honest in their views, the desperation at the situation is how i feel totally.
How has it all been allowed to fester? Mad ting !
Thanks Scott, Stan, Chris, Tilly, Trust, all of you.
I think it's time for action. The whole situation is certainly "out" there now. I got home tonight and my 16yr old lad wanted to talk about everything he'd read about on twitter and insta and his mates had been talking about SUFC and Stan and Ron with him.

Let's hope to secure league football and a sustainability for our club, for that next generation, our kids, if not just for ourselves.

Back