• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zulu

J

The Chameleon
Not a post about Hamlet court road, but the film is on! Haven't seen it in years..

Sky Movies Classic

"There's thousands of 'em.." and quite a few in the movie as well :guns:

Quality film. Read a book about it a few years back and from what I remember the film is pretty accurate to the actual events.

Not like the current trend in Hollywood for rewriting history to make the Yanks look good :guns: :mad:

Quality film. Read a book about it a few years back and from what I remember the film is pretty accurate to the actual events.

Not like the current trend in Hollywood for rewriting history to make the Yanks look good :guns: :mad:

I visited Rourke's Drift May 2003 when england played South Africa away, Very humbling Place. Would reccomend the 4 hour drive from durban to anyone who goes to S.A.

Not silly at all, it's a bloody good day out... You go through isandlwana (spelling) where Zulu Dawn is about i think, brave British Heroes.

Not quite as successful, unfortunately, in that battle. Was that the night before Rourke's Drift? I'm sure there's a reference in the film.

Yep... interestingly, our guide said there are still VC's buried around the sit of R.D. and people go Hunting every year.

Yep... interestingly, our guide said there are still VC's buried around the sit of R.D. and people go Hunting every year.

Would imagine that's something the tour guide says to make the visit that bit more 'interesting'.

Surely the VC's wouldn't have been awarded at the site, but rather back home in a proper ceremony.

Would imagine that's something the tour guide says to make the visit that bit more 'interesting'.

Surely the VC's wouldn't have been awarded at the site, but rather back home in a proper ceremony.

I wouldn't think so.. I have also read it somewhere! I just cannot remember where!

can't find any refference to it!! Damn it...

I have seen one of the actual VC's awarded at Rourkes Drift. One of My Uncles relatives was awarded it and it is now framed , along with photo's etc on the wall in my Aunts house. (I can't remember his name though)

As the posthumous VC was only started in 1905. Those who fell at RD would have been awarded at least 25 years later. Of the posthumous awards among the first recipients in 1907 were Lts Melvill and Coghill who were killed whilst saving the colours from Isandhlwana on the 22nd. of January.
http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/

Back