• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Enabling development............................whatever that is.

I would imagine that the club will receive a portion of the rent from the retail part of the development, and I would also imagine that a new ground will bring and increase in attendances (initially, as long as the team at the time are doing OK).

The area the size of Southend should easily be able to sustain a top League one or Championship team, and get attendances of over 10k week in week out.

Like the rest of us, though I will only believe it when I see it.

I was thinking of asking this question recently, given this thread has appeared I'll throw this out there.. The 'new stadium' was designed probably 7 years ago now. From what I remember it was well received, but given 7 years have passed, do you still like the design ? Is it still modern?

FFIW, I heard from a couple of people who should know something that there was positive news on the way regarding FF and that March could be interesting. I'm as sceptical as anyone, but maybe this time????

So did I. But I'll still believe it when I see it.

I was thinking of asking this question recently, given this thread has appeared I'll throw this out there.. The 'new stadium' was designed probably 7 years ago now. From what I remember it was well received, but given 7 years have passed, do you still like the design ? Is it still modern?

Not really, but there aren't many new bowl-style stadium designs I do like. A safe standing section would be brilliant, but I think we're dreaming as it is. :sad:

Sorry but...

[video=youtube;s35puUhqQJc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s35puUhqQJc[/video]

At the rate this is progressing, by the time the stadium is built we will need one which floats :(

Not really, but there aren't many new bowl-style stadium designs I do like. A safe standing section would be brilliant, but I think we're dreaming as it is. :sad:

Its still very modern, not a lot has changed in 7 years.

The bowl design is far better than anything else, however what can let them down sometimes is when one whole side is missing. Im just fussy like that.

Roots Hall was sold to one of Ron's companies many years back. We're supposed to pay rent but we can't afford to, so we're building up a big debt that we owe Ron / Ron's companies.

Yes it was sold to one of Ron's companies (Roots Hall Limited IIRC) although we haven't been charged rent for years.

When the whole new ground / new supermarket deal goes through ("the big property deal") Ron will finally have the cash to finally sort out the mess, settle the debts (mostly owed to him) and very probably remove himself from the equation without massive personal financial loss. At that point I'd expect him to do something noble like "pass the club to the fans" etc. Essentially he can walk away with his reputation intact.

I don't know the whole deal with Ron & Sainsburys when it comes to the purchase of the ground and the development of the Fossetts Farm site. I believe he was hoping to gain from the rest of the Fossetts Farm development not just the stadium.

I can't see him passing it onto the fans and I don't think his reputation is anywhere near "intact".

The club will be left with a shiny new stadium, probably still a lot of debt, but without the income to service it, and without uncle Ron around to keep the thing going. It's simple economics - what will we do at that point? My concern is that we'll do a Darlington. There's a huge amount of positive publicity about a new stadium, but will we get to the end of this season being able to pay our players and HMRC? - we haven't managed it for the last 3 years, and why will that magically change when we have a new stadium?

If Ron will settle the debts, how will we still have a lot of debt? Income will be the ticket sales and if, like you said, Ron will pass the development onto the fans then.

Darlington is completely different and has been discussed before. They built a stadium that was way too big for them and got relegated into the conference and stayed there. When the stadium is hopefully built, we will be in League 1 at least and the crowd will hopefully have grown.

We have been awful with finances over the last several years and we have slowly been changing that. The point of the new stadium was to add the extra income from the commercial side on the main stand, such as the hotel and conference rooms.

The facts are that we don't know what will happen when the stadium is built and how long we will be waiting for the main stand to be built. While we want answers to that, it is impossible to say what will happen in the next 1-2 years. We could get 2 promotions in a row with 2 away games in the cup against Arsenal and Man City. Like wise we could still be in League 2.

As I understand it (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), Roots Hall was sold to one of Ron's companies many years back. We're supposed to pay rent but we can't afford to, so we're building up a big debt that we owe Ron / Ron's companies.

When the whole new ground / new supermarket deal goes through ("the big property deal") Ron will finally have the cash to finally sort out the mess, settle the debts (mostly owed to him) and very probably remove himself from the equation without massive personal financial loss. At that point I'd expect him to do something noble like "pass the club to the fans" etc. Essentially he can walk away with his reputation intact.

The club will be left with a shiny new stadium, probably still a lot of debt, but without the income to service it, and without uncle Ron around to keep the thing going. It's simple economics - what will we do at that point? My concern is that we'll do a Darlington. There's a huge amount of positive publicity about a new stadium, but will we get to the end of this season being able to pay our players and HMRC? - we haven't managed it for the last 3 years, and why will that magically change when we have a new stadium?

Will someone please tell me how having a new stadium will make us any less of a financial disaster than we are now?

No way on earth will he just give a stadium away.

As for how we will be better off, that remains to be seen.

The rental from the hotel and retail units was always the thing that was going to provide extra income but Ron has rather cleverly never bothered to elaborate how.

With only 3 sides I cant see any benefit, and nor any reason for Ron to bother to even hang around to finish it let alone gift it to the club.

Actually, and I know this will be irksome to some on here, but Ron should have a statue erected to him. Fans should learn to appreciate him and applaud his endeavours. he has persevered and yet again we have a team to be proud off, some prospect and I fully believe in time we will have a shiny new stadium.

We are a basement club with a tired old lady for a stadium and more fair-weather, fickle fans than we have hard core supporters. There are no rich Sheiks or Russian oligarchs queuing up to take this club on and no genuine consortium that would publicly put its head over the parapet to 'save the day'.

RM may have had to ruffle feathers and juggle more than coco the clown but he has never veered from course and all his aspirations will come to roost and the fans will be delighted.

You are on drugs!

If in Spring, it's in mid Feb and March, I won't believe it until I see the ground at Fossett Park is cleared up and boarded up too.

You are on drugs!

Didn't take much Ron praise to get you to come back from lurking and post again.

Pre-Ron, being a Southend fan wasn't much fun either. He might be completely skint, and too stubborn to pass things on, but he's also got us closer to the new ground we need than anyone else, and he's financed the club to allow us numerous successes in the past 15 years.

Lots of good news coming out of the club at the moment and I would love this to be true but it's still difficult to get excited about stadium news. I'll believe it when I see a shovel in Ron's hand and a picture on the Official Site.

Didn't take much Ron praise to get you to come back from lurking and post again.

Pre-Ron, being a Southend fan wasn't much fun either. He might be completely skint, and too stubborn to pass things on, but he's also got us closer to the new ground we need than anyone else, and he's financed the club to allow us numerous successes in the past 15 years.

He has done so by borrowing dont forget.

We are 10million + in debt.

If he gets a 4 sided stadium built without leaving us in crippling debt Ill be impressed but reserving judgement for now...

Enabling development............................whatever that is.

I would imagine that the club will receive a portion of the rent from the retail part of the development, and I would also imagine that a new ground will bring and increase in attendances (initially, as long as the team at the time are doing OK).

The area the size of Southend should easily be able to sustain a top League one or Championship team, and get attendances of over 10k week in week out.

Like the rest of us, though I will only believe it when I see it.

The bit I don't understand is why people think southend will get any portion of the non football related revenue. Has this been promised at any time? The new stadium will be owned by one of Ron's companies so southend will just be tenants won't they?

Has he. I think we are just as far away as anybody else managed to get us in that we are still st roots hall and no work has started.

The bit I don't understand is why people think southend will get any portion of the non football related revenue. Has this been promised at any time? The new stadium will be owned by one of Ron's companies so southend will just be tenants won't they?

The reason they think it is because thats what Ron has said will happen.

However what he has never said is how. So at the moment I would expect that if the parent company are making lots of money from the retail park and hotel they will have more money to invest in the football team. The fact is everything has changed so it looks unlikely we will have a hotel or that the parent company are going to be in any position to invest anything anytime soon.

The fear is now that even if work starts how will he ever be able to finance the 4th stand, let alone make profit going forward.

Back