• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The first and most important outcome a second straight win.
I note the first thing routinely said often the moment we win is that the other side were poor/ very poor/ poor on a biblical scale/ weren't actually there at all..
Sometimes the opposition play as well as you let them and making the other side look poor is an achievement in itself... apologies for positive comment (must be the wine).

Bentley 7 As we would expect- couple of good saves but now just routine and barely raises anyone from their torpor
Thompson 6 Defensively fine- going forward non-existent but to expect much else would be unfair. Stood in very well.
White 7 Played on the left pretty much as he would on the right- should be no surprise- he spent some time at Col playing left back and first time around actually came to us on loan as a left back for those that can recall- he is actually a pro who can use both feet (something others on 50-200k a week it seems can't be bothered to learn to do).
Bolger 6 Absolutely fine and just what he need- a nice solid game and no cards.
Prosser 7 Bit like Bentley- what he does he now does with relentless consistency.
Hurst 7 Need to stick with him- we are not blessed with creators but he is one of them (better on left so Worrall can stay on right).
Leonard 7 Still not at 100% but getting there- needs regular games.
Timlin 7 Solid performance and provides balance in midfield being left footed.
Worrall 8 A very good player- better than L2. He will score goals at this level (need to stick with him & Hurst on the flanks)
Payne 6 OK- didn't do a lot wrong and some nice touches. The worry I have is that I don't see him quite yet of one of a central midfield 2. So we either have to play 1 up front with him in the hole, or play him up front. It will come but not sure he's ready to be in the starting line up all the time.
Corr 6 Put himself about and put a shift in. A bit isolated at time but that the formation that requires Payne or others to get up in support. TBH we must think about bringing Barney back from loan either to play alongside or instead of as and when required. Reality is Barney is as good as you (or we) are likely to get at this level- and I would rather him than some of the kids available on loan. His hold up play is actually good- and on his own up front he has the fitness and enough pace to make a nuisance of himself. At least if Hurst and Worrall are on song the quality of service is likely to increase..

Subs absolutely immaculate. Not one of them put a foot wrong.
I would have probably brought Layne on foot Payne for the last 10-15 (his pace as the gaps opened at the back would have kept us on the offensive- although to be fair for once we did not really sit back and coped pretty comfortably.

I must say, I thought TBV were really good today. It was a must win game and must have been nervy for the players, but the chanting was positive throughout and the players benefited from the lift. Good work all

As I have been very critical of Brown in recent weeks I will come out and say today (as I did before the game) that this set up looked up right from the start. We didnt see that much of him today keeping a lowish profile with that bad uncle hat. I wouldnt have made a single substitute today (other than maybe protecting Timlin after an early yellow) and nor did he so no complaints from me. He cleverly put the responsibility on the players and they did well. It was never going to be a rout today and so we dug in, kept passing, looking for the openings and kept our patience. Yet another game of terrible finishing and it took another moment of pace and magic from Worrall to bring us home the points and keep us in the hunt.

Bentley - 8 - Called in to action at crucial times and made two top draw saves. Clean sheet
Thompson - 6 - Sorry don't agree with those that said Thompson was strong today. His positioning in the first half was as bad as usual and he kept getting skinned by either Franks or Featherstone. To be fair both had a good first half but Thompson didnt look good in that position - he was better second half but I think we tightened up in front of him
Bolger - 8 - Best I have seen him play. Still looks a little clumsy but dominated from the back today and won loads in the air, and even brought ball forward out with a bit of confidence
Prosser - 8 - Again, assured at the back and the only real danger came from Hartlepool on the flanks and nothing down the middle
White - 7 - Steady performance but clearly not his right side as we missed natural leftedness
Hurst - 8 - Started slowly but grew into the game and despite the final quality on a few occasions letting him down I thought he really was involved all second half and went for them. Done enough to keep Weston out reckon
Timlin - 7 - Early booking may have affected him as quieter in the second half
Leonard - 8 - Another driving performance and looking back to his best which can only be good news. Love the way he buys us freekicks. Wish the others could learn from him
Worrall - 9 - Looks a league one player and showed Brown exactly why we all booed so much when we was subbed early against Chester. Constant threat on the right and a brilliant goal. Will be key to us getting up this season
Payne - 7 - Played the whole game and whilst not as pivotal as he can be there were moments where he broke play up and played in some great passes on edge of box. Must keep his place
Corr - 6 - Frustrating for large sections of the game. Worked tirelessly and won some key headers but let the ball break down too often and just doesnt seem to offer much of a threat even with two wingers banging crosses in

Ref - 7 - Better than the linesman and a bit fussy at the start but didnt do too much wrong in the end

Brown now needs to stick to this set up (may want to bring back Sokolik and BW of course) and persevere. If Weston walks straight back in then my grumpiness will be for all to hear next time up.

Even before this game, i couldn't really understand the importance being placed on it. Yes, we got beat in the FA Cup, but we won our last league game, so we were hardly going in to this one completely devoid of confidence!

Summarising Hartlepool first - I am finding it hard to remember us playing a poorer side than them over recent seasons, they really were very, very weak - They have a long season ahead of them if they continue to play like that!

As for us, aside from the usual gripe about not taking our chances, i don't think there were any negatives from that performance. In terms of our overall play, we dominated possession, territory and chances, and you cannot ask for more than that. It was, arguably, the same as almost every game we've played this season - we've been superior to most opposition up until it comes to being clinical in front of goal.

What I do like about the side is that Brown is able to, and often does, pick 3 from perhaps 5, 6 or 7 for that midfield role and whoever plays in there just slots in - It is almost seamless and to have that strength in that area is going to be vital for the remainder of the season.

Defensively, it's really hard to judge as they were put under minimal pressure. Really pleased to see Bolger back in the starting line up and I really hope he starts to become a regular fixture in that back line - I think he is a player who is going to get better, and better over time, and I believe he will be worth our investment. The only possible weakness in that area today would be Thompson - Doesn't convince me at centre half, and even less so at right back.

Attaching wise, thought Worrall outshone the rest, as he has done in most games since getting in to the team. Really like him, think he can be direct, has the ability to turn the full back inside-out and is contributing with goals. He is essentially making sure we're not missing the woefully out of form Hurst at the moment.

As for Corr, standard from him today - Plenty of effort, involved in the goal, and his physical presence was, at times effective. For me, however, the two centre halves were probably over the moon to face a striker like him as they were physical and not very mobile - I think if they had of been up against Shaq or Weston, they may have been in all sorts of trouble!

Not a rose tinted perspective by any means - I've never thought we were anywhere near as poor as some are making out, and it's not a case of papering over any cracks - we all know we need to score more foals, but we're only a striker away from doing that - the rest of the team and the performances are more than good enough to get us out of this league this season, I am convinced of that.

If Marlon Harewood cannot get in that starting line up then surely time for him to retire. Not a great game but a workmanlike win and that will do for me.

If Marlon Harewood cannot get in that starting line up then surely time for him to retire. Not a great game but a workmanlike win and that will do for me.

On Harewood, I've got to give him credit for stepping in that incident involving Prosser towards the end. The red mist had descended and Prosser would have got himself sent off had it not been for Harewood. The ref should have sent the Hartlepool player and not just given him a yellow as well.

What is annoying me is that individually everyone played well and we only just won against the worst team I've seen for ages! I'm no Brown fan and he's done nothing to convince me otherwise today!

Bentley - 7 not a lot to do, kicking was consistently good and made a sharp save from their one good shot.
Thompson - 5 looked shaky, especially in the first half, got done for pace a couple of times.
Bolger - 6 I felt his body language showed a lack of confidence but he did ok and was dominant in the air, hopefully this is the start of an improvement in form.
Prosser - 7 Led the line well and gave 100% as always.
White - 6 Defended well.
Worrall - 8 Continues to impress, a well taken goal and always looking to attack.
Timlin - 7 got stuck in and always looked for a forward pass.
Leonard - 6 decent passing, and a couple of good surging runs, maybe I'm being a bit harsh but feel he's still not up to the standard he set last season.
Hurst - 6 Much better, the work rates back and he put in a couple of great crosses.
Payne - 6 Always positive and trying to make things happen. Gave the ball away a couple of times in bad areas though, sometimes needs to play the simple pass.
Corr - 6 Improved as the game went on, but needs a strike partner for me.

As I said what worries me is that individually everyone played well but we could easily have come away with a draw against the worst team we're likely to face this season. We must play 4-4-2 at home, whether that's by pushing Payne forward as a proper striker, giving Coulthirst another chance or getting someone else in on loan. Barnards scoring run for a mediocre Stevenage team shows us up for what we are, too defensive.

On a side note, I hope we stick with Hurst out wide and don't bring Weston straight back in. Getting Hurst back in form could be vital to our season, Weston has shown nothing other than flattering to deceive.

What is annoying me is that individually everyone played well and we only just won against the worst team I've seen for ages! I'm no Brown fan and he's done nothing to convince me otherwise today!

Bentley - 7 not a lot to do, kicking was consistently good and made a sharp save from their one good shot.
Thompson - 5 looked shaky, especially in the first half, got done for pace a couple of times.
Bolger - 6 I felt his body language showed a lack of confidence but he did ok and was dominant in the air, hopefully this is the start of an improvement in form.
Prosser - 7 Led the line well and gave 100% as always.
White - 6 Defended well.
Worrall - 8 Continues to impress, a well taken goal and always looking to attack.
Timlin - 7 got stuck in and always looked for a forward pass.
Leonard - 6 decent passing, and a couple of good surging runs, maybe I'm being a bit harsh but feel he's still not up to the standard he set last season.
Hurst - 6 Much better, the work rates back and he put in a couple of great crosses.
Payne - 6 Always positive and trice to make things happen. Gave the ball away a couple of times in bad areas though, sometimes needs to play the simple pass.
Corr - 6 Improved as the game went on, but needs a strike partner for me.

As I said what worries me is that individually everyone played well but we could easily have come away with a draw against the worst team we're likely to face this season. We must play 4-4-2 at home, whether that's by pushing Payne forward as a proper striker, giving Coulthirst another chance or getting someone else in on loan. Barnards scoring run for a mediocre Stevenage team shows us up for what we are, too defensive.

On a side note, I hope we stick with Hurst out wide and don't bring Weston straight back in. Getting Hurst back in form could be vital to our season, Weston has shown nothing other than flattering to deceive.

Totally agree with this. Hurst has been well off form but sticking him and Worrall on the wings in a 4-4-2 formation could pay dividends

Do you not think that Harewood held Prosser to make the impression he was the aggressor rather than the Pools player?

Do you not think that Harewood held Prosser to make the impression he was the aggressor rather than the Pools player?

I kind of thought that too. I thought Prosser was in control of himself even after the Pools player had shoved him and the ref was over pretty soon after. The Pools player should have been sent off, he laid hands on Prosser and pushed him

Thought it was an ok performance of sorts. Great to see Leonard back to something like his bestbut there didn't seem to be a lot of support for the player on the ball in a forward position, particularly when the ball went wide.
Consequently, the player in wide position had no options other than to launch a cross regardless of who might or might not be in the box. This has been a problem for some weeks not just today.
However a win is a win and perhaps the start of another good run who knows. I do feel that we need to find another forward before the loan window closes. Preferably as cover for Corr who I am sure is nowhere near 100% fit.

On Harewood, I've got to give him credit for stepping in that incident involving Prosser towards the end. The red mist had descended and Prosser would have got himself sent off had it not been for Harewood. The ref should have sent the Hartlepool player and not just given him a yellow as well.

This incident was in front of us, and Prosser looked in control, their player did the usual and stood up into Prosser, knocking him, then proceeded to push him. Prosser looked to do no more than stand his ground, then Harewood (very cleverly), dashed over to hold Prosser just in time for the Ref to arrive, making it look as though Prosser was the one having to be restrained. Prosser has been guilty of needless yellows in the past, but IMHO more or less blameless on this occasion.

Chester and Hartlepool collectively have conceded nearly 60 league goals yet we managed only 1 goal from open play!Simply not good enough .

If Barney returns he still won't score with Brown in charge .

Brown IMO is a desperate manager and his reign here must be coming to an end.

Chester and Hartlepool collectively have conceded nearly 60 league goals yet we managed only 1 goal from open play!Simply not good enough .

If Barney returns he still won't score with Brown in charge .

Brown IMO is a desperate manager and his reign here must be coming to an end.

100% agree with this! he got lucky yesterday! one great bit of skill by Worrell saved face again yesterday. Despite our dominance second half we were still thankful to Bentley for making a first class save to keep it at 1-0. The win is important however, and the team battled hard that can't be denied, but once again our lack of goals remains a worry. Hoping that the win will bread confidence you could see the relief at the end of the game. Tranmere next week is a very winnable game and hopefully away from home will work in our favour again.

Back