• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something which hasn't been mentioned but is key to this whole deal is the situation with the London Road store. I am reliably informed that it is a lease-hold site, that the lease is due up in two years, and that the Landlords are keen to redevelop the site for other more profitable uses - if that store closes and there is no new store on the Roots Hall site, then Sainsburies will have no significant stores within Southend - however much they are keen to downsize and rethink their new store policy, surely that would be something they wouldn't want.

Will we hear from Ron about Sainsburys pulling out or will it be the same BS that work on the new stadium will start in the spring.

That is a brilliant post.
At least our current council wants to help and is talking with the club and parties involved. They wouldn't even talk to Vic Jobson. But yes, when you put it like that with your five points mentioned, it does make sense that they help. Shame they can't give financial help like the Swansea council.

Southend Council are a unitary authority so can spend their budget as they wish. I have had it on good authority before now from someone who said that they (the council) are not supportive Southend United!

Time to get the disaster plan off the shelf methinks. Is it really 7 years since I sat in the Council Chambers at Rayleigh as the final piece of the planning consent was passed, crickey where's that gone.

Time to get the disaster plan off the shelf methinks. Is it really 7 years since I sat in the Council Chambers at Rayleigh as the final piece of the planning consent was passed, crickey where's that gone.

Yep. The lot of us have been taken for fools. Myself included. Enough is enough. Build it or **** off Ron.

Unfortunately Ron is treating the lifeblood and heart of any club ...US THE SUPPORTERS....with total contempt by not even making an up to date statement. Think your words sum up my feelings..Smiffy.....
Yep. The lot of us have been taken for fools. Myself included. Enough is enough. Build it or **** off Ron.

Unfortunately Ron is treating the lifeblood and heart of any club ...US THE SUPPORTERS....with total contempt by not even making an up to date statement. Think your words sum up my feelings..Smiffy.....

Lets face simple facts. We are in Sainsburys hands as matters stand. If they or Ron goes who comes in? Is there any tangible evidence to suggest that there is someone out there?

Southend Council are a unitary authority so can spend their budget as they wish. I have had it on good authority before now from someone who said that they (the council) are not supportive Southend United!

I would question whether the council are not supportive of Southend United, or whether they are not supportive of Southend United's owner...?? We have a history of chairmen of questionable morality, which would make any publicly funded organisation be wary of the current owner, and Ron, unfortunately, has not always displayed attributes that would do anything to dispel that wariness. If the council were to divert public funds to help the club, which would benefit the town as a whole, they would need assurances that are highly unlikely to happen. Hence the lack of support!

whatever happens i think both the council and/or sainsburys would rather deal with an independent well formed supporters trust ....

this would rather outflank ron

I would question whether the council are not supportive of Southend United, or whether they are not supportive of Southend United's owner...?? We have a history of chairmen of questionable morality, which would make any publicly funded organisation be wary of the current owner, and Ron, unfortunately, has not always displayed attributes that would do anything to dispel that wariness. If the council were to divert public funds to help the club, which would benefit the town as a whole, they would need assurances that are highly unlikely to happen. Hence the lack of support!

Pretty much the way I see it.

The seedy world surrounding the club is tiresome and has the council running scared IMO.

We have been told the club loses millions yet refused this seasons sponsorship for MD sponsorship which is laughable and not forgetting the sudden discovery of 25k transfer fee.

The club stinks.

Pretty much the way I see it.

The seedy world surrounding the club is tiresome and has the council running scared IMO.

We have been told the club loses millions yet refused this seasons sponsorship for MD sponsorship which is laughable and not forgetting the sudden discovery of 25k transfer fee.

The club stinks.

Have you really not understood what that was all about?

It's quite simple.

Every year Ron has to pay x amount of money to keep the club afloat. Let's say, 200K for the sake of argument.

If we had an external sponsor that paid £50k, then Ron would have to find £150k to balance the books.

What the MD deal means is that Ron will have to find £200K... but MD will get the exposure.

It makes no difference to the day to day running of the finances.

Have you really not understood what that was all about?

It's quite simple.

Every year Ron has to pay x amount of money to keep the club afloat. Let's say, 200K for the sake of argument.

If we had an external sponsor that paid £50k, then Ron would have to find £150k to balance the books.

What the MD deal means is that Ron will have to find £200K... but MD will get the exposure.

It makes no difference to the day to day running of the finances.

Hmmm

I think it's company A loses money to company B who then owes company C who then pays company D and so on leaving company X with a tiny tax bill.

I bet Ron doesn't put in a penny to keep anything afloat.

Hmmm

I think it's company A loses money to company B who then owes company C who then pays company D and so on leaving company X with a tiny tax bill.

Understanding Balance sheets and making them read what you want was a part of my life for years.
However I think your explanation sounds more believable than the endless courses and seminars I attended

The MD sponsorship was to inflate our income to raise our wages cap. If we accepted a low level offer we would have had to cut wages earlier. If MD is the sponsor we can inflate that number (given its pocket swapping given Ron has to find the money one way or the other) and hence the wage cap. I believe this was subsequently confirmed at the club Q & A by the CEO.

There are a great deal of businesses that have done 'dodgy' business or played the avoidance card with taxes and indeed some major supermarkets are the biggest culprits. If every business deal had to be morally correct, then very few would get done. There is nearly always someone that suffers at the hand of the corporate machine.

If our council were to deal only with the 'whitest of white' then the list they could work with would be small. Even religious groups, major churches and charities have been known to have investments in unethical concerns. Unfortunately it is often more about the returns available than the source.

What would be good to know is the powers or pennies our council could produce if needed and whether they could do more with the incumbent regime than they are. Further to that it would be handy to have an idea of what the council may choose to do should the worst scenario occur.

We have to remember there are a plethora of regulations involved with public money. Indeed there is only a certain amount that public money can be invested in private enterprise. Swansea council are currently under investigation, by a European Commission, over the 27 million they stumped up for The Liberty stadium and if found in breach then Swansea City FC and The Ospreys may have a very hefty bill to pay and who knows how much damage that may do to them?

Short term fixes can cause long term problems.

Hmmm

I bet Ron doesn't put in a penny to keep anything afloat.

To pay a tax bill you have to make a profit.

No chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back