• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It's the opposite. Signing an ageing centre-back who was never the quickest means we'll need more cover from midfield andto play deeper.

What it would allow us to do is build from the back which is Brown's preferred method. Barrett is a hell of a lot more comfortable on the ball than Prosser and Bolger.

The question for me is: is Barrett permanent or temporary?

The kid from Wolves makes no sense if it's not with a view to a permanent move UNLESS Ron simply doesn't trust PB's transfer dealings - and coming the week where Brown has had to dump a load more of deadwood he signed this has to be increasingly likely. Barrett would be a popular choice as manager and we all know Ron loves a publicity stunt - like re-signing Eastwood, Barnard and, er, Barrett.
Rubbish, our midfield currently sit far too deep and the ball just gets lumped up to Corr. As for AB being an ageing defender he didn't do too bad against a young Liverpool side did he.

I dont think Jakes stats are all that bad. 70 appearances since 2012 and 20 goals, I will take that ratio anytime ! He has had good experiences at league 1 level and looks fit, and strong. From the vids can clearly score from distance, in the box or with his head. At 6.2" not exactly small for crosses, set pieces and corners. Looking forward to him and Barratt causing havoc in this regard, but may have to bed in a bit? I also see Pross saying today the whole side have been working all week on getting into the box and particularly defenders scoring from set piece play! Yippee !!

I'm bored of it now though. Brown's done it from the day he walked in. No ones knows where they stand.

Maybe it's the fans who have no idea where they stand, I'm sure the players know exactly where they stand. I doubt PB is telling people lies at the club.

Got that one right :winking:

5w3dSPE.png

Great signing in Cassidy. Did well in his first stint at Tranmere, not so well after . From what ive seen of him though, he wont suit our current system, so more than likely we will have to change it to accomodate him. As for Barrett, when everyone is fit, I can only see him as being a squad player. As he is one of our own, and because of his goalscoring exploits, especially in his first season, he is remembered with fondness from almost everybody, including myself. He is a bit more comfortable on the ball than all of our current crop of defenders, but what worries me is his all round defensive capabilities. At the moment, with the system we play, it almost doesnt matter who we play as the two central defenders, as proven by the Plymouth game with Binnon-Williams and Thompson. With Cassidy signing, surely this will change though, which will mean more exposure for the defence. Barrett was helped when he first arrived with experienced partners in Prior and Edwards, and later Sodje. When we signed Clarke though, this is when Barretts weaknesses were exposed, and we conceeded goals by the barrellful. I know this was at a higher level, but he is now 8 or 9 years older, and personally I dont think he is better than anyone else we have. Probably an unpopular view, and I hope I am proved wrong, but I think we will get our wish for goals, but sadly at the other end.

Looks as though I'm in the minority her. I really DO hope that Adam can break the recent hoodoo of returning players. No worries about his love of the Blues and the fact that he will give 100% every game. What I am concerned about is his ability to deal with speedy attackers. I hope he won't continue with his habit of wrapping arms around strikers who outdo him for pace, otherwise one goal a game may not be enough to ensure us three points.
Sadly I agree with this 100%, gambling big time

Great signing in Cassidy. Did well in his first stint at Tranmere, not so well after . From what ive seen of him though, he wont suit our current system, so more than likely we will have to change it to accomodate him. As for Barrett, when everyone is fit, I can only see him as being a squad player. As he is one of our own, and because of his goalscoring exploits, especially in his first season, he is remembered with fondness from almost everybody, including myself. He is a bit more comfortable on the ball than all of our current crop of defenders, but what worries me is his all round defensive capabilities. At the moment, with the system we play, it almost doesnt matter who we play as the two central defenders, as proven by the Plymouth game with Binnon-Williams and Thompson. With Cassidy signing, surely this will change though, which will mean more exposure for the defence. Barrett was helped when he first arrived with experienced partners in Prior and Edwards, and later Sodje. When we signed Clarke though, this is when Barretts weaknesses were exposed, and we conceeded goals by the barrellful. I know this was at a higher level, but he is now 8 or 9 years older, and personally I dont think he is better than anyone else we have. Probably an unpopular view, and I hope I am proved wrong, but I think we will get our wish for goals, but sadly at the other end.

Lol. Have you seen Prosser and Bolger play? My deceased nan would be less prone to calamitous mistakes and hospital passes than those two.

Lol. Have you seen Prosser and Bolger play? My deceased nan would be less prone to calamitous mistakes and hospital passes than those two.

Whilst I never met your Nan, I can somehow see where you're coming from. Prosser, Bolger and Thompson all make mistakes and aren't exactly exceptional with the ball at feet, neither are they gifted with super pace.

AB is an upgrade and will certainly bring a leadership quality to the defence that is superior to what we currently have. We are fortunate to play in a division this year where the standard of attacking play has been generally below the level of previous seasons which in turn has benefited our error prone defence.

Whilst I never met your Nan, I can somehow see where you're coming from. Prosser, Bolger and Thompson all make mistakes and aren't exactly exceptional with the ball at feet, neither are they gifted with super pace.

AB is an upgrade and will certainly bring a leadership quality to the defence that is superior to what we currently have. We are fortunate to play in a division this year where the standard of attacking play has been generally below the level of previous seasons which in turn has benefited our error prone defence.

He is definitely an upgrade, even at 35. I can't see how people dont see this. He is still a good player for this level and his few weaknesses won't bemso exposed down here.

I've seen a lot of hype about our new signings and hope it develops on the pitch. History tells me that this hype will fall like a lead balloon come Saturday. Shaq was supposed to set the league alight, all I've seen is a lot of running, Leonard was supposed to boss the midfield this season, he has been disappointing imo. I've seen commens saying we now have a leader now barrett is back, can I remind you White our RB is our captain.

I've seen a lot of hype about our new signings and hope it develops on the pitch. History tells me that this hype will fall like a lead balloon come Saturday. Shaq was supposed to set the league alight, all I've seen is a lot of running, Leonard was supposed to boss the midfield this season, he has been disappointing imo. I've seen commens saying we now have a leader now barrett is back, can I remind you White our RB is our captain.

Omg - bore off

Best do remind people because as much as I like White as a player, he is no leader.

But do we need a 1 man leader at the back the back 5 at the moment seem to be doing just fine sharing the responsibility of leadership at the back

But do we need a 1 man leader at the back the back 5 at the moment seem to be doing just fine sharing the responsibility of leadership at the back

well seeing as how most people with a view on this believe we are lacking leadership on the pitch then I would say 100% yes. Prosser is the only one at the back with a voice, and I dont see any of them leading by example . I don't see any leadership from any of the other defenders. Bentley is many things , but I have never heard anyone say 'leader', and frankly if you are relying on leadership from your keeper then that would be very worrying IMO

Back