• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If Alloa is part timer, how they can afford to house Layne & to help him to find a part time job to go with his football career?

If Alloa is part timer, how they can afford to house Layne & to help him to find a part time job to go with his football career?

With a ticket income of about £3,000 a week, one wonders! I can't imagine there would be a fabulous amount of sponsorship.

He was part time with Billericay, maybe he had a decent job and has found one doing the same up in Scotland?

600 watching from a town that has a population of around 27,000 is not bad at all

Southend 180,000+ and those who travel from outside of the town and we are lucky to get 5300........
at the risk of soundind pedantic 600 is 2.22% of the population
5300 is 2.94% of ours , marginally better
that said its a lot closer to big other clubs than we are about 30 miles from Glasgow and Edinburgh with several other league clubs a lot closer

at the risk of soundind pedantic 600 is 2.22% of the population
5300 is 2.94% of ours , marginally better
that said its a lot closer to big other clubs than we are about 30 miles from Glasgow and Edinburgh with several other league clubs a lot closer

As I said you have to take into account the population of Southend and the large towns around our home gates are pretty **** poor, then again how much do we promote our side in the local area, can't ever remember hearing Essex Radio promoting any of our home league games with adverts, yet West Ham are always being mentioned on there

Last edited by a moderator:
Alloa said he needed international clearance? Is that needed if you go from England to Scotland?

As I said you have to take into account the population of Southend and the large towns around our home gates are pretty **** poor, then again how much do we promote our side in the local area, can't ever remember hearing Essex Radio promoting any of our home league games with adverts, yet West Ham are always being mentioned on there

That's because Essex radio are a commercial business. Their income is from paid adverts.
That lot in the east end pay to advertise on the radio. We don't. Simples.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody I knew who played with him really fancied his chances of making it here so it doesn't surprise me, supposed to be a good lad so good luck to him. I was talking to a few of the witham town boys regarding the loanees we had there as they are all available on frees now. It was unanimous that they all were a bit too small and not ready for men's football, Kane was the best of the bunch as he was very tidy and his lack of physicality didn't matter too much at left back. Ellis is the one they are surprised we let go as his pace is so frightening that if we developed his game a bit and bulked him up he'd have a good chance

Layne was an unused sub in Alloa's 0-0 draw with Raith.

He will get games for Alloa (sound like Allah!) and if he start scoring goals, it's would put him into a shop window for Scottish PL or League 1/2.

He will get games for Alloa (sound like Allah!) and if he start scoring goals, it's would put him into a shop window for Scottish PL or League 1/2.

Can't see him being up to Scottish PL. As for Div 1/2, I assume you mean English league?

Its a part time club, but you can afford to live on what they earn, its like the conference south there part time players but a lot of players that play in that league don't actually have to work. Look at Ebbsfleet their wage bill is higher than 11 league 2 clubs...there part time but paying high wages. like 18 of the 24 conference premier clubs are full time now, non league is growing massively

Alloa fan here. I think this is the rough idea. Alloa have just employed a new scout in England with the plan of bringing up decent non league players and giving them a platform to try and win a move to full-time football. There was a pile of boys up on trial last week and Layne was signed shortly after so I'm assuming this scout was behind it. Quite a departure for Alloa but it seems that the club believe it's worth trying.

Alloa's normal standing would be well below League 2 I think but our team over the past 2 or 3 seasons has been brilliant by our own standards. We drew with Oxford and Northampton the last couple of summers and on both occasions they said we played a passing game that they weren't used to. This season we have had some great results - beating Hibs and Rangers - but we have problems with scoring goals, too often trying to walk the ball into the net. It seems that Layne is fairly quick and direct, the kind of striker we don't really have, so the manager must feel he is worth taking a shot on. Hopefully he can do better than the other ex Southend player in the league, the quite magnificently awful Moshni at Rangers:smile:.

Good luck to Southend for the rest of the season, I hope you are celebrating promotion come May.

Back