• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sorry, disagree with this in recent years. I agree that back when we achieved back to back promotions that there wasn't an awful lot of difference between L1 and L2.....It's changed a lot in those 10+ years. We're seeing a far better caliber of player turning out for L1 sides that L2. This is partly because so many Premier league teams are looking abroad for most of their talent and therefore better players are dropping down to Championship to get games.....This logic then trickles down the leagues accordingly.

This is why we should be looking to bolster the squad with some better talent, we are simply not going to cut it in L1 next year with the current squad. There are a few players I think will do OK and worth keeping hold of, and one who will smash it (Bentley), but the rest of the squad will be treading water in my opinion. Bentley is the only player I would be genuinely gutted to lose, although I know it's not far away in reality.

These are just opinions though and no-one really knows until the results start coming in. My personal thoughts are that players like Prosser are well short of the standard required.

Other than the Brentford replay (and remember we outplayed them in the first leg and had already beaten them in the JPT) a talent gap wasn't at all evident in any of our numerous cup matches against League One opposition that have taken place in the last ten years. Whilst League One has improved, so has League Two.

The majority of our players could play at League One quite easily. In fact, I think most of them already have. That's not to say they will star and stand out at League One level, but they certainly wouldn't look particularly out of place in most League One teams.

Of course we need to look to improve the squad, particularly as we've carelessly lost one of our few difference makers, but with the right players around them pretty much our entire first team squad could play League One level and many could even fill in at Championship level. There will certainly be worst players than we've got on our books making appearances in the Championship next season. What makes more difference at this level than individual quality (quality being much of a muchness) is getting in players with the right skill-sets to play in the system we want to play and to play alongside the players we've got.

Maybe controversial, but I'd much rather see JBW here next season than Prosser

Agree with this. I would much rather a "potentially better" player than a player at his peak whom will never be better than 3rd/4th choice for us moving forward.

Would only take JBW back if we signed him though.

Sorry, disagree with this in recent years. I agree that back when we achieved back to back promotions that there wasn't an awful lot of difference between L1 and L2.....It's changed a lot in those 10+ years. We're seeing a far better caliber of player turning out for L1 sides that L2. This is partly because so many Premier league teams are looking abroad for most of their talent and therefore better players are dropping down to Championship to get games.....This logic then trickles down the leagues accordingly.

This is why we should be looking to bolster the squad with some better talent, we are simply not going to cut it in L1 next year with the current squad. There are a few players I think will do OK and worth keeping hold of, and one who will smash it (Bentley), but the rest of the squad will be treading water in my opinion. Bentley is the only player I would be genuinely gutted to lose, although I know it's not far away in reality.

These are just opinions though and no-one really knows until the results start coming in. My personal thoughts are that players like Prosser are well short of the standard required.

Your argument is valid to a certain extent, and you can go back even further that the standard of League One (or Division 3) 20 years ago, is probably about the same as the conference now, as every level has improved.

What you don't take into account, is that it is not just Premier down to League one that has improved and League two has stayed behind in some twilight zone.

The gap between the divisions hasn't really changed other than at the top, and the gap get bigger the higher up you go.

Most conference teams do well in League two, and most League two sides do OK going up into League one (look how many finish top half in their first season).

It only when you then get to the Championship that the gap gets a bit bigger, and then even bigger going up to the Prem.

The bookies have 6 teams predicted to do worse than us at the moment.

Yes I agree I think we can do better than Jerome. Be a real shame if Prosser left, he has improved continuously during the last five years and has just turned 27, so is approaching the peak of his career.

The irony is strong in this one.

Prosser was dreadful when he joined, far worse than JBW, yet as you point out improved.

When he signed we had people saying (incorectly) how JBW was better than Coker, so he cant be all that bad.

JBW is a young player and does have potential to grow, which is surely something we should be looking to do? Not every player we sign will be the finished article.

“I’ve had a chat with Luke about the situation and at the moment he’s part of my plans so I don’t want him to go anywhere else.

He said this to Lee Barnard if I am not mistaken.

“I’ve had a chat with Luke about the situation and at the moment he’s part of my plans so I don’t want him to go anywhere else.

He said this to Lee Barnard if I am not mistaken.

In his plans, could simply mean as a squad player or backup.

And 'at the moment' could mean he may change his mind tomorrow!

If I were in Luke's position I would probably engineer a move to a club where the manager publically states that he really wants me!

whatever way we look at it, JBW is never a full back.

Total b------s.Still very young,but nobody who knows their football can fail to see he has outstanding potential-Palace have managed to keep hold of him on a two year contract.He also excelled with Thompson at CB,putting in performances poor Prosser could only dream of and with Bolger also looking more and more the part,we could have 3 highly capable young centre-backs who should get better and better.

Prosser was dreadful when he joined, far worse than JBW, yet as you point out improved.

When he signed we had people saying (incorectly) how JBW was better than Coker, so he cant be all that bad.

JBW is a young player and does have potential to grow, which is surely something we should be looking to do? Not every player we sign will be the finished article.

JBW will undoubtedly improve but I don't think we have time to sit around and wait for him to reach his potential. He'd only be joining on loan. Sorry but I just can't relax with JBW at the back at all. Prosser was terrible at first as you rightly say, but he's been consistently very good for three years now.

I think my point is that we need probably 2 good (i.e starting line-up level) L1 signings in Midfield and Defense. We obviously need the same again up front, with some backup. That's 6-8 signings in my opinion, 4-6 of which will be starting 11 players.

Losing players like Prosser does not worry me in the slightest. Like I said, he was a good servant in League Two, but we have to embrace a higher level of football next season and try to avoid being short-sighted, and there are several like Luke who can probably be cut-loose/sold.

I think PB released the right players at the end of the season and I think he is probably not just going to hand players the deal they want, even if they are likely to do a decent job in L1 (a'la Timlin). There are many many footballers looking for a club at the moment who are at his level or above and possibly available for less....And that is the decision PB has to make. Anyone with their eyes open in the last few years will acknowledge that Timlins performances hit maximum throttle when a potential deal is just around the corner, so let's not ignore that either.

As for Corr, he would have been no more than a backup striker in L1 and made the right move for all involved.

JBW will undoubtedly improve but I don't think we have time to sit around and wait for him to reach his potential. He'd only be joining on loan. Sorry but I just can't relax with JBW at the back at all. Prosser was terrible at first as you rightly say, but he's been consistently very good for three years now.

Prosser has got better, but only the last two years would I say good enough and both seasons he ended up being replaced.

If JBW is on loan then that goes against the future potential argument, but whilst Im not a massive fan I think he is good enough as a squad player.

I'm not sure he was. He was signed as first choice pairing partner with Phillips and with Barker at LB. He did ok until that dreadful performance against Port Vale, and then took some time to re-gain confidence.

As it goes, I really like Prosser, he's no nonsense and committed. I do think there is something in Binnom-Williams' locker that can be developed, but at the moment, I would prefer Prosser's experience.

I'm not sure he was. He was signed as first choice pairing partner with Phillips and with Barker at LB. He did ok until that dreadful performance against Port Vale, and then took some time to re-gain confidence.

As it goes, I really like Prosser, he's no nonsense and committed. I do think there is something in Binnom-Williams' locker that can be developed, but at the moment, I would prefer Prosser's experience.

Not suggesting its one over the other to be honest, just using both in the same post because Jai highlighted Prosser as someone who improved and people need to be careful when writing young players off too early.

Id be happy for Prosser to be here as he is a decent centre half and does the job, JBW on the other hand gives us back up for Coker.

Prosser has got better, but only the last two years would I say good enough and both seasons he ended up being replaced.

If JBW is on loan then that goes against the future potential argument, but whilst Im not a massive fan I think he is good enough as a squad player.

Why is there such an anti loan feeling on the zone? I would be more than happy to see JBW back loan. Remember if we are using a loan player then we only pay one third of their wages. Some people expect us to sign 4 forwards, but with out doubt PB will be looking at loan signings in that department.

The CB position has been a really strong area for us with each player improving last season. One person who deserves a lot of credit but has been forgotten is Graham Coughlan. After the Portsmouth away game he went straight on the pitch to JBW, who had just had a great game and this was only his second full match at CB. You could see clearly they had worked hard together and were both delighted with the result. All the former Bulger boo boys have given AB all the credit for Cian's great run of form at the end of the season, but again lets not over look Coughlan.

Personally, I don't ever want to see JBW in a Southend shirt again. Prosser is far more professional and more of a 'club' player as previously said and willing to take the head injuries to get the job done - never saw any of that from JBW and looked pretty lazy at times, so no thanks, he can stay put at Palace.

Shame you weren't at Oxford, Portsmouth or Shrewsbury you might have seen a different player. Obviously you know more than Crystal Palace and PB put together.

Total b------s.Still very young,but nobody who knows their football can fail to see he has outstanding potential-Palace have managed to keep hold of him on a two year contract.He also excelled with Thompson at CB,putting in performances poor Prosser could only dream of and with Bolger also looking more and more the part,we could have 3 highly capable young centre-backs who should get better and better.

Really? For me JBW started very well and then his performances dipped badly, hence why he didn't get a sniff of the first team in those final couple of months. And that was a good decision from Brown IMHO. Don't get me wrong he does have potential but I'd be alarmed if JBW was to re-join as a starter in L1 come August. He'd be good cover as his versatility is a big plus, I'd be happy to see him return as backup although I doubt he'd come back to sit on the bench. To say he put in performances that "Prosser could only dream of" though is a little insulting to Luke who has made a dramatic improvement in the past couple of years. If you asked me who I'd prefer at centre-half of the two of them it would be Prosser every time, he's far more reliable defensively and I hope he stays (although I wouldn't blame him if he left).

Why is there such an anti loan feeling on the zone? I would be more than happy to see JBW back loan. Remember if we are using a loan player then we only pay one third of their wages. Some people expect us to sign 4 forwards, but with out doubt PB will be looking at loan signings in that department.

Because with loan players you get all the negatives of having to deal with young players (the mistakes, the inconsistencies, the growing pains) without the upsides (the big fat transfer fee, the improvement in subsequent seasons, the satisfaction in seeing a Moussa grow in stature over a number of seasons).

It's not the way to build anything. It's a temporary sticky-plaster.

The exception to this is when it's with a view to a permanent move when we get to try before we buy or if it's almost literally a temporary sticky-plaster as it's as cover for a player with a long term injury. In those scenarios I'm a huge advocate of loans, otherwise no thank you.

Back