• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who's the plonker who said most Southend fans thinks it's a bad signing? I'm only seeing Mr(s)blue and Kev29 (moaner) who are lovers and saying that.

And that, my friend, is how incredibly stupid rumours spread on other message boards, cos they don't bother to read it all!!

Hey guys, lets all have a spliff and chill the feck out, no wonder the club has been in such a bad place in the last few years with all the bad vibes and negative energy flying around on here:darkcloud:

I think the relevant people need to double up on their HRT and have a sweet sherry..

Would all posters who are members of the Police force and Customs, or derivatives thereof, please ignore this post. Thank you.

On the Rollercoaster that is following SUFC I think we are on the up. It may well turn out to be a small up, but up nonetheless. Long may it continue, I for one will enjoy the ride.......................................

This is a promising signing for David Mooney. He had his best season with Orient alongside Kevin Lisbie, a clever striker with plenty of skill not too dissimilar to Noel Hunt. Hopefully these two can make a good pairing, although I can't see much in the way of hold-up play from them. Looks like we'll have to play the ball on the floor.

This is a promising signing for David Mooney. He had his best season with Orient alongside Kevin Lisbie, a clever striker with plenty of skill not too dissimilar to Noel Hunt. Hopefully these two can make a good pairing, although I can't see much in the way of hold-up play from them. Looks like we'll have to play the ball on the floor.

You are presuming Mooney and Hunt will play together. Someone said earlier that his Ipswich mate reckons Hunt will score 20+.

Both the above depend on the formation PB uses. I am sure he will play 451 away but really needs to be 442 at home

I was (still am) sorry to see BBBC go; BUT with Wordsworth and Mooney; and now HUNT we have some forward options that MUST have emphasis on working the ball forward and not lumping it up to the big guy. PB wants to play some more expansive football and with pacey wingers (Wozza and Westie) we have a tidy, small squad.

Yep it's only mrsblue who loves Williams, I'll give you that. Fair enough.

There are other "ageing players" though that have done very well for us, Goater being a prime example and he was 4 years older than Hunt. Prior and Edwards are other notables, and now even Barrett! Jeez 32 isn't exactly ancient for a footballer, and Hunt only effectively has a one year deal as the club have protected themselves with an option to release him after one year if it doesn't work out. No reason why it shouldn't though, he's a quality player who many Ipswich fans wanted to keep. I wouldn't disagree that the likes of Harris and Eastwood (second time around) were poor value for money in the end. Freedman was unlucky with his major injury as he looked like he could be a talisman for us before that, there were many Leeds fans desperate for him to sign permanently there. However unlike Harris we haven't handed Hunt a 3-year deal. We've got a quality player from a higher level on a one-year contract with an option the club can exercise if things work out. That is a fantastic deal for Southend United, if some people aren't happy with a signing like that then they'll only be satisfied if they see Ronaldo parking his car at Boots & Laces.....

Just to let you know Kev29 and mrsblue are the same person. You've had your fun and well done but now stop it mrsblue.

You are presuming Mooney and Hunt will play together. Someone said earlier that his Ipswich mate reckons Hunt will score 20+.

Both the above depend on the formation PB uses. I am sure he will play 451 away but really needs to be 442 at home

It would be extremely difficult for any striker to score 20 goals in a Phil Brown side. His concern is defence first and foremost, goals for are a bonus.

Formations really aren't relevant. It's a team mentality, not a formation, that will decide how many goals you score. We have a safety first mentality, whatever system we line up with.

When club signs an ageing injury prone player then the gamble is increased 10 fold.

Harris,Fred,Barney,Freedman to name just four were all spectacular gambles which all backfired!

Fred when he returned here his career was coming to an end,yet Ron threw a 2 year deal at him.
Harris had niggling injuries aplenty and his career was ending,yet Ron threw 2/3 deal at him
Ditto Freedman.
Barney had hardly played any football,he returned here and failed to score from open play and was generally terrible.

One mistake is fair enough
Two mistakes is stupid
3 mistakes is truly bizarre
4 mistakes is unbelievable

Now Noel,is he mistake number 5?

You sound like you want him to fail so that you can come on here and bask in your glory !! Is there nothing in you that realises if this signing comes off , it could be one of our greatest coups ! As some else alluded absolutely every signing a club makes is a risk, technically you could say that Torres was a nightmare signing for Chelsea and they bought a player free of injuries and on fire for Liverpool !!

Hopefully will turn into a fantastic signing. Think it's very shrewd to get it him on a 1-year plus option rather than 2 year!

Well done Phil Brown, showing the haters you were spot on again.

Glad we didn't move and panic sign someone else, like the majority wanted.

It would be extremely difficult for any striker to score 20 goals in a Phil Brown side. His concern is defence first and foremost, goals for are a bonus.

Formations really aren't relevant. It's a team mentality, not a formation, that will decide how many goals you score. We have a safety first mentality, whatever system we line up with.

I would expect most managers in the country adopt this approach, not just Brown.

Taking into account League 2, most teams, bar about 1 or 2, came to Roots Hall and stuck 11 men behind the ball and then hopefully hit us on the break and Browns tactics have never been that defensive!!

You make it sound like we never get forward, which is completely untrue and also, a lot of it can be down to the opposition and weren't we at one stage creating more chances that any other team in League 2.

Anyway most teams don't have players that score 20 league goals a season any more as the game has changed, there was only 1 that managed it in League 2 last season and 4 that managed it in League 1.

I'm just not getting this at all, why do a few think this is a bad signing. Hunt did ok for Ipswich last season, Ipswich fans I know think he is a brilliant signing and some were sorry to see him leave. They also think he is too good for league 1. This guy is a class act as proven by the teams he has played for and in the prem league. We would never have signed this type of player in league two, nor Wordsworth, another with a chequered injury record. These are the types of players u can attract in league one and we should be embracing them. This squad apart from a few lacks experience, the likes of Barrett, Hunt, Wordsworth etc offer the experience required to survive in this league. So get behind the lads, the new players and let's hope all falls into place. Another two signings required I feel, but the three signed plus new contracts has made this a decent summer so far.

For the record,

Noel is now our player and he will have my 100% support.

For the record,

Noel is now our player and he will have my 100% support.

Until he doesn't score in his first two games and your clueless views will kick him about Ron/Phil having a conspiracy to only sign forwards that don't score and Hunt is a waste of space.

Clueless as per usual.

Welcome Noël. This is excellent news and like most on here I believe he will be an excellent addition. In particular looking forward to seeing him combine with Mooney and Payne. I hope he has a great season and really enjoys his football here. Good Irish contingent gets stronger, Mc Laughlin next?

Back