• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Until he doesn't score in his first two games and your clueless views will kick him about Ron/Phil having a conspiracy to only sign forwards that don't score and Hunt is a waste of space.

Clueless as per usual.

Berk side,without you this forum would be missing a beat,your wonderful thoughts would be missed by everyone.

Berk you are the best poster on here:hilarious:

Welcome Noël. This is excellent news and like most on here I believe he will be an excellent addition. In particular looking forward to seeing him combine with Mooney and Payne. I hope he has a great season and really enjoys his football here. Good Irish contingent gets stronger, Mc Laughlin next?

That crossed my mind yesterday. I will be interested to see how Phil lays out his soldiers now, and whether Payne will be in contention for a starting berth, or still an impact sub.

That crossed my mind yesterday. I will be interested to see how Phil lays out his soldiers now, and whether Payne will be in contention for a starting berth, or still an impact sub.

If Mooney and Hunt both play then Jack's best hope is coming off the bench IMO.

I can see Hunt and Timlin linking up well, With Hunts movement and Timlin's ability to look for a different quick pass.

Not really. Jack is an attacking midfielder that would play just behind those two.. Jack will be battling for his place in the midfield, that now has tremendous competition for places.

At this time I can't see Payne starting many either, rather him being used as an impact sub, like last season. Of course injuries/suspensions to others will give him more opportunities and when he gets them he needs to stake his claim or as Brown would say he needs to bring what we know he can do to the party more consistently. This will be a big season for young Payne.

We have a great looking squad now with competition for places almost everywhere, just need another striker now and then players will be kept on there toes alright, great attacking options now with our new signings, I just hope brown plays to our strengths now and attacks sides from the start as we have nothing to lose in division 1 as we are at our best when attacking sides, bring on the first league game:thumbsup:

Is that going to change if this now forces Williams out on loan ?
dont think we can afford to send Williams out on loan unless we sign another forward, saying that nothing surprises me when it comes to some decisions brown makes:'(

At this time I can't see Payne starting many either, rather him being used as an impact sub, like last season. Of course injuries/suspensions to others will give him more opportunities and when he gets them he needs to stake his claim or as Brown would say he needs to bring what we know he can do to the party more consistently. This will be a big season for young Payne.

I understand the phrase "impact sub" but I'm not sure that applies in this case.

Not wanting to be argumentative but .............. bringing on Payne often (but not always) means a change in formation and style of play ........ and it is that plus Payne's running with the ball that causes the sort of change around that we saw at Bury away last season ......... so yes, Payne does make a difference but it is combining this with the other changes that makes the impact.

Not sure I've explained that very well but hopefully it makes some sort of sense. :unsure:

Just to let you know Kev29 and mrsblue are the same person. You've had your fun and well done but now stop it mrsblue.
dim person did not read the Wakering thread, where I went on and on about Willilams, someone she loves?

Yes and what a disaster that was! If only we played 442 in those games, we might still be in league 2. :thumbsup:

The real myth is the popular opinion on here that 442 is the only way we can win. Most teams opt for 433/451 now and it clearly is a strong set-up when you have the right players. Not to mention that its the only way Payne will fit into our team, he's not going to be in the middle of a 442 thats for sure!

Wordsworth and Hunt are both very effective and versatile players. Hunt can play as an inside forward in a 433 and wordsworth would have more of a licence to get forward and support the attack. Possibly that kind of system would suit us better now?
It was mainly an observation although I could mention that our last-gasp equaliser came as a result of a switch to a 4-4-2 with a cross from the left being cushioned by one forward to his fellow striker to score... :whistling:

Funnily enough, however, ultimately I agree with you. In general terms I'm not a big fan of 4-4-2 in the modern game but at the same time as brilliantly as we did points-wise, I think we lacked enough flexibility at home to play 4-5-1 effectively because Payne was suffocated by teams who came to defend in a way he wasn't when we played away from home so we could have done with either giving Corr a conventional strike partner earlier in the season than we did or allowing our other midfielders more licence to break forward.

As you say, Hunt should be a very useful signing and give us many more options in terms of fluidity of movement and hopefully - as long as Wordsworth isn't marked over-heavily - he can be the catalyst to make 4-5-1/4-3-3 much more viable this season. Still think we need another couple of forwards, though.

Jack Payne doesn't fit into a 442.
Brown either needs to decide Payne is good enough to build the team around and change his formation. Or maybe it's bye bye Jack - assuming he's not prepared to accept a bit part role.

Not really. Jack is an attacking midfielder that would play just behind those two.. Jack will be battling for his place in the midfield, that now has tremendous competition for places.

Not judging on his performance today, that was the role he was given and he didn't have a lot of joy.

I've just had an email from one of my customers who is a Reading season ticket holder and she had this to say about Noel Hunt:

I did see Southend had bought Noel. He was a good player for us, who always gave 100%, but is a bit injury prone. Despite his small stature, he can jump much higher than most players. He did say once this was down to him jumping off his roof (a bungalow I hasten to add) when he was a kid!

I don’t know how much Southend do within the community, but Hunt was a Princes trust ambassador, so was always doing things for charity. He was injured for a lot of last season, I think, but was briefly at Ipswich where he scored on his debut.

I wouldn’t worry if he knocks himself unconscious during a game, he usually ends up scoring after that! But I do think he will get you goals as long as he stays fit.

I, personally, think Hunt is a terrific signing, and along with Mooney & Wordsworth, is a signal of our intent and says to me that Phil Brown isn't just looking at surviving next season, but giving it a real good go. Not saying that we are going to be promoted or even make the play offs, but I think we could have a good season ahead.

Back