• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ronnie whelan, best 33 year old we signed, direct from Liverpool... Fairly fit too... Better than the risky Hunt. The trio above did go wrong.... No doubt we still pay Harris now... And he left yonks ago..

your stats are out joined 2014.....

My apologies. If you aren't wiggy then fair enough. You can see why the question would be asked though, wiggy has disappeared since promotion and you do seem to be the only poster to vehemently agree with many of mrsblue's alternative views!

I can't disagree, I just don't go in for the romance of a player that was once good, the three cost us loads, oh read the Wakering thread, my views on the poor moving, burger munching Williams.... I don't always agree.

True, yet in 3 out of our final 4 games - including at Wembley of course - Brown still opted to start with 4-5-1.

They were tactical reasons though (that I personally didn't agree with) and not because Brown never plays 4-4-2.

I just get fed up with people claiming we always play 4-5-1, when that clearly isn't the case.

I can't disagree, I just don't go in for the romance of a player that was once good, the three cost us loads, oh read the Wakering thread, my views on the poor moving, burger munching Williams.... I don't always agree.

Yep it's only mrsblue who loves Williams, I'll give you that. Fair enough.

There are other "ageing players" though that have done very well for us, Goater being a prime example and he was 4 years older than Hunt. Prior and Edwards are other notables, and now even Barrett! Jeez 32 isn't exactly ancient for a footballer, and Hunt only effectively has a one year deal as the club have protected themselves with an option to release him after one year if it doesn't work out. No reason why it shouldn't though, he's a quality player who many Ipswich fans wanted to keep. I wouldn't disagree that the likes of Harris and Eastwood (second time around) were poor value for money in the end. Freedman was unlucky with his major injury as he looked like he could be a talisman for us before that, there were many Leeds fans desperate for him to sign permanently there. However unlike Harris we haven't handed Hunt a 3-year deal. We've got a quality player from a higher level on a one-year contract with an option the club can exercise if things work out. That is a fantastic deal for Southend United, if some people aren't happy with a signing like that then they'll only be satisfied if they see Ronaldo parking his car at Boots & Laces.....

When club signs an ageing injury prone player then the gamble is increased 10 fold.

Harris,Fred,Barney,Freedman to name just four were all spectacular gambles which all backfired!

Fred when he returned here his career was coming to an end,yet Ron threw a 2 year deal at him.
Harris had niggling injuries aplenty and his career was ending,yet Ron threw 2/3 deal at him
Ditto Freedman.
Barney had hardly played any football,he returned here and failed to score from open play and was generally terrible.

One mistake is fair enough
Two mistakes is stupid
3 mistakes is truly bizarre
4 mistakes is unbelievable

Now Noel,is he mistake number 5?

I'll take those players not working out but age has nothing to do with it.
Goater, prior, Edwards, whelan all done well

Obviously he's no Jason Williams but...

Honestly, some of you could suck the air out of a spring meadow. Of course it's a gamble, just as the other signings a club like ours inevitably has to make. Maybe we did need to learn from the Eastwood II, Harris and Barnard II experiences, but we've got him on ONE YEAR with an option if WE think it's worth it.

As for 4-4-2, get over it. We all know Brown's philosophy by now and, thank the lord, he's more in line with successful modern managerial approaches than the fans bemoaning his approach.

Great signing in a position needing strengthening. Well done Southend United.

True, yet in 3 out of our final 4 games - including at Wembley of course - Brown still opted to start with 4-5-1.

Yes and what a disaster that was! If only we played 442 in those games, we might still be in league 2. :thumbsup:

The real myth is the popular opinion on here that 442 is the only way we can win. Most teams opt for 433/451 now and it clearly is a strong set-up when you have the right players. Not to mention that its the only way Payne will fit into our team, he's not going to be in the middle of a 442 thats for sure!

Wordsworth and Hunt are both very effective and versatile players. Hunt can play as an inside forward in a 433 and wordsworth would have more of a licence to get forward and support the attack. Possibly that kind of system would suit us better now?

Yes and what a disaster that was! If only we played 442 in those games, we might still be in league 2. :thumbsup:

The real myth is the popular opinion on here that 442 is the only way we can win. Most teams opt for 433/451 now and it clearly is a strong set-up when you have the right players. Not to mention that its the only way Payne will fit into our team, he's not going to be in the middle of a 442 thats for sure!

Wordsworth and Hunt are both very effective and versatile players. Hunt can play as an inside forward in a 433 and wordsworth would have more of a licence to get forward and support the attack. Possibly that kind of system would suit us better now?

Having signed 2 strikers in Mooney and Hunt, You would think that we would be setting up for 442. Playing 451 or even 433 would be counter productive to having 2 good strikers who I think will play well together. Can't see the benefit of 451 or in reality a 433 either. Not sure we would get the best out of either Mooney or Hunt playing wide in the 433 formation. Only time will tell though

Having signed 2 strikers in Mooney and Hunt, You would think that we would be setting up for 442. Playing 451 or even 433 would be counter productive to having 2 good strikers who I think will play well together. Can't see the benefit of 451 or in reality a 433 either. Not sure we would get the best out of either Mooney or Hunt playing wide in the 433 formation. Only time will tell though

We signed 2 strikers because we had no strikers in the squad, that doesn't necessarily mean that we are playing 442 every week. They certainly could play well together, but you need to be able to play a variety of systems thoughout a season and Hunt can (and has done) play out wide in a 433.

The benefit to playing a 433 is quite clear: Wordsworth/Payne are more suited to a 5 man midfield, Payne simply cant play in the middle of a 442 and he needs to play games. Not to mention that it would allow Worrall (one of our best attacking players) to get forward more where he is more effective.

The problem with us playing 451 last season was that we lacked a mobile striker and the midfield didn't support the striker enough. Both of those problems could be improved with the signings of Wordsworth/Mooney. I can see us playing 433 (and 442) a lot this season, particularly away from home, and it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Ronnie whelan, best 33 year old we signed, direct from Liverpool... Fairly fit too... Better than the risky Hunt. The trio above did go wrong.... No doubt we still pay Harris now... And he left yonks ago..

What an absolutely ridiculous statement. There can be absolutely no truth in that at all!

Mrsblue unusually makes a valid point, it is a gamble, particularly if the player is just looking for a last good deal and then ambles along due to old injury restrictions. Barney and Freddy had brilliant first spells with us but subsequently it was embarrassing to watch them go through the motions.
Hopefully Hunt will do well, and I certainly wish him well.

Mr(s)blue unusually makes a good point, you are Mr(s) blue and I claim my £5 :smile:

Quite possibly the biggest signing we,ve made in years and still you get idiots on here moaning

Not quite sure that Hunt is the messiah, which is the direction in which this thread is rapidly heading, but wish any new signing well. Pleased that Ron seems to have learned from previous mistakes with a 1+1 contract.
Seems to me like the squad is nearly there now - possibly even a bit heavy in places? I'd like to see us loan in a bit of raw pace up front, but understand that won't be easy - every club in the bottom 2 leagues would want that sort of player and the bigger clubs will also want to see their best kids getting constant game time which we can't guarantee. Let's hope PB has a few contacts in higher places.

Hey guys, lets all have a spliff and chill the feck out, no wonder the club has been in such a bad place in the last few years with all the bad vibes and negative energy flying around on here:darkcloud:

I think the relevant people need to double up on their HRT and have a sweet sherry..

Hey guys, lets all have a spliff and chill the feck out, no wonder the club has been in such a bad place in the last few years with all the bad vibes and negative energy flying around on here:darkcloud:

I think the relevant people need to double up on their HRT and have a sweet sherry..

Hmmmmm I think you need to stay off the whacky Backy dooooooood lol :smile:

Back