• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So should be expect a bid from Huddersfield now for Bentley?

I wondered that, probably wouldn't be a good move for Dan, Huddersfield are only ever likely to go down, they'll never get to the Premiership, QPR or Hull would be a better move, in my opinion, although the QPR opportunity is obviously now gone.

So should be expect a bid from Huddersfield now for Bentley?

I doubt they would be able to meet the asking price!

I personally don't think QPR is a good place to go. Apart from Redknapp, they don't seem to keep hold of their managers for very long, which gives the impression that it's an unstable club...

What we don't need happening is morons in the East stand shouting out to Bentley reminding him he is a Southend player and then using the C-bomb during play, at half time and full time to try and get across their point.

When other fans in the block tell them to shut up, they get offered the chance to go out side and sort it out. Morons

On Bentleys move, i don't think he would want to go and sit on the bench watching football. He still might go to QPR but get a season loan back to us (fingers crossed) Then we can take the money, strengthen the squad and move on.

Would that be in the East Reds?

If he stays we stand to lose him for a small fee in Jan or next summer, surely if he doesn't go anywhere this window we need to offer him an improved contract with a £1m release clause. I know we would want more. but realistically would Dan sign on any other terms, I hope he's not to peeved about us rejecting QPR it would have been a great move for him.

I think so. I think he was in Block C. Not sure on the colour that is now. My mate was with his son during the Walsall game and mentioned this to me after the game during our post match drink.

I think so. I think he was in Block C. Not sure on the colour that is now. My mate was with his son during the Walsall game and mentioned this to me after the game during our post match drink.

I really can't see what anyone has to moan at Dan about, he hasn't put a foot wrong in all this transfer speculation, he's playing and playing well, he hasn't run to the Echo slating the team and accusing them of ruining his "Dream move" he's got on with his job!

That's correct.

I can tell you what happened, as I was the one who stood up for Dan.

Bentley kicked the ball out to Worrall on the left wing, but went over his head and out of play. This guy, stood up and said "Bentley, stop dreaming about QPR, you are a Southend United player for **** sake".

I said "Come off it, it was a simple mistake". To which the guy, stood up at me, and proceeded to say I was a "A fat, bullying ****". I tried to explain myself again but he was having any of it, saying he was going to beat me up. He sits in row D, and I sit in row E.

I'll admit to having a couple of rows with people around me, but a bully I am not.

Back onto the subject, Dan Bentley has handled himself immaculately throughout this whole situation. I've met him a few times, he came and watched my charity match in May, along with John White, to watch Ian Bentley (Dan's Dad) in goal.

I've only spoken to him once about his future and he said I'm a Southend United player, and proud to be so. That will not change unless the Club accepts a bid for me.

That is exactly how it should be handled. I admit, he isn't likely to say, I'd love to bugger off as soon as possible and get paid more money, but when you look at Izale McLeod phoning in sick at Crawley, and Nicky Bailey doing the same to us, Dan's stance is a breath of fresh air.

I think the problem I am more concerned about is that there will be no more coming in until any money is raised from the sale of DB. it sounds like we have a queue of players lined up to sign, but the only problem is to get those deals over the fence we need money ? Surely if cash wasn't the issue we would have signed them in pre season like most of the other clubs we will be facing week in week out

I think the problem I am more concerned about is that there will be no more coming in until any money is raised from the sale of DB. it sounds like we have a queue of players lined up to sign, but the only problem is to get those deals over the fence we need money ? Surely if cash wasn't the issue we would have signed them in pre season like most of the other clubs we will be facing week in week out

Exactly this!

If that's the case why didn't they accept QPR's offer last week?

The club could actually be quite coy here and use the Smithies/QPR situation as bait for a lucrative new contract for Bentley which safeguards both our interests. At £1.5m Smithies is great value, he’s a proven goalkeeper at both L1 and Championship standard with more than 250 games under his belt. He’s far more prepared for Championship football than Bentley and at 25 he’s still got another decade ahead of him. Simply put, at this moment in time Smithies is a more desirable target for a club of QPR’s stature and expectation.

We can however offer Bentley everything he needs to get to the same or similar level within the next year or two. Regular first-team football in a development environment where he has enough goodwill with the crowd that they’ll forgive him the odd clanger or two.

A three-year, improved deal with a £2m break clause just might be of interest to him.

If he stays we stand to lose him for a small fee in Jan or next summer, surely if he doesn't go anywhere this window we need to offer him an improved contract with a £1m release clause. I know we would want more. but realistically would Dan sign on any other terms, I hope he's not to peeved about us rejecting QPR it would have been a great move for him.

What's the point of a release clause lower than offers we've already rejected? No-one will offer more than that because we will be duty bound to accept it.

We're in danger of screwing this one right up if we haven't done so already.
If we don't flog him now, he's going to leave in January or (more likely) next summer for tribunal money. We may also have a player on our books who feels he has done the right thing (he's been a model pro amidst the speculation) and still not got his move - let's be honest, QPR would have been ideal for him. Someone like Raheem Sterling is clearly a little **** - but he did what he did and got what he wanted. Bentley has done the right thing and may end up being in goal for us for another season - not too sure he'll be happy with that outcome.

If we don't flog him now, he's going to leave in January or (more likely) next summer for tribunal money. We may also have a player on our books who feels he has done the right thing (he's been a model pro amidst the speculation) and still not got his move - let's be honest, QPR would have been ideal for him. Someone like Raheem Sterling is clearly a little **** - but he did what he did and got what he wanted. Bentley has done the right thing and may end up being in goal for us for another season - not too sure he'll be happy with that outcome.

So what should we have done? Accept 1.25 million?

Last edited:

Why would sitting on the bench at QPR be an ideal for him?

Royce took us to flirting with the play offs in the second tier. Bentley looked good in the fourth tier.

The only thing Bentley has over Royce today, IMO, is distribution. Royce wasn't as tall but was ok at commanding his area, especially considering some of the numpties he had playing at centre half.

That is no way to talk about Keith Dublin, Simon Coleman, Mark McNally, Leo Roget, Mick Bodley and some of the other luminaries we had playing at centre back in the mid-90s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what should we have done? Accept 1.25 million?

The club have to do what they feel is right. Personally I think £1.25m with add-ons (including a sell-on of course) is good business for a goalkeeper with less than a year left. But then again neither I (nor any of us I would suspect) know anything about how the QPR offer was structured and how much would have been paid up front. We therefore have to just hope the board and management make the correct decision for the football club over the long term. If he stays til January or later then I just hope we don't end up with substantially less than £1.25m when Bentley is finally sold.

I guarantee if we sold him for 1.25m there would have been uproar that we let him go too cheaply.

IF Bentley doesn't go anywhere in this or the January 16 transfer window, would there be anything involving a future possible transfer to prevent him signing an improved contract?

Back