• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shame to see Coker need tinhave a dig at the fans. It is ****ing embarrassing some of the things the pop out of people's mouths after a team just scored against us.

Pray tell more.......

Smack bang in the middle of the table after 9 games. Early days still, but a solid start.

Couldn't be there today so thanks for the match reports. :thumbsup:

4 points from the play-offs and 4 points above the bottom four teams. Nine matches played - I'd have taken that at the beginning of the season.

A rare game where a tackle changed the game. The Scunny sub , 10, came on , looked dangerous and the whole team stepped up a gear, he was causing trouble with the runs from deep.

When Deegan committed the foul deep in their half I said to mrs FS that it was a wasted card and it needed to be the 10 he went in hard on. A quick look round the pitch and I realised it was 10 !
After the tackle, 10 drifted out of the game, Scunny looked rattled and started to pick up cards of their own.imho a game changing challenge

When Deegan committed the foul deep in their half I said to mrs FS that it was a wasted card and it needed to be the 10 he went in hard on. A quick look round the pitch and I realised it was 10 !
After the tackle, 10 drifted out of the game, Scunny looked rattled and started to pick up cards of their own.imho a game changing challenge

Who would have thought pre-season that Deegan would play two back to back games in the side on merit, and getting good marks from most on here. Its a funny old game.

Just listened to Mark Robbins interview - basically saying we are route one type of team, is this fair?

Truthfully, I don't give a toss what he thinks, but we are still bedding in on our playing style. It will probably take a few more games yet before davewebbsbrain is purring at our game play.

I couldn't work out what our formation was at the start. Worrall was a centre striker and the midfield were all over the place. PB said on the radio that they worked on a clever move from the kick-off, but it didn't work. You're not kidding. The players looked really confused. Come to think of it, you could be right guys. It could be a centre midfield 3, with Worrall flitting between the wings. Either way, Scunny looked far better at the start and McShfeffrey scored a beauty. The Scunny forwards worked really hard shutting us down, and we struggled to play from the back.

Eventually though, we got our passing game together and they started to tire as we knocked it about. Much better 2nd half performance which the lads deserved for digging in hard when the chips were down.

Bentley - 7 First half 5. Made one terrible flap at a cross he shouldn't have come for. They should have scored from it. 2nd half 9. Made a couple of brilliant saves.

Coker - 9 A great performance. An assist and a well taken goal. And first game back after injury.
Prosser - 7.5 Solid. Kept it simple
Bolger - 6.5 OK
O'Neill - 6 1st half 5. Had a shocker. 2nd half 7. Much better
Timlin - 7 When we went behind, he kept battling and harrassing. Ground them down
Deegan - 7.5 Nice and tidy. As with Timlin, kept a positive attitude and it paid off
Leonard - 7 Worked really hard. Can't stand is diving, though. It's starting ti really irritate me
Worrall - 6.5 Not quite with it today. Always puts a shift in though
Mooney - 8 The guy wants the ball at his feet, and when we give it to him there, he looks classy. Worked hard
Pigott - 5 Poor first half. Didn't look interested in the 2nd. Bye bye
Subs
Hunt - 8. Class act. Holds up the ball really well.
Weston - 6 Not on long
Rea 6- Only on for a few mins

Robins is a twonk. They were far more long ball than we were and both our goals were swift incisive passing passages of play. There goal was top notch though, the scunny fans were chearing even before the ball hit the net.

Thought bringing on Hunt after 55mins changed the game in our favour seemed to give the rest of the team more confidence. Wish Mooney would convert some of those 1 on 1's.

Shame to see Coker need tinhave a dig at the fans. .

he said this on BBC Essex after the game. "the fans just have got to get behind us a little bit more at home cos they start getting on our backs a little bit and it makes the boys a little bit tense but if they get behind us a little more I think it will help us"

And why shouldn't he say this. Always amuses me how the dishers out get all upset when they get a bit back. He was just telling fans the eternal truth. Players don't play better with the crowd on their backs (as the great Alan Moody said although I paraphrase).
Piggot is 21 years old BTW and no doubt will go on to have a decent career once he leaves the boo boys of Roots Hall like so many other young strikers.

Our figures in the table have a satisying numerical feel to them

9 3 3 3 9 9 12

Neat and tidy.

As far as PB is concerned you're like a broken record.

Haven't said a word against him in weeks. I wasnt running him down now either, I was merely pointing out if we are playing the long ball then I would expect the same sturrock got. As for me, I'm happy with the long ball so wouldn't knock PB for it

I don't know- so many sit in the same stadium watch the same game but it's as if actually they are at a multiplex watching different screenings of the same game played a different way (although it appears never with a different result).

For what its worth I enjoyed the game. I was aware at the beginning I was not watching Arsenal vs Man City but then my bank balance had already confirmed that. The first half was fine- not the best but we have played much worse. Of course its true anyone we meet must be a poor side (except actually Scunthorpe we ok, played some reasonable stuff & were better than most sides we saw last year but then this is L1).

Mark Robbins comment about us being a long ball side means he was looking at a different screen to me. Actually 80% of the time Bentley distributed to the back for and we played it out- when we played the longer ball it was into the channels and more often than not we got on the end of it.

The second half was better- partly because things came off a bit better, partly because we got more space as Scunthorpe tired- our fitness remains a plus with the midfield, Mooney and Coker stand outs on this score.

I thought the players understood the formation much better. Neither Timlin or Leonard were playing wide but when Worrall was playing the other side they worked hard to cover & provide a bit more width. It seems to be a compromise that is beginning to work.

Now some ratings

Bentley - 8 Good- then always is. Actually thought his distribution excellent.
Coker - 9 Very, very good in defence and attack. Very wise to get him on a long contract
Prosser - 7 Did nothing wrong- perfectly competent at L1 level and going to L2 would have been stupid (which it appears he is not). AB is still ahead of him but he will get games and i believe will be a regular in a year or so
Bolger - 7 Very dominant in the air, better and better on the ground and will be a very good player for us (capable of keeping Rae out and he is ours)
O'Neill - 6 OK- perfectly ok performance but it serves to highlight what a good defender JW is (particular in the air where the difference is marked). JW is the better defender and O'Neill never really got forward (not a scenario that helps the comparison)
Timlin - 7 Worked very hard in defines and attached- getting back to his best and his best is very good.
Deegan - 8 He adds bite and is by far our best player in front of the back 4- he accepts the ball in tight situations retains and moves it on- makes it look easy as good players do- got forward more as well.
Leonard - 7 Much better- cut out the long raking passes and focussed on what he does well- work rate, defending, winning fouls and, at last driving forward with the ball at feet.
Worrall - 6 Worked very hard without too much coming off. Worth his place and will be there next week.
Mooney - 8 He is one of the hardest working front men you will see. Like him.
Pigott - 6 Get off his back- he is frustrated because its not working at the moment. Worked reasonably hard and it will come as long as the boo boys restrain themselves.
Subs
Hunt - 8. Not 100% or fully himself- but so good he does not need to be 100%- made Coker's goal
Weston - 6 On for 5 mins
Rea 6- On for 1 min

East side lino- pitiful

In the east greens it was the two ***** at the back of the stand who we're going after Pigott from the get go. They are a disgrace to our club. They are loud mouthed bullies and I was very close to giving it back to them in spades. You come into my part of the ground and do that again and you're going to get the verbal attacks back on you. You two are negative negative negative. I watched you throughout the game and you never supported the players. You only highlighted the negative. Just because you paid your money does not give you the right to slag off some of the team. How do you think the kids around you felt listening to all that. Do it again and watch us defend the kids and our club.

Back