• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Two games spring to mind
1 my first ever away game Southport
0 0 and our windows were smashed in on the coach
2 football special to Derby - massive surge in our end
I went over and several people were on top of
Me and I broke my collar bone - so much pain!!

Three times I trekked all the way to bloomin' Morecambe, a town with the worst dog excrement problem I've ever seen. I needn't remind you of the results each time......... The only silver lining was their excellent pies....

Had a pie there at the end of the last season, I was looking forward to it after hearing so much about them, but it wasn't all that maybe because it wasn't hot.

One of my most painful memories was being @ the Goldstone Ground in 1965 when Brighton thrashed us 9-1. Ray White was the unfortunate Goalkeeper.

Used to play in Rays golf society a few years ago. That's a game he never mentioned. I believe his brother Peter also played in goal.

Oxford away at the old Manor Ground when we had Mike Marsh et al, a relegation season and a 5-0 drubbing dished out that was the most passionless display I had witnessed from a Southend side.

The Manor still had fences up back then which the fans were trying to scale in order to get at the team. "You're not fit to wear the shirt" was the dominant chant. It was embarrassing.
Seem to remember being thoroughly ****ed off at that match,walking down the front and giving a few players some abuse.walked back up feeling pleased with myself and all hell broke loose with loads of people having a go.when it got to 5 0 went back to the pub��

Used to play in Rays golf society a few years ago. That's a game he never mentioned. I believe his brother Peter also played in goal.
No,Peter was a centre forward,also on the books for a while as a youngster.I'd played with and against them a bit as they were at Eastwood with my mate Stuart Lockwood,father of Matthew.

Three times I trekked all the way to bloomin' Morecambe, a town with the worst dog excrement problem I've ever seen. I needn't remind you of the results each time......... The only silver lining was their excellent pies....

Similar tale. Three times to Morecambe.
1st Feb 2012 0-1 defeat crap game and fractured shoulder. Fell running to catch sodding train on way home!
2nd Nov 2013 3-0 yes a win against Morecambe in FA cup. Straker was on fire!!
3rd May 2015 dont need to say any more!

Darlington August 1968.

Attacked next to the coach but rescued because everyone else could see us from across the canal and ran round to assist.

My thanks go to those who were there and are reading this - and to the others of course but they'll never know.

Never liked Darlington since but have been back on a number of occasions including a horrible 4-0.

Good result though.

Ha!The Gills away game (when Steve Phillips scored for us) and The Palace L.Cup game when I realised Paul Clark's career for us was all but over (Wright and Bright both helped themseves to hat-tricks, IIRC) were the two games I was going to mention!:sad:

But it's all character forming.

Your memory is playing tricks old chap.

Dean Neal not Steve Philips..............and Paul Clark played many more excellent games after Palace. There was no shame there - Palace were a proper team in those days. We played Stoke next I think - murdered them for half an hour and still lost 4-0. Hey Ho.

16th February 1994 against Notts County in the English Final Second Leg of the Anglo-Italian Cup at Meadow Lane. We were 1-0 up from the First Leg, let one in, went to penalties and Graham Bressington missed. Notts County won 4-3 on pens. It broke my then 11-year-old son's heart which he had set on seeing us play in the competition final at Wembley.

Hull 4-0 in championship. Massive game but we were dreadful. Incident on my train into London meant I missed the connecting train to hull so travelled up alone. Then there had been mix up with train tickets for return leg and had to wait around in Doncaster for a couple of hours. Ended up getting back in early hours and my mrs asked how was it...I replied today never happened and we won't speak of it again...

Hull 4-0 in championship. Massive game but we were dreadful. Incident on my train into London meant I missed the connecting train to hull so travelled up alone. Then there had been mix up with train tickets for return leg and had to wait around in Doncaster for a couple of hours. Ended up getting back in early hours and my mrs asked how was it...I replied today never happened and we won't speak of it again...

I'm glad I'm not the only one, that was such a **** day!

16th February 1994 against Notts County in the English Final Second Leg of the Anglo-Italian Cup at Meadow Lane. We were 1-0 up from the First Leg, let one in, went to penalties and Graham Bressington missed. Notts County won 4-3 on pens. It broke my then 11-year-old son's heart which he had set on seeing us play in the competition final at Wembley.

Ricky Otto headed over from one yard out.

Darlington August 1968.

Attacked next to the coach but rescued because everyone else could see us from across the canal and ran ound to assist.

My thanks go to those who were there
and are reading this - and to the others of course but they'll never know.

Never liked Darlington since but have been back on a number of occasions including a horrible 4-0.

Good result though.

4-0 at Darlo. In the new ground? I think Tilly said the team had a virus but I think we then went on to get promotion - but I could (easily) be wrong. Poor game but weather was okay I think.

4-0 at Darlo. In the new ground? I think Tilly said the team had a virus but I think we then went on to get promotion - but I could (easily) be wrong. Poor game but weather was okay I think.

Memory tells me Drewe was sent off as well.........

Ricky Otto headed over from one yard out.
I'd forgotten that bit. I remember thinking that the referee was biased against us all through the match and he seemed to have decided that the penalty shoot-out would be at the home fans' end without any toss of a coin that I could see.

Terrible game. Only highlight was decent fish and chips before the game. Long drive home having lost 4-0. Another character building experience!

Darlington August 1968.

Attacked next to the coach but rescued because everyone else could see us from across the canal and ran round to assist.

My thanks go to those who were there and are reading this - and to the others of course but they'll never know.

Good result though.

Remember Darlo incident, also remember Mickey Orr's cane which the "locals" tried to nick, but failed miserably.

Your memory is playing tricks old chap.

Dean Neal not Steve Philips..............and Paul Clark played many more excellent games after Palace. There was no shame there - Palace were a proper team in those days. We played Stoke next I think - murdered them for half an hour and still lost 4-0. Hey Ho.
Ray - I don't think Phil meant the 8-1 Aug. BH defeat at The Priestfield but an earlier defeat. And I think though Dean Neal had the shot, our goal came off one of their players and was subsequentlycredited as an "OGgy". Gemmell taped some Kentish commentary of Steve Lovell speaking after that game of how his "little boy" could have scored a tap-in amongst the four (?) he scored against us that day. Best thing about that game was being able to welcome Martin Ling back (when he was warming up as sub. on the touchline) after that skull fracture (sustained v Wrexham) towards the end of the previous season.

Ray - I don't think Phil meant the 8-1 Aug. BH defeat at The Priestfield but an earlier defeat. And I think though Dean Neal had the shot, our goal came off one of their players and was subsequentlycredited as an "OGgy". Gemmell taped some Kentish commentary of Steve Lovell speaking after that game of how his "little boy" could have scored a tap-in amongst the four (?) he scored against us that day. Best thing about that game was being able to welcome Martin Ling back (when he was warming up as sub. on the touchline) after that skull fracture (sustained v Wrexham) towards the end of the previous season.

Right you are Rob.I meant the 5/6-1 away defeat in the mid-70's when SP's did indeed score our goal.Was standing with you and Mule,IIRC.

Btw Ray I know Paul Clark played a few games after that Palace defeat-what I meant was it was obvious that his days were numbered after that.

Back