• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Don't expect us to score in the 1st half. I have seen us play 19 times at Gillingham since 1972, in which time we have scored ONE goal before half-time. And that was Boxing Day 1983 when we went on to lose 5-1 !!

Don't expect us to score in the 1st half. I have seen us play 19 times at Gillingham since 1972, in which time we have scored ONE goal before half-time. And that was Boxing Day 1983 when we went on to lose 5-1 !!
Please tell us you can't make it Saturday:smile:

I have never had any good feelings about Gillingham - the club, the town, etc.
The away end is a classic example of how to discourage any visiting fans from having a decent match day experience, if that is compared with Coventry then the two are polar distance and 40 years apart; is Roots Hall too similar to Gills for away fans that they would rather go to another away day?
I think it is the Gills thing which makes me not keen on our current home shirt.
I don't want to lose PB or a centre defender BUT why have they got OUR Justin E and Mr Egan?
AND the match, always the optomist I go for 2 Nil Blues, goals from Myles and The Pig.
Crowd 7,251, 457 Shrimpers who are all better resolved persons than me (for this away day).

I have never had any good feelings about Gillingham - the club, the town, etc.
The away end is a classic example of how to discourage any visiting fans from having a decent match day experience, if that is compared with Coventry then the two are polar distance and 40 years apart; is Roots Hall too similar to Gills for away fans that they would rather go to another away day?
I think it is the Gills thing which makes me not keen on our current home shirt.
I don't want to lose PB or a centre defender BUT why have they got OUR Justin E and Mr Egan?
AND the match, always the optomist I go for 2 Nil Blues, goals from Myles and The Pig.
Crowd 7,251, 457 Shrimpers who are all better resolved persons than me (for this away day).

We have already sold over 850 tickets.

Don't worry about the state of the away end, just get there by coach, train or boat or car or however and support the team and make some noise. A little bit of rain won't hurt you! Are you all going soft?

Memory lane..............and not very good ones! My first visit was back in 1960, FA Cup Second Round. If I remember well, we were leading 1-2, with ten minutes to go............we lost 3-2. :'( Can't remember the exact date of the second and last visit but I went with a mate who was purportedly covering the match for the Yellow Advertiser. Squeezed into an archaic pressbox with him..............didn't make any difference, we lost again. I hope those going on Saturday have better luck than me!

I've never liked Gillingham but in saying that I've always considered them to be the closest to us as a club than any other. Very similar history with promotions and relegation and a similar size core support. The town itself is a hole though....... Nothing like Southend of course!!!

The weather forecast will put a lot of people off, standing in the rain in that poor excuse of a stand isn't the most amazing prospect for most people. Myself on the other hand will be there.

As for the team selection, we shouldn't get sucked into making wholesale changes and denting lots of players' confidence just because we lost one game. Especially after playing rather well lately. Winning 6 out of 8 is no mean feat.

I would go for,

Bentley
White, Bolger, Pross, Coker

Deegs
Lenny Tims
Wordsworth
Weston Piggy

I really think this is Wordsworth best position, it's also a position where you don't have to rely on his defending too much, it allows him to express himself further forward. Weston would be playing against his former club and it would be nice for a player to score against his former club rather than a former player coming and scoring against us, which is what normally happens!

I like this, i'd go the same

Latest weather forecast for Gillingham tomorrow says it will stop raining at 1pm and start again at 6pm. We could be lucky and avoid a soaking on the scaffolding.

Far too narrow. Opposition wingers in acres of space lately. An overlapping fullback added and we struggling.

Sorry mate that's just not true. I'm not digging you out, there are others who think Worrall will cure any faults. We Have conceded goals from wide set pieces but not from crosses in open play. As the highlights from Tuesday show our problems are down the middle. Think about Barnsley's penalty and the goal at Crew. There are some pluses for both CB's to be higher up and in line but IMO we have looked better with Barrett sweeping behind Bolger.

Back to Tuesday if there is space out wide don't forget this means our team can also exploit it. Best two crosses of the game in the first half were from White to the near post and when Coker got past their last man right to the by-line and pulled it back for Wordsworth on his left foot, only for it to be skied over.

Best chance second half... Weston broke down the right, having skinned his man just Inside their half, In true Weston fashion having done the hard work he lacked that bit of quality with the final ball.

I have know idea how Gillingham set up but one things for certain they can score. PB may decide we need width and could play with 5 in mid-field. However I don't think we should dismiss the diamond, especially at home, as space out wide becomes a two-way street.

Last edited:
I think Deegan has to come back in for this one. Also am i right in thinking this is Weston's old club?? So think he will be up for it. Hopefylly we can bounce back and get a rare win at the gills. UTY

I ve been there on far more occasions than I care to remember and the only victory for us was v Brighton !

Back