• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

4th was a pretty good effort, but hard to follow in the footsteps of the likes of Vicky Leandros and Anne-Marie David and in 1974 everyone had upped their game, which was the beginning of the end for Luxembourg's domination of the competition.

Plus the fact that with a population of only 36, they were fast running out of potential singers.

They did win again in 1983, but by 1993 it was all over for the Grand Duchy and they haven't appeared since.

4th was a pretty good effort, but hard to follow in the footsteps of the likes of Vicky Leandros and Anne-Marie David and in 1974 everyone had upped their game, which was the beginning of the end for Luxembourg's domination of the competition.

Plus the fact that with a population of only 36, they were fast running out of potential singers.

They did win again in 1983, but by 1993 it was all over for the Grand Duchy and they haven't appeared since.

Excellent information - just what we all need to know! :smiles: :tease:

A pleasure.

Tomorrow, I'll be revealing how a plank of wood and a cowbell managed to seal a famous victory for Switzerland in 1957.

I was on a geology field trip in Swanage that weekend , with the Brother of the Luxemburg entry (Irene Sheer , she finished 4th)

You mean Luxembourg the cheats of Europe with such eminent competitors as Vicky Leandros and Nana Mouskouri (Greece); Anne-Marie David (France), Plastic Bertrand (Belgium) and Ireen Sheer (Basildon)

Same here mate, one of the few podcasts I listen to.

Yep, good stuff, as always.

Used to love his Radio shows on BBC Radio London.

If you've not heard his final show on BBC Radio London, then it's something else.

His twitter updates are always good value, too ... @prodnose

You mean Luxembourg the cheats of Europe with such eminent competitors as Vicky Leandros and Nana Mouskouri (Greece); Anne-Marie David (France), Plastic Bertrand (Belgium) and Ireen Sheer (Basildon)

....... :omg:

See, I told you they'd run out of singers!

Last edited:

Ireen Sheer Sang again in 78, finishing 6th , but this time for West Germany, then again for Luxemburg in 85 finishing 13th.

Apart from those of use who went to school with her brother , he real name was Wooldridge, I think she was unkown in the UK, the Germans, however loved her...

What are your own qualifications for speaking up "on behalf of our veterans?" :unsure:

Qualifications now there's subject you love to brag about. No I don't have a 'veterans degree' just plenty off stories and opinions from my 20+ family members who all lived through the war. My great uncle George died in the battle of Normandy. Two of my uncles were evacuated from Dunkirk. One of them would never speak about his experiences, he was machine gunned by a German plane whilst wading out to a boat. My granddad was part of the Italian campaign. My uncle John was one of the first people into Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.

As you can imagine none of them ever had much time for the Germans and I don't mean just Nazis. So no they wouldn't be offended by the bomber song. The drunken lads on Saturday did not ask to be, nor should they be, compared to war veterans. Others on here have decided to take the thread on that point scoring tangent.

By the way you were the one saying bombing German cities was a war crime a while back on another thread. Now I can say on behalf of all my family that they would be ashamed by your comments but not by the lads on Saturday.

Heard the chants both on Wednesday and as I entered the ground on Saturday. Didnt find it racist, just confused as to why it was being sung. Not an excuse, but I expcect that most of the young lads who were singing it either didnt understand why, or what it meant and were just repeating it to impress and fit in with the older lads. Which is something I confess to doing when I was also an ignorant teenager, repeating anti IRA chants. This thread did become interesting though when the history of the Eurovision contest came into play. Especially learning of Luxembourgs period of dominance. Fascinating stuff.

Xenophobic? Yes.

It's not called 'Nazi Bombers' is it.

Not racist, not the kind of thing the authorities should be got involved for, an embarrassment yes but by drunk stupid kids. Let's move on.

Heard the chants both on Wednesday and as I entered the ground on Saturday. Didnt find it racist, just confused as to why it was being sung. Not an excuse, but I expcect that most of the young lads who were singing it either didnt understand why, or what it meant and were just repeating it to impress and fit in with the older lads. Which is something I confess to doing when I was also an ignorant teenager, repeating anti IRA chants. This thread did become interesting though when the history of the Eurovision contest came into play. Especially learning of Luxembourgs period of dominance. Fascinating stuff.

Don't be to harsh on your self. By not surrendering to a terrorist organisation Ireland is now a much better place.

When they had invaded the Falklands in 1982 I remember a group of us shrimpers singing about bombing the Argies. Margret Thatcher obviously took note and did. Who would have thought that a song could change the course of history.

I find the following songs more offensive

"Oh I do like to be beside the seaside"
"Oh Southend pier, is longer than yours" Sung at other seaside towns
"Get in to them, **** them up".

All are just basically woeful songs.

Ireen Sheer Sang again in 78, finishing 6th , but this time for West Germany, then again for Luxemburg in 85 finishing 13th.

Apart from those of use who went to school with her brother , he real name was Wooldridge, I think she was unkown in the UK, the Germans, however loved her...

I had to find it, so here it is, the 1974 entry :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DFn32jz_Bs

Sung in French, even though she was from Basildon and the contest was in Brighton.

... and, of course, our very own Olivia Newton-John, singing our entry :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha75f7i0JMI

Back