• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just the one post eh? Ok I'll bite.

You are the racism police obviously. The racism police who want to stop those speaking out about the overwhelming 'one town at a time' invasion by foreigners. So you label an insignificant event like the German bomber song 'racist' to keep us quiet about the bigger issues. Well it isn't working anymore. The racist police will not shut me up. The racist police would seek to shut me up but you can't. My country is changing into something grotesque and if you want to call me racist then fine. I am a racist. Always remember that there are no sub definitions of racism. One word fits all and that word suppresses free speech. This way debate is avoided. Sing the German bomber singer as loud as you like and hit back at the racist police.

I actually reckon that if you were the target of a drone complete with stinger missile, even after a direct hit, you would be back posting within hours.

Why would anyone want to feel empathy towards Nazis?

Ask those posting on the Paris bombing thread....

No one has asked for anyone to feel empathy for Nazis , the context was in the difference between something being offsensive and being offended.

Jeez , its like trying to nail jelly to a wall on here at times.....

Ask those posting on the Paris bombing thread....

No one has asked for anyone to feel empathy for Nazis , the context was in the difference between something being offsensive and being offended.

Jeez , its like trying to nail jelly to a wall on here at times.....

If you try before it is dissolved and don't use too long a nail it is possible.

Yep agree -however Southend and the area was a secondary target to the docks and port of London on many occasions. Mind you there were troops stationed at Shoebury so they would have been a target also.

Does anyone remember the detonating of a found un-exploded mine off the seafront in the late 80's or early 90s? If made a right noise at about 4-5 in the morning.

Down my road as a kid there was an old WW2 Air Raid Siren which was tested every year for some reason.

In the late Sixties and throughout the Seventies, they used to test all the air raid sirens once a year, in case of another war. There was one in Chalkwell Park, right on the corner of the park at London Road and Chalkwell Avenue, that they used to test. Luckily, I could get into the control box, and would test it for them every now and again, Lol. Unfortunately, it was a deafening sound if you was near it, and some footballers chased me once, as they weren't too happy.

Ah the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest.

A travesty. Olivia Newton John's finest performance harshly voted into 4th place, behind the Dutch effort by Mouth & McNeil. Dreadful dirge that was!

Interestingly, the French weren't taking part that year, but Waterloo received Nul Points from Monaco! .. and us, ironically enough!

Technically , it was about the phrase "meeting ones Waterloo " as opposed to the actual battle.

In the late Sixties and throughout the Seventies, they used to test all the air raid sirens once a year, in case of another war. There was one in Chalkwell Park, right on the corner of the park at London Road and Chalkwell Avenue, that they used to test. Luckily, I could get into the control box, and would test it for them every now and again, Lol. Unfortunately, it was a deafening sound if you was near it, and some footballers chased me once, as they weren't too happy.

Blimey was it as long ago as the 70's! yeah they were deafening no excuse for not hearing that racket!

I suspect this post might be deleted as it has nothing to do with football.

If you think that Winston Churchill was a Conservative; that does not mean that the sailors in the Royal Navy, the soldiers in the British Army and the personnel in the R.A.F. were Conservatives as well, does it?

So, taking the above into account, can I point out that most of the German army, navy and air force were not Nazis?

Otherwise, I can't believe I have been so stupid as to have been drawn into this thread. :zip::peace:

Did'nt hear it. Have heard it before loads. As someone who lost a close relative in the war before I was born, it could never offend. Bit irrelevant on the day. We are football fans, we get drunk and boisterous. Some people need to get over themselves. I know what we should have been singing about though and definitely religionist !

It trivialises war and death. Neither of which are things to be singing songs about at a football match.

It doesn't offend me, not many things do. I just think less of the people who join in with it.

Very true, I do agree. However it definitely isn't racist as some posters want to suggest. The PC brigade are just desperate to be offended and find things offensive these days.

Bang on my town Wickford caught a few bombs from German planes im told by senior residents.Some people are far to easily offended these days

Its not there any more but back in the seventies when you were arriving at Wickford from Rayleigh on the train. You could see a propeller mounted in the middle of a field. My granddad told me the story of a German plane that crashed at that spot.

I think there is a memorial still round that area somewhere

lots of interesting stuff here.
http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?104481-Memorial-Wickford-Essex-Area-30-years-ago

also the remberance garden in memorial park has details on all of the civilians kiled in Wickford in both world wars

Personally , the act of remembrance of the fallen is to remember the sacrifice they made and to remind us of the tragic losses so that the mistakes made are not repeated . War is an evil thing , and , in my mind should not be celebrated or trivialised.

However, I can see that this is not the view of everyone , and that is up to them, but a bit of respect for others opinions would not go amiss (on this or the Paris thread to be honest).

I don't wnat to stoke the fire , but I am surprised that no one has mentioned that this was also sung on Wednesday by a fair bit )(ot all) of W block :blush:

So because you don't like this group your now going to throw the racism card at them. I loved the fact that when I arrived Saturday I could here signing and banging from outside the ground. Took me back a few years and long may it continue.

As for the song police who now think they have the right to speak on behalf of our veterans you don't so shut up. If your easily offended stay at home on a Saturday and dance round the lounge to your favourite Abba songs including Waterloo, you know the one that celebrates the defeat of Napoleon and the death of lot of Frenchmen.

What are your own qualifications for speaking up "on behalf of our veterans?" :unsure:

This is rubbish. The would drop bombs so the planes would be lighter and they might be able to get away faster.

Southend was very much a target during WW2.
My own mother was machine gunned on East Beach as a nine year old child in early 1940 by a Dornier, obviously she survived, as evidenced by my presence, but one of her friends did not....

Also don't forget that Southend was home to HMS Leigh, the land based East Coast Convoy Control, you'd know it as Southend Pier and Royal Terrace. One of the worst losses of life were in Campbell Road when bombs missed the Southend Telephone Exchange at 221A London Road/North Road nearby which was an attempt to cripple HMS Leigh's communications. Over 3,300 convoys comprising over 84,000 ship movements were controlled from HMS Leigh from 1939-45.

Further down the seafront, on Western Esplanade, was another encampment which, along with some of the Westcliff hotels, the Overcliff, Palmeira Towers, Grosvenor and Westward Ho!, was know, from early 1943 as HMS Westcliff. HMS Westcliff, with over 3000 members of the armed forces, became the Combined Services Control in the lead up to D-Day.

Along with the Ranges at Shoebury, RAF's Rochford and Bradwell, and the Combined Services at Goldhanger, South East Essex was far from a backwater.

Southend was deemed to be so important that for much of the war it was a 'closed town' which meant unless you were in a vital occupation or had a valid pass then you were not permitted to enter or live in the town; my grandfather as Southend Constabulary officer had, amongst other things, the job of checking that visitors had authority to be here.

So, Southend, although nowhere near as heavily targeted as London was it was not just an afterthought on the way home.

The song isn't racist. It just isn't.

It is massively outdated though. It reeks of lagered-up lads at England games deliberately trying to hark back to the good old days of hooligans and the Empire. It's horrifically clichéd.

The song isn't racist. It just isn't.

It is massively outdated though. It reeks of lagered-up lads at England games deliberately trying to hark back to the good old days of hooligans and the Empire. It's horrifically clichéd.

Spot on.

Next time lets roll out some Achtung! headlines from The Sun and scouse "wit" Stan Boardman who can harp on about how German's bombed his chippy.

Technically , it was about the phrase "meeting ones Waterloo " as opposed to the actual battle.

Indeed and it was a pretty catchy tune, which is probably why it won.

There were a lot of ballads that year, with the Italian "Si" finishing second.

As everyone will recall, it was held in Brighton, after we romped to 3rd place the year before with Cliff's "Power to all our friends"

Luxembourg had won it for the previous 25 years and felt they couldn't afford to host it again, so we agreed to step in, thanks to a vigorous campaign by Katie Boyle and Ronnie Hazelhurst.

We almost lost out to Germany in the bidding process, but thanks to our offer of The Wombles doing the interval entertainment, we received the vote from FIFA :cool:

The rest, as they say, is history.

I heard a story once that HMS Leigh was Lord Haw-Haws downfall, In his early broadcasts the War office were unsure if he was actually being fed information or was just making it up, then one day he announced the sinking of HMS Leigh , from then on all knew it was just bluff.

Back