• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Great performance, full marks to Phil Brown today. Brave team selection and subs but they all worked perfectly and he deserves all the credit for that. Superb counter attacking football for first, second and third goals and we could have kept playing until next weekend and I don't think they would have scored. Payne was superb but unfortunately the only real option after Deegan's stupid sending off. Barnett also superb, although hard to criticise anyone other than Deegan after that.

Bentley 8 Some good first half and second half saves but was well protected by his defence
O'Neill 8.5 Quality performance, a great last ditch tackle saved us at 1-0 up and was quality throughout.
Bolger 8 Solid and won a lot in the air, distribution could have been better at times
Barrett 7.5 Led the back line well and a great sweeper.
Thompson 8.5 Threw himself in the way of everything and justified retaining his place after the few poor performances
Hendrie 7 Did well for the second goal and looked solid and dependable throughout
Atkinson 8 Worked hard as always and his pressuring was superb, can count himself lucky he drew the foul for the pen as he could have shot on a few occasions
Deegan 6 Marshalled their attacking midfielders well, stupid yellow and stupid second yellow and doesn't help himself in those situations by getting in the refs ear
Leonard 7.5 Controlled the midfield and key in the transition when it was on the deck
Payne 9 Great performance, they couldn't handle him at all and he is the best creative player we've got. Unfortunate to go off but the right choice.
Barnett 8.5 Took his chances very well and a great penalty, lots of what we have been missing out on

Subs
Timlin 8 Shored things up in midfield and calmed things down, great leadership and showed why he should replace Deegan next week
Hunt 7 Chased what he could
McQueen 7 As above, not a lot of time

Well done to Phil and a great performance to get some positivity back!

Last edited:
Great result, I do wonder if Armstrong and Murphy not playing helped us. They have been in amazing form.

Barnett sounds like he's settling in well and Payne is on fire. Get them both signed on long contracts.

I remember when Brown first started, there were some Preston fans who said they had been impressed with PB when they were doing well, but that once they went on a bad run he just couldn't cope.

This bad spell has shown that we can have a blip and PB is able to get results back! Very impressed with the turn around in form, and if he needed to upset a few people in the process than that's fine by me.

Also 8 points out of Coventry and Peterborough this season is pretty good going!!

I remember when Brown first started, there were some Preston fans who said they had been impressed with PB when they were doing well, but that once they went on a bad run he just couldn't cope.

This bad spell has shown that we can have a blip and PB is able to get results back! Very impressed with the turn around in form, and if he needed to upset a few people in the process than that's fine by me.

Also 8 points out of Coventry and Peterborough this season is pretty good going!!

Funny you say that, I'm reading Clarke Carlisle's book at the moment. He signed on loan for PB at Preston said he was massively impressed and wanted to play for him. But he was really surprised he went as they didn't give him a chance to sort it. Said Brian Horton was a bit of a knob though.

We've now taken 4 points off the 5th placed team in the Division, can't be bad can it? No doubt the sending off will feature heavily on here, but Barnett getting two and the little man getting another should feature more prominently I think. Great result from all the team and the subs today, and well done Phil for setting it up right even if your starting eleven was completely rubbish for a home game:winking:

There was many stand out performances today all across the park, but although Dan didnt have much to do, I think when he needed to, he was bang on form.

After the Swindon game I was concerned that Brown may struggle to turn round what looked to be a complete collapse in form. To be fair, 2 games, 4 points and 2 clean sheets against 2 of the better sides in the division shows he's done exactly that.

Pretty disturbing afternoon.:winking: Just when you had settled down to the idea of nicely boring mid-table conformity.......this happens! Not just the result but above all the performance. Starts that wonderful temptation to dream again but don't get too excited Yogi, this is SZ and we're sure to screw it up again, probably against the Ewes.
Looks as though PB has made two cracking signings with Hendrie and Barnett and I'm drooling to think what McQueen and Kamara can produce.

Match report: Southend United 3, Coventry City 0

TYRONE Barnett bagged a brace as Southend United surged to a 3-0 win against Coventry City at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Just heard Phil's post match interview on BBC Essex.

I must admit, love him or loathe him, he does say it as it is.

Also interesting to hear that comment about Ron and the purse strings, and he is hoping to possibly bring in 1 or 2 more players.

In summary...What a day!!...

3-0 Win against Coventry

3-0 loss to Colchester (and 7 points + a massive goal difference from relegation safety)

Ron is dusting off his mothballed wallet

We are 2 points outside the division one play offs

To be fair, I've had worse days!! :smile:

UTB
:happy:

Very well played everyone.
Stupid red card, ref so obviously wanted to send him off. I said Phil should sub him at half time.
Thompson played brilliant too. Hard to pick a man of the match but Barrett just for scoring twice and doing the donkey work up top too

Well played lads
Great game
Coventry were poor
Er thought Jack was excellent

Missed this one but heard the commentary. Sounded like a very competent and promising performance. Team selection appears to have worked and the players have clearly responded positively. UTB

Back