• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Doesnt seem to have stopped eddie howe from going practically from the basement to the top. Of course having major backing does help , but tactics and team motivation are in you or they are not.

Posh have always had Barry fry as director of football for such things] and let the manager get on with just managing the club.

Until they sacked him yesterday.

Great so Ron forces PB to stay and he just runs the club into the ground in order to get the sack and move away free from any contractual obligations.

If he doesnt want to be here then just let him go. Or tell Bolton they will have to stump up say 50-100k compensation.

Then get Chris powell in and let us build a tight nit squad for next season.

I agree that the situation is far from ideal, but it's not of Ron's making and he has to deal with what's in front of him.

Trust me, I get as annoyed as anyone about the recent performances, but the reality is that PB has a contract and if he breaks it we are entitled to compensation. Whether that goes on new players or keeping the club afloat, that will be Ron's no 1 priority right now.

I'm no fan of Ron, but on this occasion he's done a deal where the club MIGHT actually make some money - and get rid of PB into the bargain.

Doesnt seem to have stopped eddie howe from going practically from the basement to the top. Of course having major backing does help , but tactics and team motivation are in you or they are not.

Posh have always had Barry fry as director of football for such things and let the manager get on wth just managing the club.
But have a chairman who is always taking to twitter to slate the players or their performances!

I agree that the situation is far from ideal, but it's not of Ron's making and he has to deal with what's in front of him.

Trust me, I get as annoyed as anyone about the recent performances, but the reality is that PB has a contract and if he breaks it we are entitled to compensation. Whether that goes on new players or keeping the club afloat, that will be Ron's no 1 priority right now.

I'm no fan of Ron, but on this occasion he's done a deal where the club MIGHT actually make some money - and get rid of PB into the bargain.

We will be due financial compensation should both payne and bentley leave. how much is anyones guess , but i would imagine anywhere between 250k-1million for both. That will help with running costs.

We need a manager who wants to be at the club. Unlike a singular player who can be replaced etc a manager is a totally different kettle of fish.

If Ron stands firm and we get compensation for Brown i will be delighted , but if he stands firm and we end up with brown as manager next term then we could find ourselves struggling and crowds dipping which will negate any compensation anyway.

Tough one for Ron to deal with. Me personally after all that has been said and the performances would let PB walk for free.

We will be due financial compensation should both payne and bentley leave. how much is anyones guess , but i would imagine anywhere between 250k-1million for both. That will help with running costs.

We need a manager who wants to be at the club. Unlike a singular player who can be replaced etc a manager is a totally different kettle of fish.

If Ron stands firm and we get compensation for Brown i will be delighted , but if he stands firm and we end up with brown as manager next term then we could find ourselves struggling and crowds dipping which will negate any compensation anyway.

Tough one for Ron to deal with. Me personally after all that has been said and the performances would let PB walk for free.

And I would imagine that this is the most likely outcome whether Ron likes it or not !

I think it's extremely unlikely we'd get Cowley, he's a full time teacher at FitzWimarc and has been there for over 10 years, if Braintree got promoted it wouldn't surprise me if he resigned. There's not much point in throwing away a good job to gamble on becoming a manager, if he failed he'd probably not get another managerial role.

Can anyone actually translate what was said on the radio as i am at work and it wont play for some reason.

Thanks

No problem, here goes :

Nick Alliker : Well, a terrible defeat for The Blluuueeess today and I have Southend's manager, Phil Brown, alongside me. Phil, you must be very disappointed?
Phil Brown : Aye, I am.
NA : What went wrong?
PB : Well, like, they are a top team and pulverized us into the dirt. We lost all 10 outfield battles.
NA : Why was that?
PB : I don't know, man. I told them what to do and they didn't carry out my instructions at all.
NA : ... and what about poor Ted Smith?
PB : Aye, I feel sorry for the lad. I stuck him in, hoping for an easy game and this lot just wouldn't stop shooting at him. Bullying that is. I told their manager so and the referee, but they wouldn't listen.
NA : You rested Dan Bentley ........

* phone rings *

PB : Can I just get this?
NA : OK, no problem

PB : Hello.
DH : .....
PB : Aye, hi Dean, I mean, er , Don
DH : ....
PB : Yes, I'm OK for tonight
PB : No, we lost 4-1
PB : Aye, yep I left them both on the bench like you suggested
PB : Yep, they'll be coming along tonight, too
PB : I haven't forgotten that Ken is taking us all to Trotters nightclub
PB : Yes, I know he's small, but he's brought his ID with him
PB : Yep, see you later

PB : Sorry about that, just Don Handsworth wanting me to meet up with a player I might be interested in called Ken Anderton. Plays for Leigh RMI. Anyway, where were we?
NA : A lot of supporters are worried about rumours involving your potential move to Bolton?
PB : Well, let me tell them straight that we always use the Whites Hotel before all our Northern matches. It's working a treat. We stayed there before today's match, Blackpool, Rochdale, Port Vale, Bradford and even Morecambe last season. It galvanizes the players.
NA : But, we lost all those matches.
PB : Er, have you got any more questions? I'm a busy man, me. Channel 5 want me to ramble on about Oldham v Crewe.
NA : Yes, what do you say to the fans who travelled today?
PB : Well, I'd like to buy them all a pint.
NA : All 597 of them?
PB : Blimey, was it that many? .. OK, let's say a half each and cokes for the kids, eh!
NA : A kind gesture, Phil
PB : Well, I'm all heart me. I'll even sing to them if they like.
NA : I don't think there's any need for that. Thanks again Phil and one last question. Do you intend to make changes for the final two matches?
PB : Well, man, I've been in football all me life and I can't stand slackers, show boaters, loan players with an attitude problem, people who disagree with me, players who won't shake my hand when I substitute them, players who feign an injury when I drop them, those who won't sign a contract and that bloke from Ipswich whose name I cannae pronounce.
NA : That's a long list, Phil.
PB : Aye, as a result, I've asked if Bradford would be happy with a six-a-side game next week.

* phone rings again *

PB : Gotta dash, It's Brian Horton. He says I've got the keys to the changing room. I'd forgotten I'd locked them all in there again!

No problem, here goes :

Nick Alliker : Well, a terrible defeat for The Blluuueeess today and I have Southend's manager, Phil Brown, alongside me. Phil, you must be very disappointed?
Phil Brown : Aye, I am.
NA : What went wrong?
PB : Well, like, they are a top team and pulverized us into the dirt. We lost all 10 outfield battles.
NA : Why was that?
PB : I don't know, man. I told them what to do and they didn't carry out my instructions at all.
NA : ... and what about poor Ted Smith?
PB : Aye, I feel sorry for the lad. I stuck him in, hoping for an easy game and this lot just wouldn't stop shooting at him. Bullying that is. I told their manager so and the referee, but they wouldn't listen.
NA : You rested Dan Bentley ........

* phone rings *

PB : Can I just get this?
NA : OK, no problem

PB : Hello.
DH : .....
PB : Aye, hi Dean, I mean, er , Don
PB : Yes, I'm OK for tonight
PB : No, we lost 4-1
PB : Aye, yep I left them both on the bench like you suggested
PB : Yep, they'll be coming along tonight, too
PB : I haven't forgotten that Ken is taking us all to Trotters nightclub
PB : Yes, I know he's small, but his brought his ID with him
PB : Yep, see you later

PB : Sorry about that, just Don Handsworth wanting me to meet up with a player I might be interested in called Ken Anderton. Plays for Leigh RMI. Anyway, where were we?
NA : A lot of supporters are worried about rumours involving your potential move to Bolton?
PB : Well, let me tell them straight that we always use the Whites Hotel before all our Northern matches. It's working a treat. We stayed there before today's match, Blackpool, Rochdale, Port Vale, Bradford and even Morecambe last season. It galvanizes the players.
NA : But, we lost all those matches.
PB : Er, have you got any more questions. I'm a busy man. Channel 5 want me to ramble on about Oldham v Crewe.
NA : Yes, what do you say to the fans who travelled today?
PB : Well, I'd like to buy them all a pint.
NA : all 597 of them.
PB : Blimey, was it that many? .. OK, let's say a half each and cokes for the kids, eh!
NA : A kind gesture, Phil
PB : Well, I'm all heart me. I'll even sing to them if they like.
NA : I don't think there's any need for that. Thanks again Phil and one last question. Do you intend to make changes fo the final two matches?
PB : Well, man, I've been in football all me life and I can't stand slackers, show boaters, loan players with an attitude problem, people who disagree with me, players who won't shake my hand when I substitute them, players who feign an injury when I drop them, those who won't sign a contract and that bloke from Ipswich whose name I cannae pronounce.
NA : That's a long list, Phil.
PB : Aye, as a result, I've asked if Bradford would be happy with a six-a-side game next week.

* phone rings again *

PB : Gotta dash, It's Brian Horton. He says I've got the keys to the changing room. I'd forgotten I'd locked the all in there again!

Quality stuff.....

By the way, on the question of a possible successor to Phil Brown, Danny Crowley should also be considered. He has done a fantastic job to take Braintree to the verge of the play-offs on a very small budget, and must be one of the most promising young managers in the non-league scene.

Fine if you want to give the players detention, but if you want players who are better than we have then he would be totally the wrong choice. If you want to change managers then we might as well look like we want to be taken seriously in L1 rather than look like we are planning for L2.

As DTS says its about contacts. Its also about the players having some respect for a new manager walking through the door.

Fine if you want to give the players detention, but if you want players who are better than we have then he would be totally the wrong choice. If you want to change managers then we might as well look like we want to be taken seriously in L1 rather than look like we are planning for L2.

As DTS says its about contacts. Its also about the players having some respect for a new manager walking through the door.

Arsene wenger never played football at any kind of level and has had a great management career

Jose mourinho never played at a high level and has had a great management career

If your a good manager then your a good manager end of. Contacts can be made and if you are doing well then you build your own career.

So if someone comes in for Bentley who he wants to go to and they offer £50k we should accept it and forget about playing awkward buggers and if necessary using the tribunal process?? No, of course not- and so Ron is absolutely correct that having agreed a new long term deal with PB including a compensation clause so recently any suitor needs to pay.

I can't pretend to know the reality of the situation- suspect Bolton want to approach PB but Ron has said go away more than once, then not unless you agree to pay the compensation first (quite right as to allow contact without this agreed first is pointless and counter productive). Hence, still no 'formal' approach and Bolton have a 'winner' from their shortlist ready. Either they will shortly give up on being able to talk to PB or give in on the compensation. Meanwhile I am sure their shortlist 'winner' will also be talking to other clubs so in the end we are moving rapidly down a narrowing funnel to a pinch point in the next couple of weeks I suspect.

If Bolton don't come up with the money and appoint someone else then Ron will tell PB to pull himself together and get on with delivering (to me the worst scenario is that a good manager stays- ultimately he is ambitious and the last thing he will do is tarnish his rebuilt reputation- he needs to be seen to be a winner to get his ultimate ambition).

The other scenario is we get a pretty big wedge, probably same re Bentley, probably keep Jack and get Chris Powell on board.
The reason I think Ron will want CP is that
- he has connections with the club (many times Ron has gone back to former club stalwarts e.g. Maher, Barrett, Prior...)
- has successful experience in L1 and Championship
- like PB is bit of a name and a popular ex-England player (profile)
- CP is very much more likely to buy into the long term commitment to the club that Ron wants
- CP's brand of football will be more in keeping with want our highly sophisticated and knowledgeable band of supporters will expect and demand..

So if someone comes in for Bentley who he wants to go to and they offer £50k we should accept it and forget about playing awkward buggers and if necessary using the tribunal process?? No, of course not- and so Ron is absolutely correct that having agreed a new long term deal with PB including a compensation clause so recently any suitor needs to pay.

No because we have already turned down 1million and will get more at tribunal. We also have a sub keeper who played yesterday and if needed paul smith.

The last time i checked we dont have a sub manager, and graham coughlan is not a sub manager , but a managers assistant,

Arsene wenger never played football at any kind of level and has had a great management career

Jose mourinho never played at a high level and has had a great management career

If your a good manager then your a good manager end of. Contacts can be made and if you are doing well then you build your own career.

All Dan Cowley has to do is head to Barcelona and work under Bobby Robson then Luis Van Gaal. Manage Benfica followed by Porto. Win the UEFA cup then the Champions League and the players will greatly respect him.

Perhaps we have been punching above our weight this year, you can only work with what you have for the most part. It does seem from a far, that a lot here seem to have rather too much expectation and more to the point read way too much in to random or off hand statements, like Bolton love him to fit their point of view. For those old enough, would you like to go back to the 70's and 80's way the club was run?

I don't think Brown is our number 1 target.

Let me know if anything changes tomorrow Gaz, as I'm fitting a new TV on the wall for PB. Would hate to drill holes and heave the thing up high only to find I have to put it back in the box in the afternoon.

The reason I think Ron will want CP is that
- he has connections with the club (many times Ron has gone back to former club stalwarts e.g. Maher, Barrett, Prior...)
- has successful experience in L1 and Championship
- like PB is bit of a name and a popular ex-England player (profile)
- CP is very much more likely to buy into the long term commitment to the club that Ron wants
- CP's brand of football will be more in keeping with want our highly sophisticated and knowledgeable band of supporters will expect and demand..

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Even Bolton fans are lamenting how appallingly bad our form has been since Lennon left the Macron...embarrassing...

Since Lennon went Southend have played 14, lost 8, drawn 3, won 3 - in other words, 12pts from 14. Up to that point they'd got 36pts from 30 games and were 7th, while Oldham (a month into John Sheridan's reign) were second-bottom on 22pts. There's now a possibility Oldham will bypass Southend - they're five points behind (17th to Southend's 13th) with two games left.

In the period since we sacked Lennon, Southend have the sixth-worst form in League One, Oldham have the fifth-best, Rochdale the third-best. Since Sheridan has been at Oldham they have the seventh-best record.

Even Bolton fans are lamenting how appallingly bad our form has been since Lennon left the Macron...embarrassing...

Since Lennon went Southend have played 14, lost 8, drawn 3, won 3 - in other words, 12pts from 14. Up to that point they'd got 36pts from 30 games and were 7th, while Oldham (a month into John Sheridan's reign) were second-bottom on 22pts. There's now a possibility Oldham will bypass Southend - they're five points behind (17th to Southend's 13th) with two games left.

In the period since we sacked Lennon, Southend have the sixth-worst form in League One, Oldham have the fifth-best, Rochdale the third-best. Since Sheridan has been at Oldham they have the seventh-best record.

Who posted all those stats on their forum, mrswhite

Back