• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Interesting. Double figure likes doesn't make Silent Shrimper right, but it does mean that quite a few posters agree with the sentiment in his post. I'm not sure how you think that the post implies it's the same people posting but it's all about opinions I guess.
Because different people have different opinions, so of course people are saying what is being said. Some people will think brown rates him some won't, not sure why that is a surprise to anyone. It's only a surprise if it's the same people effectively changing their mind- that's my point.. Some people take the same facts and draw completely different conclusions, again nothing new.

Had the Sheffield United game not been televised, Jack stays and this debate doesn't happen.

However, it was televised, and as a result his agent is cashing in on that and we inevitably move on. Let's hope for a nice tribunal fee with BIG add on's / % of future sale. Now we can look to the future and the excitement of player recruitment.

You'd hope that Dan and Jack combined will fetch somewhere in the region of £1.5m+. Maybe we'll be able to revise our wage budget with this in mind.

These are the realities of lower league football, people. Stop getting caught up in silly stats about what he did and didn't play! ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the Sheffield United game not been televised, Jack stays and this debate doesn't happen.

However, it was televised, and as a result his agent is cashing in on that and we inevitably move on. Let's hope for a nice tribunal fee with BIG add on's / % of future sale. Now we can look to the future and the excitement of player recruitment.

You'd hope that Dan and Jack combined will fetch somewhere in the region of £1.5m+. Maybe we'll be able to revise our wage budget with this in mind.

These are the realities of lower league football, people. Stop getting caught up in silly stats about what he did and didn't play! 

you just can't alter the wage budget when you feel like it, dosnt it still go by the amount of fans that come through the turnstiles etc ?

you just can't alter the wage budget when you feel like it, dosnt it still go by the amount of fans that come through the turnstiles etc ?

It never did. It's a percentage of turnover. If our turnover goes up, our budget goes up. The question is what year's turnover is used to derive next season's budget?

We don't have an issue with budget. There are bigger clubs in this league who will have bigger budgets. But for the size of our club, we do OK and don't run a particularly tight ship - we ran one of the largest squads in the league this season. Equally budget is not the be all and end all. If it was, Leicester would not have won the premier league, Burnley the championship, Burton wouldn't have gone up and Accrington wouldn't have finished 4th. And then there's Braintree.

We don't have an issue with budget. There are bigger clubs in this league who will have bigger budgets. But for the size of our club, we do OK and don't run a particularly tight ship - we ran one of the largest squads in the league this season. Equally budget is not the be all and end all. If it was, Leicester would not have won the premier league, Burnley the championship, Burton wouldn't have gone up and Accrington wouldn't have finished 4th. And then there's Braintree.

There are always exceptions, but for the most part a bigger budget equals success.

There are always exceptions, but for the most part a bigger budget equals success.

At our level of the game I really don't think it does. It probably stops you slipping further but if you've got desires on moving upwards a close knit dressing room, a good man manager, and a proper organised way of playing seems to serve teams far better.

I agree. There wasn't masses of changes in the squad that took us from League Two to the Championship, team spirit got us there.

The problem with using the compensation payments from Dan and Jack, and pumping it into our playing budget is when that one time injection of funds runs out we're left with a budget that's unobtainable. What we don't need to do is invite the club into a worse financial position...

Take the money, keep it on our balance sheet, keep the budget as it is, just offload the surplus and try to find the right players as rlb999 said, like the Accrington's, Burton's, Leicester's etc...

Last edited:
At our level of the game I really don't think it does. It probably stops you slipping further but if you've got desires on moving upwards a close knit dressing room, a good man manager, and a proper organised way of playing seems to serve teams far better.

It does at all levels, according to research anyway. But what would they know...

These are the realities of lower league football, people. Stop getting caught up in silly stats about what he did and didn't play! 

Totally Agree ... no-one had heard of Jack Payne outside of South Essex before the Sheff United game

Sadly Players never show any loyalty to Southend United FC .... and 90% move on to their dream club.... blah blah blah and then disappear from the game within a few years and start playing Non-league football

From a Huddersfield rag ;

New Huddersfield Town chief executive Julian Winter and football operations chief Stuart Webber will have key roles if the club are to land Southend United midfielder Jack Payne – and do it within budget.
Even though the 21-year-old Londoner is out of contract, the League I side will be due a fee because of Payne’s age and the fact that he has been offered a new deal (no agreement could be reached).

Should a club signing Payne be unable to agree compensation, the matter would go to tribunal, as happened when Town signed former England Uner 19 midfielder Oscar Gobern from Southampton in 2011, when he was 20 and out of contract.
That fee was set at £275,000, rising to £400,000 on appearances.
Southend academy product Payne has made 88 appearances for Southend, scoring 17 goals, and has also been linked with Ipswich Town and Wolves as well as Dutch side Sparta Rotterdam.

Totally Agree ... no-one had heard of Jack Payne outside of South Essex before the Sheff United game

Sadly Players never show any loyalty to Southend United FC .... and 90% move on to their dream club.... blah blah blah and then disappear from the game within a few years and start playing Non-league football

Yes they had. Maybe not the public, but I'm 100% sure that he was well known and well thought of within football. It's a very small world, and everyone knows what's going on.

Loyalty works both ways. Ask Kevan Hurst.

in fairness on most threads there are two opposing views. Your post makes it sound as though it's the same people posting. I can't be arsed to check but I bet it different people in which case your point doesn't really make sense despite all the "likes". If it is the same people then I apologise, but I bet it's not

First of all, thanks to everyone for the 'likes' - it has restored some of my faith in SZ (I'm an old poster returning).
I'm not sure if it was the same people making contradictory comments either and as RHB said it doesn't really matter.
The point I was trying to make is that so many of the comments on here about our club (not just PB) are often little more than conjecture and conspiracy theories, they are usually negative and often contradictory. I think the truth is often much more mundane.
One of the things I've noticed over the last year just observing rather than posting is that the most negative posters often have the most to say. Opinion polls on here often give a completely different and more positive view of how the majority feel. The recent poll on rating our season is a classic example of that - most scores were 6 or 7 out of 10, yet the recent general feel of the zone would give a neutral visitor the impression the season had been an unremitting disaster.
I think some people need to recognise that we support an imperfect club run and managed by imperfect people in an imperfect world and hard as it is to accept our fanbase size means that midtable league one is about where we should be.

First of all, thanks to everyone for the 'likes' - it has restored some of my faith in SZ (I'm an old poster returning).
I'm not sure if it was the same people making contradictory comments either and as RHB said it doesn't really matter.
The point I was trying to make is that so many of the comments on here about our club (not just PB) are often little more than conjecture and conspiracy theories, they are usually negative and often contradictory. I think the truth is often much more mundane.
One of the things I've noticed over the last year just observing rather than posting is that the most negative posters often have the most to say. Opinion polls on here often give a completely different and more positive view of how the majority feel. The recent poll on rating our season is a classic example of that - most scores were 6 or 7 out of 10, yet the recent general feel of the zone would give a neutral visitor the impression the season had been an unremitting disaster.
I think some people need to recognise that we support an imperfect club run and managed by imperfect people in an imperfect world and hard as it is to accept our fanbase size means that midtable league one is about where we should be.

Brilliant post........

Jack's stats this season.

Maximum games available 51...Jack featured in 35
Maximum minutes available 4590...Jack played 2572
90 minutes games Jack had just 19

His 35 appearances had maximum playing time of 3155 minutes..Jack played 2572.

No wonder he is off.

Going back he looks to have started pretty much every game since November, only 3 times on the bench in all that time in about 28 games, and came on for two of those.

Hardly grounds for wanting to leave or that Brown hasnt given him a chance or rated him as others have said.

At the start of the season he was hit and miss and wasnt having an impact in games but he grew into the season and has been pretty much ever present since then.

Last edited:
Jack's stats this season.

Maximum games available 51...Jack featured in 35
Maximum minutes available 4590...Jack played 2572
90 minutes games Jack had just 19

His 35 appearances had maximum playing time of 3155 minutes..Jack played 2572.

No wonder he is off.

Fingers crossed you will join him at the new Club !

Loyalty works both ways. Ask Kevan Hurst.

So we should carry on paying a player that is unlikely to play should we?

Loyalty was offering Corr another contract despite still being injured and not playing for a season. Releasing a player at the end of his contract who has barely featured and isn't in the managers plans is absolutely fair enough.

We've got every right to question Payne's loyalty. All of the time, effort and money that went into his development from a young age and he jumps ship after half a good season and leaves us with a completely inadequate tribunal fee. If he was seeking a move after being told by Brown that he doesn't see him in his plans or sees him as a bit part player, we'd all be wishing him luck.

Back