• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wow there are some strong words on here, real hatred! I really don't mind that much about him leaving. It's part and parcel of football. A better job for more money is no brainer unfortunately. Also the whole point about Bentley giving more than Payne, and so Bentley is allowed to go with our blessing, is a bit wide of the mark for me. Payne also played a part in our promotion last season, scoring 8 goals if memory serves me correctly. So he definitely played his part, like Bentley, in our promotion and therefore has my gratitude. Ofcourse, no one wants to see their best players go but when your a lower league club, its expected. The only thing i think we can be bitter about is the lack of any big fee. The club are to blame more than anyone for this. If his talent was that obvious from a young age why didn't they whack him on a long contract. Even last season, he should have been given a three year deal, instead of that tinpot year extention.

Careful fella - you'll have Beefy writing derogatory comments about you.

Huddersfield are tin pot compared to Southend United. How many JPT finals have they been involved in over the years?
Only 1, in 1994.

Only Carlisle (6) and Bristol City (5) have been to more finals than us, and Brentford are level on three. At least Carlisle won it once and Bristol City won it twice.

I get fed up not wanting former favourites to succeed. Fair enough jack could have stayed on for another season, but had he not shown huge improvement from about October we probably wouldn't have been too worried about the 7th on the release list. I'll wish him well, and will remember that fees dictated by tribunals normally benefit clubs if the players go on to succeed.

The guide lines are £70,000 for each year we have had the player. Jack has been with us around 7 years I think, so that means in excess of £400,000.

Are those guidelines available to read online? Would love to see how much we could get as a rough figure.

Are those guidelines available to read online? Would love to see how much we could get as a rough figure.

Don't know if they are on line but that's what clubs have been told. I presume that if we had a cat 2 status academy then we would get more per year.

Ive said all im going to say on this subject. SUFC are my team my club ,i am 70 years old come October 4th,back in 1962-63 i played for SUFC youth team,in all my life their has only been one club for me and thats Southend, i was born and raised their educated their , If a player is not happy playing for my club then as far as im concerned he can f**k off.But if he puts in his time as Bentley has done then i will wish him well and every success in the future.

Ive said all im going to say on this subject. SUFC are my team my club ,i am 70 years old come October 4th,back in 1962-63 i played for SUFC youth team,in all my life their has only been one club for me and thats Southend, i was born and raised their educated their , If a player is not happy playing for my club then as far as im concerned he can f**k off.But if he puts in his time as Bentley has done then i will wish him well and every success in the future.

So you hadn't said all you was going to say on the subject?

If rigsbys guidelines turn out to be about right then I wouldn't mind jack leaving at all. Would be a decent amount for a player with a lot to prove still. Not that we will ever find out the amount we actually receive.

...and what will we do with the money ? spend it on wages for more players that are at the end of their career ? Or do we use it to sign a young, exciting midfielder that likes running at defences from another club's youth team ? Hold on a minute, didn't we have one of those in the first place ?

The money will just disappear in Ron's 'warchest' anyway and we would still be losing the same amount of money each season going by accounts.

...and what will we do with the money ? spend it on wages for more players that are at the end of their career ? Or do we use it to sign a young, exciting midfielder that likes running at defences from another club's youth team ? Hold on a minute, didn't we have one of those in the first place ?

I would rather we signed someone that is capable of running at League One defences and not just youth team defences.

:smile:

Anyway some would say we still have one of those at the club, in Jack Bridge.

The money will just disappear in Ron's 'warchest' anyway and we would still be losing the same amount of money each season going by accounts.

Ron gave PB a sizeable amount of money last season for wages and signings, just maybe any profits from tribunals might mean he doesn't have to this year.

We will find out, the decisions are public AFAIK.

Don't know if they are on line but that's what clubs have been told. I presume that if we had a cat 2 status academy then we would get more per year.

That £70,000 fgure sounds very high
I can't find anything recent on this so the figures may have changed , but this is the most detailed document I could find , with no mention of £70,000 (both links have the same figures)
http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/the-eppp-and-why-youth-development-matters
https://tomkinstimes.com/2014/07/strengthening-the-strong-weakening-the-weak/

The figures are made public , so we should know, but having said that can anyone find any examples over the last year for any other teams?

I would imagine Huddersfield will make an offer which will be accepted and then be defined as an undisclosed fee which will be debated on here for a millenium.

Huddersfield will bid a stupidly low amount which we will reject. Then we'll argue for abit a sum won't be agreed and it will go to tribunal which the Dan Bentley transfer will then mirror.

Huddersfield do seem the favourites to sign him, and certain phrases here support what I am thinking, that this probable move is not entirely money-related ;

Huddersfield Town are set to win the race for Southend starlet, Jack Payne who is available on a free contract when the summer transfer window opens, according to HITC Sport.
The inevitable departure of Jack Payne has been excruciating for Southend United after the starlet failed to sign a new contract at the League One club.
Jack Payne has been attracting attention from a long list of Championship sides and even Dutch side, Sparta Rotterdam, however, Payne has outlined his intent to stay in England.

Since then Huddersfield has been quick to show their interest in the midfielder and it appears that the West Yorkshire side is set to win the race for his signature.
With Huddersfield having a growing reputation for picking up talent from the lower leagues and giving them the opportunity to thrive, Jack Payne will have comfort that he won’t be marooned on the bench with little playing time or regular first team football.
Also with the new lease of life since the arrival of David Wagner, it seems that the West Yorkshire club has the manager and ambition to do more than settle for survival or for mid-table mediocrity.
A number of Championship sides will be envious of some of the bright young talents that Huddersfield already have in the ranks, and it is an exciting time for Huddersfield fans to watch these bright young talents develop together.

That £70,000 fgure sounds very high
I can't find anything recent on this so the figures may have changed , but this is the most detailed document I could find , with no mention of £70,000 (both links have the same figures)
http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/the-eppp-and-why-youth-development-matters
https://tomkinstimes.com/2014/07/strengthening-the-strong-weakening-the-weak/

The figures are made public , so we should know, but having said that can anyone find any examples over the last year for any other teams?

The above links relate to when youth players move from one category to another. Not when a senior player under 24 moves between clubs.

The above links relate to when youth players move from one category to another. Not when a senior player under 24 moves between clubs.

I don't think there's any set guidelines (like £70k per year). It is based on the individual player, the contract he was on, what he is offered and a load of other factors.

Here's a decent article from last summer which gives some details:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/10/transfer-tribunal-danny-ings-liverpool-burnley

Careful fella - you'll have Beefy writing derogatory comments about you.

Wow, I'm flattered to be name checked.

No chance of seeing my ire - I agree with Blues4LifeDan. I've no issue with either Jack Payne or Dan Bentley going to pastures new at the end of their contract. I understand why people are more angry at Payne as Bentley effectively told the Club a year ago that he wasn't staying and SUFC chose not to sell him but fixed contracts are part of football and I'd never criticise any player for honouring theirs and then leaving.

Huddersfield do seem the favourites to sign him, and certain phrases here support what I am thinking, that this probable move is not entirely money-related ;

Huddersfield Town are set to win the race for Southend starlet, Jack Payne who is available on a free contract when the summer transfer window opens, according to HITC Sport.
The inevitable departure of Jack Payne has been excruciating for Southend United after the starlet failed to sign a new contract at the League One club.
Jack Payne has been attracting attention from a long list of Championship sides and even Dutch side, Sparta Rotterdam, however, Payne has outlined his intent to stay in England.

Since then Huddersfield has been quick to show their interest in the midfielder and it appears that the West Yorkshire side is set to win the race for his signature.
With Huddersfield having a growing reputation for picking up talent from the lower leagues and giving them the opportunity to thrive, Jack Payne will have comfort that he won’t be marooned on the bench with little playing time or regular first team football.
Also with the new lease of life since the arrival of David Wagner, it seems that the West Yorkshire club has the manager and ambition to do more than settle for survival or for mid-table mediocrity.
A number of Championship sides will be envious of some of the bright young talents that Huddersfield already have in the ranks, and it is an exciting time for Huddersfield fans to watch these bright young talents develop together.

Hmm, well recent season finishes of 19th, 16th, 17th and 19th in the Championship just might suggest these lower league talents haven't exactly been thriving too well......

Back