• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worrall to leave Blues after rejecting contract offer

Apart from Brown's strange comments in the Echo about Worrall after the Bury game. I notice you ignore his falling out with Prosser and Bolger, again very public and not slow to criticise them. How about his public blaming of White after one game? I don't have a signed confession from PB, like everyone I have to consider the circumstantial evidence, and there is a lot of it to consider.

Also, the fact he can't persuade Bentley or Payne that their best interests are served by giving us another season I find worrying.

His tactics are mystifying, and again I don't think I'm being unobjective in criticising them. In the Chesterfield game, he started with some width (Worrall), and we looked threatening and were playing well. then Worrall was injured and despite having a winger on the bench PB went back to his usual narrow system, and we looked lost.

Finally, we have just had the worst EVER end to a season, and I am being asked to "consider the big picture" and accept a mid table finish as all we could have expected. Well I'm sorry, I find that an ostrich-like attitude. Taking 9 points from our last 13 games is pathetic, awful, and should have everyone very worried.

The second half of your post demonstrates your concerns about the manager and so you're taking everything that now happens as a sign that you're right.

You may well be right about Phil Brown but you, and dwb, currently have nothing to base this claim that Worrall because he doesn't want to play for Phil Brown. If things are as bad as you are saying then I look forward to hearing from player what has happened.

You make it sound as if you are a persecuted minority, which I'm sure you didn't mean to. There will always be posters that disagree with your views, just as you do with others at times. That is what a public message board is about. As for never addressing your points, maybe they can't be, but other posters don't feel as strongly as you.

Go back and look at the posts again RHB. Any criticism of Brown is always met by criticism of the poster or the post, not with reasoned debate. Even to the extent of one of the Mods lumping all criticism of Brown as coming from an anti-brigade, i.e. as coming from people with an Anti Brown agenda who are therefore not worth arguing with. It seems to me that people are swayed by Brown the personality rather than looking at the evidence, especially the evidence of the last two months of the season.

No surprise he will be going, he nearly went to Bury in January. Their charlatan of a chairman offered us around £10,000 if they got promoted. We rightly refused the p*** take of an offer.

Good luck to Dave he had some good games for us but not many this season. I witnessed Noel Hunt give him an almighty on pitch bolloking down at Swindon when he failed to cross the ball early a couple of times, when Hunt was completely unmarked.

Where ever he goes it might find it best not to report for duty unfit through drink. He will find your more likely not to be dropped or fall out with managers.

I also heard this happened on at least two occasions, i am also led to believe that some of this issue was linked to the very sad and unfortunate death of his son. It doesnt make it right, but anyone who has children can only begin to understand his trauma. Maybe moving on would be best for him, start a fresh etc

Apart from Brown's strange comments in the Echo about Worrall after the Bury game. I notice you ignore his falling out with Prosser and Bolger, again very public and not slow to criticise them. How about his public blaming of White after one game? I don't have a signed confession from PB, like everyone I have to consider the circumstantial evidence, and there is a lot of it to consider.

Also, the fact he can't persuade Bentley or Payne that their best interests are served by giving us another season I find worrying.

His tactics are mystifying, and again I don't think I'm being unobjective in criticising them. In the Chesterfield game, he started with some width (Worrall), and we looked threatening and were playing well. then Worrall was injured and despite having a winger on the bench PB went back to his usual narrow system, and we looked lost.

Finally, we have just had the worst EVER end to a season, and I am being asked to "consider the big picture" and accept a mid table finish as all we could have expected. Well I'm sorry, I find that an ostrich-like attitude. Taking 9 points from our last 13 games is pathetic, awful, and should have everyone very worried.

As much as you would like it to be, it is clearly not in their best interest to sign a one year deal with anyone let alone Southend. They may well thank PB when their first new payment is transferred after they sign for anew club.

Why would you expect any manager to be able to keep either of these two. It has never been done before and it won't be done in the future. So get used to the 'food chain' of professional football.

Okay player for us who did a job and obviously had ability but like the majority of our team apart from Leonard, Coker and Barrett, is very inconsistent. Not especially worried about this one and wish him well. If it wasn't for Payne and Bentley leaving, I don't think Worrall going would be an issue, however it is now yet another position we have to stock up on for next season. Squad is looking paper thin atm

Go back and look at the posts again RHB. Any criticism of Brown is always met by criticism of the poster or the post, not with reasoned debate. Even to the extent of one of the Mods lumping all criticism of Brown as coming from an anti-brigade, i.e. as coming from people with an Anti Brown agenda who are therefore not worth arguing with. It seems to me that people are swayed by Brown the personality rather than looking at the evidence, especially the evidence of the last two months of the season.

To be honest I don't see much evidence beyond a shocking run of results in a bunch of effectively dead rubbers. No one is happy with that run of performances or results I think it is fair to say.

What I take issue with is posts, like the first reply in this thread, taking any event that happens at Roots Hall and twisting it to suit that agenda. And it happens a hell of a lot so it doesn't surprise me that after a while genuine criticisms get lost in the ether which I'm sure is annoying for you and other good posters just offering their opinion.

Personally I've no allegiance to Phil Brown and resent the implication that I've been sucked in by his charisma. I didn't want him here and was fairly vocal of that at the time on Shrimperzone but I judge him objectively on the evidence of the job that he has done and on that evidence I'm currently happy with him as manager. It surprises me that people could look at the evidence of his run in charge and come to a different conclusion considering the size of club that we are but if that is how you feel then fair play.

Either way there's nothing currently to suggest that it is any way related to David Worrall moving elsewhere. Players left us before Phil Brown and will leave us long after Phil Brown has.

I'm assuming you mean me as you expressed your 'disappontment' when I called out before, just as Beefy has today, that there IS a minority of posters so entrenched in their opinion of Brown that they'll continue to attribute any disappointments to a problem with the management. Corr leaving for more money, must be Brown. Worrall, Bentley, Payne leaving at the end of their contracts (even with clear indications of more money on the table and potential moves closer to home) as a failing of the management.

I was pretty clear with you last time you said this and I've even enboldened the word minority for you again. If you're so into reasoned debate, please read the post again and actually try to understand the point I made before and I'm making again. For me, and it's just an opinion, there is a minority of people, a quite vocal one actually, who are so fed up with Brown that they've lost all reasoned thinking on the man. If that's not you, don't sweat it. If the cap fits, continue to wear it.

The above is a long way from discounting ALL criticism. For the record, I have plenty of criticism for Phil Brown and I've also posted it on here. Sorry if that doesn't support your point. I just won't be looking for reasons to blame him for all the ills that befall our club like some. Due to ongoing confusion, I put the word 'some' in bold again.

While we're on it, whether I'm a mod or not has nothing to do with this btw. I'm a poster with an opinion first and foremost and, from what I know of the other mods, we seem to be pretty well-balanced in terms of our 'affection/loathing' for a certain Mr Brown. What's your point exactly?

As much as you would like it to be, it is clearly not in their best interest to sign a one year deal with anyone let alone Southend. They may well thank PB when their first new payment is transferred after they sign for anew club.

Why would you expect any manager to be able to keep either of these two. It has never been done before and it won't be done in the future. So get used to the 'food chain' of professional football.

Anthony Grant ? stayed with us in league 2 when he could have (quite rightly) walked away as everyone else did , He then declared mid season he would stay with us despite interest from Championship clubs. Yes - it makes him an exception , but to say it's 'mever been done before' is a a little OTT for me

Initially I assumed you were talking about this thread, and I couldn't see any evidence of 'playing the poster'. Clearly now your comment is directed at multiple threads, so unless I read again every single thread on ChitChat I can't prove or disprove your comment. What I would say is that mods are entitled to their opinions as posters. The fact that they are mods is neither here nor there if they feel strongly about something. Unless they are actively moderating then any post from them is as a ordinary poster.

later - SBH has obviously posted whilst mine was being composed.

With players we've lost, Bolger and Worrall, and players we will lose, Bentley and Payne it seems preparing for this season this will be more of a challenge for Phil than it was last season - not forgetting we were stepping up in to a higher league either.

I'm not trying to be a Negative Nelly, but it's turning into a real head scratcher for Phil...

If PB had left, even the new manager would have had the same issues - Payne, Bentley and to some extent Worral where never go to sign.

Prosser wasn't good enough for League One, so I don't see how that was a falling out; maybe the only one that may have been is Bolger, but we don't even know that

There are so many players available on free's I'm not worried about us getting players in, only worry is how long it takes for us to get these players in.

Worrall I heard a few times broke club rules through drinking and was dropped for that reason.

Bentley out of the 4 going is the one we'll struggle to replace as I think Ted may not be Browns 1st choice!

All players can be replaced we've worried before and we'll worry again

In my opinion other than Worrall Payne and Bentley none if the others were good enough for us in leauge one. Of which Payne and Bentley can play at a high level and earn more money.

Shame to see him go he played a big part last season but for various he hasn't been anywhere near as effective this season. All the best Dave!

Another post based on nothing but pushing an agenda.

I liked Worrall a lot, one of the best pure wingers I can remember at the club. Good luck to him.

There is a lot of unrest in the changing room due to certain things happening on and off the pitch.

One example, I can't remember the game but Deegan got a yellow card right at the start of the second half and Brown took him off. The reason this happened was because Brown told Deegan to put a big tackle in on a certain player as he was influencing the game and Deegan wasn't tackling hard enough. Deegan does as he's told and then gets taken off, which caused a bit of a row after the game between Brown and a couple of players . There's a lot going on we don't know about.

There is a lot of unrest in the changing room due to certain things happening on and off the pitch.

One example, I can't remember the game but Deegan got a yellow card right at the start of the second half and Brown took him off. The reason this happened was because Brown told Deegan to put a big tackle in on a certain player as he was influencing the game and Deegan wasn't tackling hard enough. Deegan does as he's told and then gets taken off, which caused a bit of a row after the game between Brown and a couple of players . There's a lot going on we don't know about.

Deegan was also told by the club to shave his beard off. Treated like a little kid

If PB had left, even the new manager would have had the same issues - Payne, Bentley and to some extent Worral where never go to sign.

Prosser wasn't good enough for League One, so I don't see how that was a falling out; maybe the only one that may have been is Bolger, but we don't even know that
The worrying thing about all this, is that the players mentioned above are maybe our best players, and there leaving, will we get there quality on the open market, not at the wages we are paying.

Back