• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown wants Bentley to make up his mind

"Echosport understands an experienced locally based goalkeeper is also keen on the position".

I presume the Echo is referring to the full time coaching role, and guessing he is a retired proffesional. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whom this local is?

"Echosport understands an experienced locally based goalkeeper is also keen on the position".

I presume the Echo is referring to the full time coaching role, and guessing he is a retired proffesional. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whom this local is?

Daryl Flahavan?

Terry Alderton?

This is nothing more than posturing from Mr Brown, no doubt with one eye on the tribunal. If so, then fair play, as I understand it anything we can do to show we wanted to keep him will probably help us?

Leaving aside all the previous conversations between club and player(s), I think it is a fair question to ask any current "employee". Do you wish to stay with us or are you going to leave? If you wish to stay, great. We will now sort out your new contract or please confirm that you are definitely leaving. Then we can sort out a replacement for you as soon as possible. This same question has to be asked of any player who is undecided whether to stop or go from any club. As always the club and supporters are more important than any one player.

I think the more interesting bit is wanting to bring in another goalkeeper, which is the right thing to do.

I'd like to see someone signed, who is more than capable of being the number 1 should Ted struggle or PB decides he isn't quite ready.

Leaving aside all the previous conversations between club and player(s), I think it is a fair question to ask any current "employee". Do you wish to stay with us or are you going to leave? If you wish to stay, great. We will now sort out your new contract or please confirm that you are definitely leaving. Then we can sort out a replacement for you as soon as possible. This same question has to be asked of any player who is undecided whether to stop or go from any club. As always the club and supporters are more important than any one player.

You are right - completely reasonable to ask an employee as to their future intentions.

And the employee is entitled (especially after talking to their agent and their dad) not to answer until a deadline is nigh.:unsure:

I think the more interesting bit is wanting to bring in another goalkeeper, which is the right thing to do.

I'd like to see someone signed, who is more than capable of being the number 1 should Ted struggle or PB decides he isn't quite ready.

This above. Absolutely. We must have 2 goalies competing to be the number one choice.

Agree with the posters above, but we need to look after our own interests. Make an offer to Bentley by all means and put 14 days on it - if he doesn't want to sign that's the end of it and he can chance his luck elsewhere (bearing in mind that being someone else's reserve will do him no favours whatsoever). My gripe if I was Bentley would be the QPR thing last summer - if he'd gone there, Smithies wouldn't have, and he'd be their number 1 by now.
What's more interesting to me is the suggestion that we're looking to bring in another. I'm not sure about this - I think Ted should be given the chance - and if he crumbles under the pressure we could easily take in a loan. If we bring someone in who's decent, that basically condemns Ted to another season on the side lines which I don't think is ideal for him. If we bring someone in who's half decent, but will be quite happy if Ted displaces him, that's a waste of a transfer.

I can't see the point in signing any player for any position who is "half decent" - or what I interpret to be a "squad player".

Every player in the squad, to me, should be capable of holding down a position in the starting XI - otherwise what is the point of having them?

And there should be competition for all places ............ Ted Smith and goalkeeping is not an exception to that.

Good tactics from Brown here.

If Dan has an agreed path then good luck to him - he deserves it...... but you don't always get what you deserve.

If Dan doesn't have an agreed path then he could end up rotting on a bench somewhere but (probably) with more money.

Dan's good enough to negotiate a decent contract with us with mutually acceptable exit clauses and continue playing first team football.

I'm starting to worry about the quality and integrity of his agent - or the good sense of his dad if Dan doesn't already know where he's playing next year.

Good tactics from Brown here.

If Dan has an agreed path then good luck to him - he deserves it...... but you don't always get what you deserve.

If Dan doesn't have an agreed path then he could end up rotting on a bench somewhere but (probably) with more money.

Dan's good enough to negotiate a decent contract with us with mutually acceptable exit clauses and continue playing first team football.

I'm starting to worry about the quality and integrity of his agent - or the good sense of his dad if Dan doesn't already know where he's playing next year.

Bentley will undoubtedly leave. It's very early days. Some are complaining that we haven't made any signings yet and the season via the play-off's is still yet to be settled, so the same can be said about his leaving.

He he and his agent are rightly seeing who is interested in signing him and will await the best option in terms of the financially package, as well as playing regularly.

He has made it clear that he wishes to play at the highest level and let's face it he is unlikely to walk into a first team spot straight away, which ever higher division club he chooses and may have to bide his time.

Its a big decision to make for him and he will rightly take his time.

I I sadly believe that there is little chance of him remaining with us and no one should get their hopes up. This is a ploy by PB to push the matter and he rightly wants to sort the keeper situation for next season.

Back