• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Brentford fan earlier in thread said they were signing 3 players, the other 2 I believe turned out to be true, the other is Bentley.

Thats where my money is.

One of the directors of our company is a massive Burnley fan and they have taken an very big interest. That would be a good club to move to and develope at, what with Heaton being there. Could do worse, but DB wouldn't be a shoe in to start, far from it.

Pretty **** to think we've lost our two best players and best prospects for a number of years to clubs as tinpot as Brentford and Huddersfield.

I am sure its Brentford- PB would know as any club would have been in contact with us to discuss compensation just like Huddersfield. And PB said it looks like JP was going to Huddersfield (and so he did) and Dan to Brentford.

He may well have already signed but can't be announced until 1st July- if he hasn't then I guess Burnley or someone else could spoil the party but I am sure Brentford will have tried to get it signed

Pretty **** to think we've lost our two best players and best prospects for a number of years to clubs as tinpot as Brentford and Huddersfield.
I think it says a lot about those two players, no way has Payne moved for footballing reasons, purely financial. Also surprised if this is the extent of Dan's ambition at the moment, just can't see why it would be a good career move for him. Makes me wonder if they wanted out for other reasons given Worrall has also left pretty quickly and not to go back up north as many assumed he would.

I think it says a lot about those two players, no way has Payne moved for footballing reasons, purely financial. Also surprised if this is the extent of Dan's ambition at the moment, just can't see why it would be a good career move for him. Makes me wonder if they wanted out for other reasons given Worrall has also left pretty quickly and not to go back up north as many assumed he would.

Wages... That's why...... I don't understand the England talk, Dan is terrible at set pieces, not commanding at all, and he should of been trying to do this for some time.

Brentford finished in the play offs 2 seasons ago and in a decent position last year. They are a top half Championship side where he has a good chance of playing games.

Its not about money or "other reasons" , that would be a good move for him for football reasons. Bentley was never going to sign a deal here, he wants to play higher, simple as that.

If he went to a bigger club and sat on the bench he would be accused of going for the money as well, I dont think there is a club he could go to where people wouldnt claim its just for money.

Brentford finished in the play offs 2 seasons ago and in a decent position last year. They are a top half Championship side where he has a good chance of playing games.

Its not about money or "other reasons" , that would be a good move for him for football reasons. Bentley was never going to sign a deal here, he wants to play higher, simple as that.

If he went to a bigger club and sat on the bench he would be accused of going for the money as well, I dont think there is a club he could go to where people wouldnt claim its just for money.

Exactly this...

Lets face it, Dan is too good for League 1 and deserves his chance playing at a higher level.

Agreed that both Brentford and Huddersfield aren't big football clubs and a lot of Shrimpers would put them in the same bracket as us, but Swansea and Bournmouth fall into that category too and i'm sure if Dan (or Jack) had gone to one of them then people would be saying great move for them.

Both are moving to a higher division and who knows how that will pan out... they could set the league alight and move again in Jan (nobody knows).

Bottom line is SUFC will get some Money initially and if they continue to progress I'm sure we will get a nice little pay packet in a year or two due to sell on clause... even the haters and knockers will be happy with that!

I agree Brentford is a good move for footballing reasons, Dan is furthering his career and deserves to progress with the fans best wishes and blessings.

People know my thoughts on Payne

I don't begrudge Dan a move higher up as I've said many times, his served us well and given us a few seasons. More then can be said for Jack (but that's a different subject).

I do think though that dan found his level for now last season, say what you like about the defence Infront of him but that's when some keepers excel, he was found out a few times against a better level of attackers in league one compared to league two. I don't doubt he can go on and have a decent career at a higher level then he would with us, but I do think another season at this level wouldn't have done him any harm. Apart from financially obviously.

To be fair to Brentford, they are nowadays a very well run and progressive club with money behind them. Could easily be the next Bournemouth. Also wouldn't mind betting their new stadium will be built and in use before a spade has even been wafted in the general direction of FF.

Just shows with the right management (on and off the pitch) which includes bringing in outside investment, clubs can fulfil their potential. Other than Brentford you've got Reading, Swansea, Bournemouth and probably others I've forgotten who were once at our level, all now becoming established at least at Championship level and higher. And it is heart breaking to see them attracting players we can only dream of. Blackpool should be there too but they're an example of how quickly it can all go wrong if you're not careful.

Exactly this...

Lets face it, Dan is too good for League 1 and deserves his chance playing at a higher level.

Agreed that both Brentford and Huddersfield aren't big football clubs and a lot of Shrimpers would put them in the same bracket as us, but Swansea and Bournmouth fall into that category too and i'm sure if Dan (or Jack) had gone to one of them then people would be saying great move for them.

Both are moving to a higher division and who knows how that will pan out... they could set the league alight and move again in Jan (nobody knows).

Bottom line is SUFC will get some Money initially and if they continue to progress I'm sure we will get a nice little pay packet in a year or two due to sell on clause... even the haters and knockers will be happy with that!

I would have to disagree with you there; yes he is a good keeper, but there were a lot better keepers than him in League One last season, so at this moment in time I don't think he was too good for League One

Maybe there is no "other" reason and the reason is simply that 3 ambitious players want to further their careers.

Payne has moved to a club in the championship. No doubt finances played a part in the decision but it is pure conjecture that it was the sole decision. Unlike, say Barry Corr, he is still moving up a division so it still makes sound footballing sense to move to Huddersfield.

Brentford for me is an excellent choice for Dan. He has a real opportunity to be playing first team football at an established Championship club. Maybe he could go to a "bigger" club but he may then find himself on the bench.

It was indeed widely assumed by many that Worrall would go back up north but I do not recall Worrall himself saying us much. Again Millwall looks like an excellent move. They took awhile to adapt to life in League 1 but finished the second half of the season strongly, made the play-offs, and must be one of the favourites for promotion next year. He also doe not need to relocate.

I know certain people want to blame PB if anyone leaves. What exactly would Bentley be unhappy about. Perhaps he thinks PB has been playing him out of his best position.

I know certain people want to blame PB if anyone leaves. What exactly would Bentley be unhappy about. Perhaps he thinks PB has been playing him out of his best position.

Surely anyone who blamed PB for Dan leaving is blind stupid... We've known since the play off win last year dan was off at the end of this season, and that's when everyone was in love with PB.

I would have to disagree with you there; yes he is a good keeper, but there were a lot better keepers than him in League One last season, so at this moment in time I don't think he was too good for League One

Totally agree, he certainly wasn't "too good for League One" last year..far from it. But he is young and should still have improvement in him. I hope he proves himself at a higher level as SUFC should benefit from that, but from what I've seen he needs to improve a great deal to reach the top level. It's probably about 50/50 he goes on to better things to my untrained eye.

...I might be in the minority, but I think moving on now whilst his stock is relatively high is the right call. If he doesn't perform at Brentford (or wherever he goes) then he'll be released and his value will be zero. If we sell now we get whatever we can for him now and if he does set the world alight at Brentford we'll get a cut of the fee when he inevitably moves on again.

For me Brentford would be the perfect club for both Bentley and SUFC. He should get the opportunity to test himself at a higher level , but they aren't big enough to stand in the way of a big money move if all goes well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back