• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think this is modern tactics mate, it happens all the time in the upper echelons of the sport. I get so frustrated at watching England who get up to the last third and instead of a cross it goes sideways and back. Not good viewing at all. The coaching probably adopts the attitude of not losing the ball. But you ain't going to score if you don't cross or shoot.
UTB

Very true. The two most important things in life are football and women. Neither are an exact science and we can talk as much as you like about the ins and outs of both.

The only certain fact that covers both....If you don't shoot, you'll never score.

Yes I agree. If they attacked they ended up with a shot on target, we had another touch or passed to someone else.

Take Coker for example. Last week in the 87th minute he was positive got his cross in to the right area without looking up. Millwall keeper flaps result 3-1. This week, first 10, he gets the ball in a good position high up the pitch loses it after having a needless extra touch. We chase back and win the ball, Cocker gets it again in the same position but with even more time. What does he do instead of giving Mooney a nice early cross thinks he's now a winger and runs at the last defender into their box. Result ...defender nicks the ball and they break and nearly score.

I can't be the only one pulling my hair out when we don't deliver a cross. Is it down to team selection or tactics. I don't think so. Perhaps we could have a club fine for people who won't deliver the ball first time.

Doesn't Brown do any coaching then?

Errhhh. What about beer and cross stitching?

Obviously I know about beer, it helps with football and women. They both seem much better after a few pints.

What the f*** is Cross stitching?... To many beers and you may end up with an embarrassing story about a cross dresser, but cross stitching...never heard of it.

We've a dodgy keeper and no consistent goal scorer, not a good combination, quite apart from the rest of the team.

Is Oxley a pro footballer? Jesus that 1st goal is woeful. Even the 4th he should be doing better.

That second half was a total embarrassment IMO. Heads drop the second we concede that first and both players and fans know it's game over.

Again, tactics don't fit the players we have, constantly booting the ball forward expecting Mooney to win the ball and hold it up against lumps of CBs. Thought Leonard had his worst game for us as well. Shadow of his former self.

#BrownOut

I think this is modern tactics mate, it happens all the time in the upper echelons of the sport. I get so frustrated at watching England who get up to the last third and instead of a cross it goes sideways and back. Not good viewing at all. The coaching probably adopts the attitude of not losing the ball. But you ain't going to score if you don't cross or shoot.
UTB

so Brown being linked weeks ago to woring in the England set up actually made some sense:smile:

I seriously at this point after watching Saturday, believe we are bankers for relegation, possibly bottom of the league there is no sign what so ever about any form of improvement, and the amount of goals being let in is a serious worry, without any new personnel coming in, its clear the gaffer cant get the best out of what he has, for the good of the club AT THIS TIME we must look to sack the man and his team of very average coaches

I seriously at this point after watching Saturday, believe we are bankers for relegation, possibly bottom of the league there is no sign what so ever about any form of improvement, and the amount of goals being let in is a serious worry, without any new personnel coming in, its clear the gaffer cant get the best out of what he has, for the good of the club AT THIS TIME we must look to sack the man and his team of very average coaches

And Brian Horton !

Can anyone please tell me what he does ?

A Cobblers succinct summary ;

"If anyone ever wanted an example of how the destiny of a football match can hinge on one moment, this curious but mostly one-sided contest between two teams seemingly heading in different directions offered the perfect illustration. Devoid of ideas, lacking a certain zest and struggling for inspiration, Northampton were far from their best in a sluggish first-half that painted neither side in the best light.The Cobblers looked laboured, as if they were feeling the aftereffects of the razzmatazz of Wednesday, and while Southend edged proceedings, neither side had done enough to warrant anything other than a goalless half. It seemed very much a case of after the Lord Mayor’s show following the glitz and glamour of Manchester United in midweek. But then everything changed. One needless handball, one fortunate deflection, one questionable piece of goalkeeping and suddenly the game’s trajectory veered towards a very different destination.What had threatened to become a long, frustrating afternoon for the Cobblers turned into a rout as they went through the gears, ruthlessly punished some charitable Southend defending and romped to an emphatic victory that was the perfect riposte to back-to-back defeats."

Just caught PB's reaction on the radio, and him saying it's game over when 2-0 down with 10 men has irked me a bit. I feel like there should be a least a shred of fighting spirit, even if the odds are against you. Is it a possibility that this is always PB's mentality towards unfavourable situations, and he passes this dead and buried attitude to the team? Might explain why the heads go down after bad things happen, how are you supposed to believe you can still win if not even your manager does! - May be over extrapolating from one quote, but I suppose it's a possibility.

Did we come back from 2-0 at Notts County c1995?

I think Bressington was sent off and Ooh Andy Ansah equalised but details are vague.

Geez the first goal this season has been critical.

We've won twice and drawn once when we've taken the lead.

When we have conceded first, we are 1 draw and 5 losses.

We've won two from five where we've taken the lead this season.

When we trail 2 0 under Phil it makes grim reading.

Played...18...won 0 ....drawn 1....lost 17....gf 5...ga 46

One of our five goals was an og.

Just caught PB's reaction on the radio, and him saying it's game over when 2-0 down with 10 men has irked me a bit. I feel like there should be a least a shred of fighting spirit, even if the odds are against you. Is it a possibility that this is always PB's mentality towards unfavourable situations, and he passes this dead and buried attitude to the team? Might explain why the heads go down after bad things happen, how are you supposed to believe you can still win if not even your manager does! - May be over extrapolating from one quote, but I suppose it's a possibility.

you dont even need a win, at 2.0 down a draw is (most of the time) considered to be a good result, and can even feel better than a win depending on the circumstances

Back