• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-0 Bradford City

Up to 9th ! Fantastic. I would just like to draw your attention to my posting in September after our great win against Millwall......
"Perhaps we can 'do a Barnsley'...a dreadful start to last season in this Division, and then finished up getting promoted"
Looking good for a revival of fortune so far...time to concrete the improvements with the next 2 results...and onwards. COYB's

Are u kidding? Mrsblue is devastated

You are NOT wrong, similarly to after the Bury win that poster has gone absent with nothing to post. As he/she doesn't attend games or post comments that are any more than guess negatives he/she would not know what to post.
I hope he/she does attend a game and that there will, someday, sometime be a game report and ratings report that is balanced and incisive from him/her.

A little extract from the Bradford board. I'm really only posting it because of the Fortune comment, absolutely classic!!

This aside, we had a bad day at the office. We were dragged all over the place in defence by the powerful Ranger. Our back two panicked at times, when ran at by their tall physical midfield. No let up when Fortune came on for them. Akifenwa with pace !!! Likewise their big defenders nullified Jim and Jordy easily

They need to go to Specsavers ,how the hell is Fortune' fat?!!!

Back to back wins :happy:

Oxley 8 - Very good second half, the only shot he spilled was gathered up quickly.

Demetriou 8 - Looked a class act, linked fantastically well with Atkinson going forward.
Thompson 8 - Didn't put a foot wrong, he's safety first and today was the day not to take chances on the ball.
Ferdinand 7 - First half I thought Hanson bullied him in the air a bit, second half was very good.
Coker 8 - Loved the bit of skill before he went off :Worthy: got to be on Soccer AM next week! Hope he's only got a strain.:unsure:

Atkinson 9 - I've always been a defender of Atko, however even I didn't see today coming! He was the Southend Messi today, brilliant both going forward and defensively, long may it continue.:happy:
Leonard 8 - Fantastic defensively, and kept the ball moving going forward.
Wordworth 8 - First half he was fantastic, second half a little bit less so. He's one of those players who is always going to offer far more going forward than defensively.
McLaughlin 8 - Full of confidence, great going forward, deserves a lot of credit for his massively improved defensive work, he tracks back as well as Atkinson now.

Cox 9 - So much better with Ranger along side him, some of his one touch passes first half left Bradford chasing shadows. Fantastic work rate to force the error prior to Atko's first, never stopped running.:Worthy:
Ranger 8 - What a handful, I'm not sure he was at his best but he still caused Bradford all sorts of problems in the air. If we can keep Nile and Cox fit I feel we've got perhaps the best strike partnership in the leauge.

Subs

Timlin 8 - Did really well out of his usual position.
Fortune 8 - Made a difference and forced the final goal when it would of been easy to take the ball in to the corner.
O'neill - Not enough time to rate.

My only slight bug bear is the final sub, IMO Brown should have taken Atko off for a hugely deserved standing ovation.:Worthy:

"Ranger 8 - What a handful, I'm not sure he was at his best but he still caused Bradford all sorts of problems in the air. If we can keep Nile and Cox fit I feel we've got perhaps the best strike partnership in the league"

I like Fortune though, I'd be happy with any two of Fortune, Cox and Ranger.

B b b b b b but all the players hate Phil Brown.
They only play now and again for Barrett or coughlan or the tea lady, we are supposed to be 100 % relegation fodder with brown in charge. I'm so confused. How on earth can all these facts result in us playing so well lately and climbing the table. Please can those who were delivering these facts just a few weeks ago help me.

Oxley 7. Made some good stops today
Demetriou 7.5 up and down, good on the ball.
Ferdinand 8.5 on the next page all the time
Thompsonow 7.5 Becoming a very good centre back.
Coker doing well until injury
Mcgaughlin 7 good work rate today
Lenny 7 good holding midfield display allows Wordsworth to attack.
Wordsworth 8.5 when he is on it I love watching him play, gets forward and plays so cleverly and is a real goal threat
Cox 7.5 good work and such an intelligent player.
Ranger 8. He is the glue that binds this team and the way we now play. His hold up play is second to none...the way he brings others in to the game, good skills, worked hard today too.
Atkinson 9 MOM you will be lucky to see a more complete performance from an individual player this season. Obscene commitment to the cause, two goals...quite inspiring.
Fortune 7 came on done well, forced an error for Og at the end.
Timlin 6.5 done ok.....played out of position of course.
Chatting to the gang at roots hall today, the attacking prowess of ranger, Cox, Wordsworth and mecca over the last month or so has been a joy to watch....dare I say the best combination in the league at present???? Discuss.
Of course Phil Brown deserves no credit at all as he lost the dressing room a long time ago and we are going down....fact, end of

"Ranger 8 - What a handful, I'm not sure he was at his best but he still caused Bradford all sorts of problems in the air. If we can keep Nile and Cox fit I feel we've got perhaps the best strike partnership in the league"

I like Fortune though, I'd be happy with any two of Fortune, Cox and Ranger.

I like Fortune too, however our results with a Fortune/Cox duo haven't been as good as when Ranger plays, 1-1 Shrewsbury being a good example.

Think everything has been covered in previous posts and this really was an excellent performance.
l will just say three things.

1. The togetherness of these players is there for all to see in the way they all celebrate each goal , so the rubbish spouted in recent weeks about disharmony is just that - rubbish.

2. We are all entitled to our opinions and those differences are what makes the world go around , but I just wish those 2 or 3 well known posters who seem to love being negative , would at least come on here after the last 2 games and give credit where it's due - I know you're hurting at having a side doing well and looking full of goals , but go on , give it a go.

3. Best , Crown , Collymore , Eastwood are 4 of the best strikers we have had over my years of supporting , but I cannot recall having 4 at the same time as good as Ranger , Cox , Fortune and Mooney ( in his last few games before injury ).
People may disagree and say some of those are past their prime , but I think they are all technically excellent and can all hold the ball up and although Atkinson and McLaughlin to join the attacks.
i thought the three we had today were superb.

He did fire off probably the high, oh so very high and wide shot in the first half that cleared the South Stand with ease. It would probably have been a world record and a gold medal if there was a category for it in the Olympics.

Marshall is a very good player, the fools in the West were slating him for that shot, he hit it with his left, he is a right footed player.......Ben C tricked him once, but there was a lot more times that Ben switched off and stopped marking him, he was getting the crosses in..

B b b b b b but all the players hate Phil Brown.
They only play now and again for Barrett or coughlan or the tea lady, we are supposed to be 100 % relegation fodder with brown in charge. I'm so confused. How on earth can all these facts result in us playing so well lately and climbing the table. Please can those who were delivering these facts just a few weeks ago help me.

For exactly the same reason, old chap, that Fergie was one game away from not being the most successful manager of all time in the English game. Excuses and injuries don't bring points. Neither does media work. I'm more than happy to witness the turn around. In fairness to PB he asked us to judge once players came back from injury and the results and performances are a testament to Ron's faith and the fans patience. Let's be honest though he was on a knifedge. In a scenario where he'd accumulated,say, 6 points out of the last 18 I think he'd have gone.

That's football and that's the Zone too. All about results and opinions. There is always the right result but not necessarily always the right opinions. For example, in my opinion, since the back line was strengthened and Barrett hasn't appeared we appear to have been a tougher nut to crack. For me AB should take the right decision, reflect on a rewarding career, retire and channel his enthusiasm into the backroom staffing. For others such talk is sacrilegious.

Wow. Just Wow.

One of the most entertaining games I've seen at the Hall for years, and Bradford are a decent side. The last time they lost by 3 goals was 2nd January against Gillingham. They have only lost once in the league this season - Oxford away 1-0 - and they absolutely played their part in this up-tempo game which was a terrific advert for League One.

Their no 9 Hanson is a real handful and to keep a clean sheet is a terrific achievement.

We dominated the first half and - even though they hit the bar and went narrowly wide twice - we were well worth the lead and in truth it could have been more. The one criticism today was that we wanted to play that last extra showboating pass on occasion.

This match just goes to show how good a first choice team we have got. The worry is the strength in depth; Coker will be out for a while I would think, and Kyprianou is ok for the odd game but not ready defensively for several weeks work.

But let's enjoy this performance, as good as the Stevenage one was bad, and what a statement to make to the rest of the division. Southend are a force with this side, make no mistake.

The first half was almost a "shoot on sight" event, with Ranger (three times), Cox, McLaughlin and Wordsworth all pinging efforts goalwards. Atkinson had given Blues the lead after some poor defending by Bradford, allowing Cox to play Atko in and he took the ball really early, which I think surprised the keeper.

Both sides really went for it and the only surprise was that half time arrived still at 1-0.

Bradford put us under the cosh in the second half and it seemed only a matter of time before they equalised, but Oxley stood firm and they missed the target when they really shouldn't have done. Then, Southend made it safe after a ball was played to Atkinson via Thompson and he hammered home his second against hos former team.

Within a couple pf minutes he nearly had his hat trick but his effort was cleared off the line with the keeper absolutely nowhere.

At 2-0, Bradford pushed again but the Southend defence stood firm and were always the more likely for the 3rd. In one counter attack, Demetriou broke superbly, feeding Fortune on the right, and he tormented the full back before hammering the ball across goal for Ranger coming in at the far post. The defender Vincelot somehow scored an own goal, I'm still not quite sure how. It seemed to go in off his bum/thigh/cald and he shouldn't have been in that position anyway... Bizarre.

Terrific game, fab performance, great entertainment.

Ratings

Oxley - 8 - Made some good saves, a home clean sheet too. Plus his kicking is awesome; I can't remember a keepr so solid with his feet. This gives incredible confidence to defenders.

Demetriou 8.5 - Looked fitter and had a tremendous game, the best for us in my opinion.
Coker - 7 - Looked good before he had to go off injured. It didn't seem to be in anything particular and that is always worrying.
Ferdinand - 8 - How composed is this guy?
Thompson - 8 - Solid performance up against Hanson, a real handful.

McLaughlin - 8.5 - Terrific effort by him, seems super confident.
Leonard - 8 - Really good pressing, tackling and passing.
Atkinson - 9 - MOM - 2 goals, endless energy. Really coming good now.
Wordsworth - 9 - It was only the goals that separated these two, wow, fantastic contribution. Best in a blue shirt.

Cox - 8.5 - Again, great effort, probably the best since he's been here. Unselfish, makes space, he will, if he stays injury free, get several more goals.
Ranger - 7 - Listen, this guy is the difference between us winning and losing. His mere presence on the pitch changes everything and it's no co-incidence that we are starting to bang the goals in. But today he wanted to show off a bit too much and his finishing was of... on another day he would have had a hat trick.

Subs -

Timlin - on for Coker - 8 - Came on at left back and wasn't overly troubled. If you didn't know he wasn't a left back, you wouldn't have known.
Fortune - on for Cox - 8 - Energetic, did really well for the third but also on many other occasions too.
O'Neill - 6 - Not on long enough to do anything and not sure he touched the ball.

Ref - 8 - thought he did well too.

Back to back wins... let's make it 3 in a row.

Still buzzing.

I don't often post on performances but I thoroughly enjoyed yesterdays game. Bradford played their part and after a first half dominated by us they turned the pressure up in the second half. Bradford look a decent team and their number 4 Law was excellent for them. Hanson was a handful and they tried to win rather than sitting back and closing up shop.
Our first goal was made by the defending from the front strategy allowing an interception/tackle to be fed to the Duracell bunny that is Will Atkinson. Lovely calm finish young man.
Lots of pot shots ensued from all and sundry and Ranger really should have done better on at least two occasions when in a position to shoot. Bradford for sure hit the bar and caused us some trouble but to be fair we looked pretty solid at the back.
Second half we were under the cosh for a while but kept plugging away and scored against the run of play in my eyes and it took the wind out of Bradford's sails. Again a composed finish from the MOM Atkinson.
The third goal was pleasing as the defender was worried where Ranger was behind him and it cannoned off of him whist he was looking behind him.Slow motion seemed to take over as the keeper and the crowd all watched the ball roll into the opposite corner to truly cement the win against a side that will be in the mix for promotion at the end of the season.
I will only comment on a few as they were all excellent.

Oxley. Still leaves me worried and was found wanting on a few crosses in the first half. Second half some decent saves and punches clear. Harsh to criticize as it was a clean sheet but improving as the season goes on.

Ferdinand. Experienced Premier league defender and doesn't it show. Brings the best out of Thompson etc with his reading of the game and marshaling of the defense.

Leonard. The engine that keeps us going forward and the legs that gets back to defend.

Cox. Quality. Pure quality. His vision and touch are wasted on less alert/talented players. He only shines when played with like minded players up front.

Ranger. He is that player Cox thrives on. Holds up the ball and links brilliantly with Cox and others.

Fortune. I was concerned we were getting a has been but am impressed with him. What a back up to Cox and Ranger.

IN THE BLUE CORNER !!!!
ITS TIME TO INTRODUCE THE UNSUNG HERO OF SOUTHEND !!!!

ITS WILL ATKINSON !!!!
I am a long time admirer of his game and what he brings to the team. In the past his only negative was his sideways passing and lack of goals.
His engine is possibly only matched by Leonard's and Will does the unselfish stuff whilst others take the plaudits. He harasses and closes down the opposition thus allowing us to pick the ball up from forced errors or from giving other players the time to tackle them and win the ball.
His two goals were the icing on the cake for his performance and oh so close to the hat trick.
WELL DONE SIR !!!

The lady from the club singing before the game.
Was I the only one that thought oh no here we go with an x factor/the voice type of wannabee ?
How wrong was I ! Absolutely superb ! What a set of lungs that lady has ! (ooh arrr)
Seriously though she was a credit to the club and good luck to her in her future singing adventures.

ONLY NEGATIVE TO MENTION

WHEN WILL THE TINY MINDED IDIOTS WHO THINK ITS BIG AND CLEVER TO LET OFF SMOKE BOMBS EVER GROW UP !!!!
ITS NOT EITHER BIG OR CLEVER YOU FOOLISH YOUNG PEOPLE !!!!

Marshall is a very good player, the fools in the West were slating him for that shot, he hit it with his left, he is a right footed player.......Ben C tricked him once, but there was a lot more times that Ben switched off and stopped marking him, he was getting the crosses in..

Totally agree, Marshall was a good player. Whether he had the best of Coker is debateable. After Coker got crocked it was impossible to say who was best. As for the miss, it was a very embarrassing attempt on goal for him. I'm not sure your fellow supporters in the West merit being called fools for being amused at it though.

First game for me since the debacle at Scunthorpe and what a different team performance. It has all been covered very well by others above. I agree with the view that Nile was guilty of some showboating first half. But that is nit picking. He brings so much to this team. Very noticeable that even if he didn't win the header, his very presence often ensured that we profited. Disappointed for Nile that he didn't make more of the two or three very presentable chances he had first half. Had he done so it would have quelled the fear that with the Bradford period of possession and pressure second half it would be a 1-1 result. Will's very timely second was such a relief.

A word about Woody. Have often thought he had less bite than Timlin. Not yesterday. He allied toughness in the tackle with some very silky skills; some of the City players really felt his presence in more ways than one. Some of his footwork and ball skills were a joy to watch. And likewise some of the interplay between our players was delightful and had the crowd purring.

And how pleasing it was that with a decent crowd in we produced the goods and got all three points. So often Blues have followed a great win, such as at Bury, with a disappointing home performance. Congratulations to PB and the team. Long may it continue.

Back