• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-0 Bradford City

Marshall is a very good player, the fools in the West were slating him for that shot, he hit it with his left, he is a right footed player.......Ben C tricked him once, but there was a lot more times that Ben switched off and stopped marking him, he was getting the crosses in..
Ironshrimper, a bit like last week I don't think you have posted anything about the overall performance and result. Are you still seeing only negatives in your search for perfection?How was shot-shy Cox? What is your view?

Marshall is a very good player, the fools in the West were slating him for that shot, he hit it with his left, he is a right footed player.......Ben C tricked him once, but there was a lot more times that Ben switched off and stopped marking him, he was getting the crosses in..

Can't believe you're criticising our fans for picking on an opposition player, rather that than our own.

Besides I don't care if he is right footed, he's a professional footballer so he should be able to use both feet, and if he can't then he deserves stick

First game for me since the debacle at Scunthorpe and what a different team performance. It has all been covered very well by others above. I agree with the view that Nile was guilty of some showboating first half. But that is nit picking. He brings so much to this team. Very noticeable that even if he didn't win the header, his very presence often ensured that we profited. Disappointed for Nile that he didn't make more of the two or three very presentable chances he had first half. Had he done so it would have quelled the fear that with the Bradford period of possession and pressure second half it would be a 1-1 result. Will's very timely second was such a relief.

A word about Woody. Have often thought he had less bite than Timlin. Not yesterday. He allied toughness in the tackle with some very silky skills; some of the City players really felt his presence in more ways than one. Some of his footwork and ball skills were a joy to watch. And likewise some of the interplay between our players was delightful and had the crowd purring.

And how pleasing it was that with a decent crowd in we produced the goods and got all three points. So often Blues have followed a great win, such as at Bury, with a disappointing home performance. Congratulations to PB and the team. Long may it continue.

Two very good points from greyerfox. The Pigott's of the world jump with no conviction and with the 'tortoise head'. Ranger jumps and means it, so even if he didn't win the ball it would flick off the defender in our favour.

We really pressed high up the pitch first half and Woody won several lose balls. It was a big call by PB to drop Timlin but Woody looked determined to show us he is more than a just a ball player. Good to see some real competition in the middle.

By far the best home performance possibly this year. A very entertaining game between two in form sides. As my dad said the match as a whole was credit to league one. Make no mistake Bradford are a very good side and yes we rode our luck at times, but we deserved that luck. We played a high pressure game, went toe to toe with one of the best sides in the league and came out on top. Had we had this squad fully fit from the start of the season who knows where we would be. But we now look like a side full of confidence playing some lovely football, defensively solid and with attacking options. Key will be keeping the big players fit, do this and maybe we can dream. After yesterday would be diapointed if we don't pick up four points minimum from the Swindon and Walsall games, but no reason why we can't get six points. Tickets purchased for Saturday, lets hope for a big following.

Picking up on 'Rigsby's' point, the key difference in our style of play now is Ranger and Cox have the strength and cleverness to hold the ball up and turn, so defenders have to hold rather than come through them for the ball.

This ability allows Will, Woody and McL to run beyond them with confidence and means their midfield is pegged back or, in the case of the first goal, unable to pick the runners up. This opened them up in the first half and resulted in the first goal.

Compare that to having a Mooney or Pigott upfront and the ball would either pinball back off them or, in the former case, it would result in a theatrical fall to the ground for a free-kick.

I don't want to slate those two, particularly, especially Mooney, who Isn't a target man anyway, but having two upfront like Cox and Ranger just opens up so many more options for us and headaches for the oppo.

Two very good points from greyerfox. The Pigott's of the world jump with no conviction and with the 'tortoise head'. Ranger jumps and means it, so even if he didn't win the ball it would flick off the defender in our favour.

We really pressed high up the pitch first half and Woody won several lose balls. It was a big call by PB to drop Timlin but Woody looked determined to show us he is more than a just a ball player. Good to see some real competition in the middle.

For most of the second half Ranger had two defenders on him for high balls, one behind and one in front. It may have stopped him winning all the high balls but it also took two defenders out of their defence. I was an advocate of Timlin starting over Wordsworth, but I have to admit I was wrong there. Wordy did some ball magic tricks, some instant shooting and some tackling (and he won the ball) and merited the recall. Tims is not a natural left back but stuck at it when he came on.

"Compare that to having a Mooney or Pigott upfront and the ball would either pinball back off them or, in the former case, it would result in a theatrical fall to the ground for a free-kick."

Plus, being caught offside is now a rare event.

Can't believe you're criticising our fans for picking on an opposition player, rather that than our own.

Besides I don't care if he is right footed, he's a professional footballer so he should be able to use both feet, and if he can't then he deserves stick

You make me laugh, our players are through on goal sometimes, but if they are on the wrong foot they never have a go... the chance has gone.

I like all players, Marshall is a very good player, the stuff coming out of S block in the West was rubbish from quite a few... oh and I don't want Colechester to go down, and was upset West Ham through it away at the last gasp....

I really enjoyed the game, and would have been happy with a draw the way Bradford have been playing... Cox had a chance and passed it sideways, but he was decent. What a win.

Last edited:
For exactly the same reason, old chap, that Fergie was one game away from not being the most successful manager of all time in the English game. Excuses and injuries don't bring points. Neither does media work. I'm more than happy to witness the turn around. In fairness to PB he asked us to judge once players came back from injury and the results and performances are a testament to Ron's faith and the fans patience. Let's be honest though he was on a knifedge. In a scenario where he'd accumulated,say, 6 points out of the last 18 I think he'd have gone.

That's football and that's the Zone too. All about results and opinions. There is always the right result but not necessarily always the right opinions. For example, in my opinion, since the back line was strengthened and Barrett hasn't appeared we appear to have been a tougher nut to crack. For me AB should take the right decision, reflect on a rewarding career, retire and channel his enthusiasm into the backroom staffing. For others such talk is sacrilegious.

I was trying to be a tad ironic to be fair. I would not have been particularly upset if brown had gone it had been bad for a long time. My point is that there are people that put so much effort into negativity or hold their feelings/opinions as fact, then when it goes against them... they just sulk off and wait for the next bad result to pop up and spout it all again. I'm not pro brown, anti brown etc etc. I'm pro sufc and knew that all the conspiracy theorists were off target.
One thing....no such thing as a wrong opinion...but believing your opinion is fact is way off.

Picking up on 'Rigsby's' point, the key difference in our style of play now is Ranger and Cox have the strength and cleverness to hold the ball up and turn, so defenders have to hold rather than come through them for the ball.

This ability allows Will, Woody and McL to run beyond them with confidence and means their midfield is pegged back or, in the case of the first goal, unable to pick the runners up. This opened them up in the first half and resulted in the first goal.

Compare that to having a Mooney or Pigott upfront and the ball would either pinball back off them or, in the former case, it would result in a theatrical fall to the ground for a free-kick.

I don't want to slate those two, particularly, especially Mooney, who Isn't a target man anyway, but having two upfront like Cox and Ranger just opens up so many more options for us and headaches for the oppo.

This is why strikers cannot just be judged on how many goals they score or "assists" (daft phrase - if the player isn't assisting why is he on the pitch?).

It's nice (very nice) to have a striker that can put the ball in the net 20 or more times in a season but it is also the case that strikers creating room and space for midfielders to come through and score or winning corners and free-kicks in dangerous positions is just as valuable.

We have scored 7 times in the last 2 matches - 1 an own goal and 3 from strikers and 3 from midfielders. :thumbsup:

Obviously the defence are letting us down by not getting on the score sheet. :whistling:

I was trying to be a tad ironic to be fair. I would not have been particularly upset if brown had gone it had been bad for a long time. My point is that there are people that put so much effort into negativity or hold their feelings/opinions as fact, then when it goes against them... they just sulk off and wait for the next bad result to pop up and spout it all again. I'm not pro brown, anti brown etc etc. I'm pro sufc and knew that all the conspiracy theorists were off target.
One thing....no such thing as a wrong opinion...but believing your opinion is fact is way off.

That's just your opinion

Not read of the previous pages, this is my opinion on its own.

First off, I raise my hat to both teams, in a week when the Club have been on Twitter and other social media sites regarding the price of watching our beloved Southend, I watched a game yesterday that most would say they would watch week on week and feel entertained at the end of the game. The game was attacking, at a great pace, aggressive but never dirty in my eyes ! Superb.

Now, notwithstanding the above I would have been gutted if we had not won, we were simply superb, all across the pitch. Everyone gave their all, worked and played for each other, the football and interchanging of passes in parts of the game was up with there with some of the best I have seen for a long long time, especially between Wordsworth , Cox, McLaughlin, and Ranger. Again, as I touched upon a few weeks back Lenny is growing in every game in respect of the holding position, he breaks up play passes easy, win headers and is always available. Now, on to Atko, others will say it's the best he has every played, I don't agree, I personally think he always plays like this, he runs and runs and works and works, the only yesterday that made him stand out more was 2 goals, but for me his performance was his usual ( which as usual is top notch ).
The Thommo and Ferdinand partnership continues grow and one thing that stands out with Ferdinand his is continued communications with every player, he jogging up for corners, he talks to the midfielders and attackers , what a great addition.
No scores for me, just a ten out of ten for each players work rate and desire.

Ranger, what can I say, the guy is a menace. He wins headers, hold up play, works hard and generally lets defenders know he is there, his very presence brings others into the game, which from an attacking point of view is brilliant, as players can take a gamble to get the other side of him , this is so important when you are going at teams.

Finally, the superb and best reaction of the afternoon was from Oxley at the end, when Lenny cleared the line to save his clean sheet , that was fantastic to see.

Now, on to Swindon, let's keep it up, especially home games. Go at them again.

UTB's

When posting earlier I omitted to mention the Ox. What a transformation from the jittery, nervy and unconvincing keeper I last saw against Gills in the opening game. His was an impressive display yesterday. Some very good blocks and saves. How this has been achieved I am not certain but if, as is likely, it is in part down to the coaches then take a well-deserved bow for some seriously good work.

For most of the second half Ranger had two defenders on him for high balls, one behind and one in front. It may have stopped him winning all the high balls but it also took two defenders out of their defence.

We were in the Blue Seats yesterday (acting as part-time stewards for a time), so I hadn't really noticed that from my vantage point. That said, it's a testament to his threat that Bradford were genuinely scared of what he can do.

Reminds me a little of when The Goat was here, drawing defenders out of position with his presence and creating space for Freddy in those days.

You make me laugh, our players are through on goal sometimes, but if they are on the wrong foot they never have a go... the chance has gone.

I like all players, Marshall is a very good player, the stuff coming out of S block in the West was rubbish from quite a few... oh and I don't want Colechester to go down, and was upset West Ham through it away at the last gasp....

I really enjoyed the game, and would have been happy with a draw the way Bradford have been playing... Cox had a chance and passed it sideways, but he was decent. What a win.

Any professional player that can't use both feet deserves critism, and I get frustrated when our own players can use both. Marshall plays for the opposition, so I couldn't care how well they play against us.

As for Colchester, I don't want them to go down either, but what the hell has that got to do with our game!!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the blue smoke bomb let off again, after Wilo first goal.

two let off at MK Dons. Those that let them off are complete ***** that have let the club down again, and no doubt another fine. The blue voice have been great of late, but why do they keep doing this? Think the lads at MK dons were about 15, was it the same lads yesterday? Shame if the club does get a fine after such a great display

Gutted to have missed that performance yesterday, thankfully we had finished the ceremony at the wedding we were at and were able to marvel at the updates without being too obviously caught out!

Delighted for Will, I know I said that I felt he was the one to be dropped if Timlin were to come back in to start, and he's just hammered home quite conclusively why Tims is going to have to be content with the bench a bit longer!

I hope the club is going to post their pre-match tribute in their highlights as I am sure I, and many others who were not able to be there, would really enjoy seeing them.

Looking forward to Tuesday, let's hope there aren't too many knocks or strains going into that one.

Gutted to have missed that performance yesterday, thankfully we had finished the ceremony at the wedding we were at and were able to marvel at the updates without being too obviously caught out!

Delighted for Will, I know I said that I felt he was the one to be dropped if Timlin were to come back in to start, and he's just hammered home quite conclusively why Tims is going to have to be content with the bench a bit longer!

I hope the club is going to post their pre-match tribute in their highlights as I am sure I, and many others who were not able to be there, would really enjoy seeing them.

Looking forward to Tuesday, let's hope there aren't too many knocks or strains going into that one.

There is 10 minutes worth on BluesPlayer now but it only briefly covers the Remembrance part.

Back