• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I thought we were crying out for a Zavon Hines to come on as impact sub on Saturday. He offers something electic to open up a stubborn defence. As much as i like McLashans pace , Hines has the dribbling skills to really scare a team. In no way would i start with him at the moment , but if he cant get in a squad thats also missing McLaughlin + Bridge , then he must be really starting to be disheartened. Shame coz i feel you always need a guy like this to actually change a game on the bench.
Im a big fan of Bridge too --- especially when a lowly team comes to Roots Hall to park the bus , we need to break the opposition down with flair players like this. We ve got a massive squad , sometimes Brown is too loyal to players who maybe need a rest / kick up the back side.

I believe Bridge offers more creativity than McGlashan, Robinson and Hines, who all rely on their pace. You seem to be of the impression that only pace and work-rate counts. What about passing, movement and guile?

If I was looking to switch things up from the bench on a day when the whole team seems off colour, pace is but one option and Bridge is the type of player who may be able to provide inspiration where Atkinson's perspiration runs into brick walls.

I am not suggesting that pace and work rate are the only things that count. That is why I did not include Wordsworth in my comparisons; he certainly does not have the work rate of our other midfielders but has more guile and is our best passer and midfield finisher. Wordsworth was poor on Saturday (not the only one) but was still in the right place to score.

McGlashen has already proved this season he can make an impact from the bench as he has already created and scored goals this season as a substitute. The other 2 subs were Robinson and Nouble so both attacking changes.

You state that Bridge offers more creativity than McGlashen, Robinson and Hines even though the first 2 have scored from the bench this season - how many times have you seen Bridge play to arrive at this assessment?

I thought we were crying out for a Zavon Hines to come on as impact sub on Saturday. He offers something electic to open up a stubborn defence. As much as i like McLashans pace , Hines has the dribbling skills to really scare a team. In no way would i start with him at the moment , but if he cant get in a squad thats also missing McLaughlin + Bridge , then he must be really starting to be disheartened. Shame coz i feel you always need a guy like this to actually change a game on the bench.
Im a big fan of Bridge too --- especially when a lowly team comes to Roots Hall to park the bus , we need to break the opposition down with flair players like this. We ve got a massive squad , sometimes Brown is too loyal to players who maybe need a rest / kick up the back side.

You obviously didn't go to Fleetwood away; Hines came on for last 30 minutes and had a completely negative impact. Didn't beat the full back and couldn't be bothered to chase 5 yards to try to recover the ball after he lost it. Due to him not chasing back and covering Cokes we almost conceded a goal which would have lost us all 3 points; Tommo, Cokes and Woody made it clear to Hines how unimpressed they were with him.

Hines won't be in the squad again nor will Bridge- they have both up set Brown. I understood that the general feeling was the Bridge had more potential than Jack Payne however at the age of 21 now I don't think he will be realising that potential at Southend.

Hines won't be in the squad again nor will Bridge- they have both up set Brown. I understood that the general feeling was the Bridge had more potential than Jack Payne however at the age of 21 now I don't think he will be realising that potential at Southend.

I totally agree with this.

It is about realising that potential though and accepting that players develop at different speeds. Even though he was inconsistent it was clear from the start that Jack Payne had the ability to go past players and an eye for goal and he progressed very quickly. You could accept that he would be a passenger in some games knowing that he make the difference in others

It would be great to see Jack Bridge progress but to date it is not clear what he brings to the squad that others do not. I suspect he will need to drop down a level or two to kick start his career.

Is this similar source to the "Timlin won't play again" etc?
I doubt that a grown man like PB would hold a grudge against a young lad like Bridge, he would see any upset as growing up issues AND also know the pressures on both of them - it is called being a MAN AGER!

I doubt that a grown man like PB would hold a grudge against a young lad like Bridge, he would see any upset as growing up issues AND also know the pressures on both of them - it is called being a MAN AGER!
The source is my interpretation of what's been happening. Hines and Bridge were last on the bench at Fleetwood on Jan 28 when Ferdinand was injured and McGlashan suspended and before Robinson and Nouble were signed.
Hines upset Brown and everyone else who saw it with his lack of application when he came o. and Bridge had just had his week's trial at Bournemouth. PB was a bit miffed at Jack and his agent (just read his comments about it in the press). Bridge has not started a first team game this season - why would he get a chance now when he hasn't even been on the bench in the last 7 games?

That's the point.

PB demonstrates time and again that he has a man management problem when confrontation arises and regularly appears to harbour grudges.

Mind you, where Hines is concerned I have some sympathy but, having said that, before his injury he was too good for this level and maybe the appropriate man management would bring the best out of him. We could do with his type of wing play.

Mind you, where Hines is concerned I have some sympathy but, having said that, before his injury he was too good for this level and maybe the appropriate man management would bring the best out of him. We could do with his type of wing play.

Hines may have been good once, however, his knees are now almost as shot as Freddy's were.

That's the point.

PB demonstrates time and again that he has a man management problem when confrontation arises and regularly appears to harbour grudges.

I don't agree that he has poor man management skills , this is often rolled out when we are facing a couple of bad results. I reckon he's a hard task manager and expects a high return of loyalty, which is why on the other hand is very loyal to players that give him that in return, players such as Atko and also Lenny. Players that give their all and bust their gut for the cause. Of course I'm not saying that some players may have fallen out with him, but this is rife across football at every level from Premier League to National League. A changing room of young testerone fueled men creates a hotbed of issues and therefore fallouts will occur , however managers that have enjoyed more success than failure with any said changing room can't be said surely to have a widespread issue in this regard and the fact that season on season our position has improved under him, then i for one believe this can't be levied at him. Players may not like all his methods but if they respect him results follow, there is a fine line between these I appreciate , however if you recall John Beck the infamous Cambridge manager , throwing cold water over the players , asking them to play awful long ball football , the players may not have liked him , but respected him enough to carry out his wishes and for a certain period they were successful

Last edited:
I don't agree that he has man management skills , this is often rolled out when we are. Facing a couple of bad results. I reckon he's a hard task manager and expects high return of loyalty, which is why he on the other hand is very loyal to players that give him that in return, players such as Atko and also Lenny if say. Players that give their all and bust their gut for the cause. Of course I'm not saying that some players may have fallen out with him, but this is rife across football at every level from Premier League to National League. A changing room of young testerone fueled men is a hotbed of issues and therefore falls occur , however managers that have enjoyed more access than failure with any said changing room can't be said surely to have a widespread issue in this regard and the fact that season on season our position has improved under him, then i for one believe this can't levied at him. Players may not like methods but if they respect him results do follow, there is a fine line between these I appreciate , however if you recall John Beck the infamous Cambridge manager , throwing cold water ivervplayers , askingbthem to play awful long ball football , the players may not have liked him , but respected him enough to carry out his wishes and for a certain period they were successful

Hahaha

Decode please !

Not sure what people are expecting.

On our budget, we've attracted some top players. Have been playing some great football. Are 4th highest goalscorers in the division. Are 4 points off the play-offs, despite a poor start to the season and have had some crucial injuries of late and some poor refereeing decisions go against us.

We played poorly on Saturday, but go on any forum for any club and there'll be a match where people are bemoaning a bad day at the office.

Loads of positives about the club at the moment. I'd rather we played badly and knew it, than think that Saturday was a good performance and the best we could have expected. All the players know things need to improve. Guarantee you they will. We've got the type of squad that have that belief and desire.

PB may have outed a few players, but it's pretty much always been for the benefit of the team and club. When you have the likes of Ferdinand, Cox, Fortune and others really playing for the manager, then you know something is being done right.

The source is my interpretation of what's been happening. Hines and Bridge were last on the bench at Fleetwood on Jan 28 when Ferdinand was injured and McGlashan suspended and before Robinson and Nouble were signed.
Hines upset Brown and everyone else who saw it with his lack of application when he came o. and Bridge had just had his week's trial at Bournemouth. PB was a bit miffed at Jack and his agent (just read his comments about it in the press). Bridge has not started a first team game this season - why would he get a chance now when he hasn't even been on the bench in the last 7 games?

Or maybe you are reading too much into it.

Other than the beginning of the season when we were low on numbers due to injuries Jack Bridge has more often than not been in the squad. This includes the time prior to his trial with Bournemouth. PB sees him in training and more than likely simply does not think he is ready for the squad yet. It is also more noticeable that he has a lot more attackers on the bench of late.

With regards Hines then yes he did upset Brown and so it would seem most of the supporters who made the long trip to Fleetwood. If Hines cannot be bothered to put the work in then I am more than happy for him not to be in the squad.

Not sure what people are expecting.

On our budget, we've attracted some top players. Have been playing some great football. Are 4th highest goalscorers in the division. Are 4 points off the play-offs, despite a poor start to the season and have had some crucial injuries of late and some poor refereeing decisions go against us.

We played poorly on Saturday, but go on any forum for any club and there'll be a match where people are bemoaning a bad day at the office.

Loads of positives about the club at the moment. I'd rather we played badly and knew it, than think that Saturday was a good performance and the best we could have expected. All the players know things need to improve. Guarantee you they will. We've got the type of squad that have that belief and desire.

PB may have outed a few players, but it's pretty much always been for the benefit of the team and club. When you have the likes of Ferdinand, Cox, Fortune and others really playing for the manager, then you know something is being done right.

Now that would be a new approach to management!!

Hahaha

Decode please !

And you say I seek out you for MrsBlue bashing ! Others seemed to have grasped what I was saying , few grammatical errors yep, travelling with work if that's ok with . What you may not have understood is the fact that it's a reasoned response rather than your usual tosh !

And you say I seek out you for MrsBlue bashing ! Others seemed to have grasped what I was saying , few grammatical errors yep, travelling with work if that's ok with . What you may not have understood is the fact that it's a reasoned response rather than your usual tosh !

Calm down luvvie !

The problem with the team is rather simple IMHO .

When any manager signs old timers or guys who have hardly kicked a ball due to injury or simply packing it in,the result is they are unavailable or cannot play the full 90.

end of,fact.

Calm down luvvie !

The problem with the team is rather simple IMHO .

When any manager signs old timers or guys who have hardly kicked a ball due to injury or simply packing it in,the result is they are unavailable or cannot play the full 90.

end of,fact.

Go on then, I'll bite !

So, Cox has an off day and you "factually" now say he is an old timer that cant kick a ball !!! Hmmmmmm

So, Ferdinand, has been injured, but actually looked ok, but now "factually" you are saying this old timer is a route of our now poor run of no wins in 2 .... Hmmmmmmmmmm

So, let's forget how well MAF has been playing and lets now say, because he he has been poor the last 2 games, he is now a problem ..... hmmmmmmmmm ( lets ask some of the other Clubs if they would like our MAF "problem" ).

Any one else I have missed from your simplistic view of football ( and yes I do believe "simple" is a very good word for you )

This again is the issue with you "luvvie" , you talk in time frames that suit your "simple" mind .... you totally forget about how well Cox and Ferdinand and MAF have been playing over the last 22 games and this is why "luvvie" your responses to me are easy to pick on. You add nothing of substance, never have !

Please dont call me "luvvie" as well you patronising troll

Back