• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The first half was absolutely dire - we did nothing apart from the smart move for Cox's chance which was lot more difficult than it looked as the keeper closed the gap quickly.

The guy next to me thought that Ferdinand was unfit and thus was playing 5-10 yards deeper all game.

Neither had trained all week, and it showed.....

The foul count at half time was Port Vale conceded 1 we had conceded 9. Apart from the backing in/holding which the ref ignored all game.

Agreed, thought their blonde defender resembled a WWE wrestler....

Timlin was pushing too far in and leaving Wordsworth no space. I imagine Wordsworth stayed on because there is always a goal in him and Cox was not going to last 90 minutes.

At restarts for example, Brown was calling Timlin into the middle......

After PB talked him up after his performance against Bournemouth midweek, how did Jack Bridge fare?

It was a poor team performance but as a matter of interest who would you have dropped to accommodate Bridge in the team as I do not recall you pushing for his inclusion previously. Do you think Jack Bridge should start the next game and again who would you drop?

It was a poor team performance but as a matter of interest who would you have dropped to accommodate Bridge in the team as I do not recall you pushing for his inclusion previously. Do you think Jack Bridge should start the next game and again who would you drop?

Amos is ahead of Jack Bridge at the moment.

Well reminded, if Brown was ever going to introduce Amos it was this Saturday (so poor were the midfield). I imagine Tottenham will be open the phone again this week, querying why he is not getting a sniff of a game.

Agree with Danny above...Wordsworth at times this season has been breathtaking. Has the stardust required to win a game, today prime example he was shockingly bad today but pops up with an important goal late on.

Wordsworth is undoubtedly a quality player....but something is not right, I don't know whether it is a fitness thing or something else - but he went missing around this time last year too. The goal aside he was a waste of a jersey on Saturday and was worse at Gillingham....I remember Rochdale away last year in particular, sitting watching him just trot back as their midfield tore us apart.

I agree he is a top quality player, and he's the sort of player I enjoy watching - but if he unable to perform at a decent level for whatever reason right now he needs to be rested.

At home against a struggling team where we're struggling to create chances and lacking width (which seemed to be the consensus when I skimmed through the thread) I'd have brought him on for Atkinson who offers next to nothing going forward.

Did he come on? How did he do?

ps I've been pushing for Bridge to get more game time for about a year now.

Amos is ahead of Jack Bridge at the moment.

I have not seen him play but agree it would be good to see him get 20 minutes or so to see if he can deliver. I guess the most obvious candidate on Saturday was Wordsworth....who went on to score the equaliser.

Given how well the team has played over the last few months I can see why Brown is reluctant to make many changes. Bringing Atkinson back was in my opinion the right decision and in hindsight starting McGlashen ahead of Timlin would have given us more width although to be fair to Brown he did make the changes quite early.

At home against a struggling team where we're struggling to create chances and lacking width (which seemed to be the consensus when I skimmed through the thread) I'd have brought him on for Atkinson who offers next to nothing going forward.

With Atkinson in the team we have performed well and since has been out we have conceded goals down the right so it was the right change. I would have possibly started McGlashen ahead of Timlin to give as more pace and width and that change was made early in the second half.

Bridge is a tidy enough player but it not particularly quick and has not shown the ability to take on or go past players. He also does not have the work rate of either Leonard, Atkinson or Timlin. In short he does not bring anything to the game that the likes of Leonard, Atkinson, or Timlin already do and does not offer the pace or creativity of McGlashen, Robinson, or even Hines.

It was a poor team performance with too many players having an off day but I am struggling to why you see Jack Bridge as the answer given the options we have.

Wordsworth is undoubtedly a quality player....but something is not right, I don't know whether it is a fitness thing or something else - but he went missing around this time last year too. The goal aside he was a waste of a jersey on Saturday and was worse at Gillingham....I remember Rochdale away last year in particular, sitting watching him just trot back as their midfield tore us apart.

I agree he is a top quality player, and he's the sort of player I enjoy watching - but if he unable to perform at a decent level for whatever reason right now he needs to be rested.

This time last year, he was playing with a dodgy hamstring. They had hoped injections would work but he'd had as many as he could, and I think (IIRC) he ended up having an operation of some kind. It's why he was not fit at the start of this season too.

C&P told us several times he was a confidence player and that he shines when things are going well, not so much when they're not. However, he is the one midfielder we have who can consistently create and score which I guess is why Brown is sticking with him.

This time last year, he was playing with a dodgy hamstring. They had hoped injections would work but he'd had as many as he could, and I think (IIRC) he ended up having an operation of some kind. It's why he was not fit at the start of this season too.

C&P told us several times he was a confidence player and that he shines when things are going well, not so much when they're not. However, he is the one midfielder we have who can consistently create and score which I guess is why Brown is sticking with him.

Very good point. He's one of those players that when he's playing really well, so does the rest of the team, like at Peterborough. The only trouble is that works in reverse also, when he's playing bad, the bad passing and losing the ball sort of spreads across the team. Lately he should have been taken off, and from what I have seen, we may have picked up a few more points with Amos in the middle.

Timlin for Wordsworth, with at least one wide player on the pitch.

If Wordsworth is tired bring him on as an impact sub as he is certainly is not performing at the moment. Can't expect Leonard to continually do all Wordsworths work as well as his own.

If the play offs become impossible, mathematically, and we have no real game incentives with a few games to go then I would hope Jack, and a few others, will get a chance to strut their stuff.
My hope is that they are required to warm the bench because we go on a long winning run.

With Atkinson in the team we have performed well and since has been out we have conceded goals down the right so it was the right change. I would have possibly started McGlashen ahead of Timlin to give as more pace and width and that change was made early in the second half.

Bridge is a tidy enough player but it not particularly quick and has not shown the ability to take on or go past players. He also does not have the work rate of either Leonard, Atkinson or Timlin. In short he does not bring anything to the game that the likes of Leonard, Atkinson, or Timlin already do and does not offer the pace or creativity of McGlashen, Robinson, or even Hines.

It was a poor team performance with too many players having an off day but I am struggling to why you see Jack Bridge as the answer given the options we have.

I believe Bridge offers more creativity than McGlashan, Robinson and Hines, who all rely on their pace. You seem to be of the impression that only pace and work-rate counts. What about passing, movement and guile?

If I was looking to switch things up from the bench on a day when the whole team seems off colour, pace is but one option and Bridge is the type of player who may be able to provide inspiration where Atkinson's perspiration runs into brick walls.

If the play offs become impossible, mathematically, and we have no real game incentives with a few games to go then I would hope Jack, and a few others, will get a chance to strut their stuff.
My hope is that they are required to warm the bench because we go on a long winning run.

I hope that we get comfortable two and three goal leads and can ease Bridge in as a sub that way.

Back