• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Highest number of points and getting relegated out of League 1 was us on 54 points in 1988/9. There is no way 63 points would ever get you relegated.

Someone more mathematically able than me or with the sort of probability chart that 'llama' produced, would be able to work out the maximum points possible to be relegated, given all the permutations of the 552 matches in a season.

Someone more mathematically able than me or with the sort of probability chart that 'llama' produced, would be able to work out the maximum points possible to be relegated, given all the permutations of the 552 matches in a season.
In theory (if everyone won their home games and lost their aways) you could get relegated on goals scored with the same number of points as the champions

Crazy_Catcher_Chart.jpg

So what you lot are going on about is forget the play-offs, we need to beat Oldham to avoid relegation. Football's not as positive as the good ol days.

In theory (if everyone won their home games and lost their aways) you could get relegated on goals scored with the same number of points as the champions

Yep, I kind of thought that could be the answer, meaning everyone would get 69 points.

That stacks up OK on my Abacus, here.

So, every team needs to aim for 70 points at the start of the season! :thumbsup:

This is obviously hypothetical; every team could P46, W23, D0, L23, PTS 69. Therefore 70 points will ensure non-relegation!

Edit - Andy beat me to it!

I'm sure there was an Algerian League or something, where the champions finished 6 points above the bottom club.

Going into the final 3 matches or so, the bottom club could still win the league!

Es Setif by a point apparently. and the bottom club there NA Hussein Dey finished in a respectable 9th place.

Theres some great names there though. MC ORAN, sounds like a muslim rapper, & ASO Chlef, sounds like a splinter group from Isis.

LOL, yep some great names.

That's a dull old league though, for goals.

Top scorers only managing just over a goal a game!

MC Oran's matches look particularly tedious! :zzzzz:

Yes the Scunthorpe V Millwall game is a bit of a cliffhanger for us (as I for one, cant figure out who's wheels have really fallen off the wagon). But still currently see Oxford as more of a threat to our 6th place.

Week after Easter, think Oxford are at Millwall, which can only benefit us as one ( or both of them ) will drop points.

I find this is the time of the year when we all become even more statto and nostradamus-like. One site I particularly like to contemplate is the excellent http://www.soccerstats.com/latest.asp?league=england3

It does a good Points Per Game (PPG) analysis, which looks at the PPG average of your future opponents - i.e. a good way of comparing who has the easiest run in.

1 Sheffield Utd 1.13
2 Bolton 1.36
3 Fleetwood 1.14
4 Scunthorpe 1.18
5 Bradford 1.53
6 Southend Utd 1.27
7 Millwall 1.52
8 Oxford Utd 1.39
9 Rochdale 1.07
10 Bristol Rovers 1.19
11 Peterborough 1.37
12 Wimbledon 1.33

This basically shows that Rochdale have the easiest run-in, followed by Sheff Utd, Fleetwood and Scunthorpe. Bradford and Millwall have the most difficult and ours is about average.

A pretty meaningless but interesting stat to add to all the others that are floating around!

....and to add to the above, if you hover over the table it gives you the home average PPG of teams you're playing away and the away average PPG of the teams you're playing at home. Here's how that looks for us!

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 20.45.44.jpg

Week after Easter, think Oxford are at Millwall, which can only benefit us as one ( or both of them ) will drop points.

Indeed, and if Fleetwood can do a number on Oxford next Wednesday night & also against Millwall on Easter Monday it should give us more of a breathing space from the chasing pack.

Back