• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder has warned Southend that he will not be held to ransom over a move for their star midfielder Ryan Leonard. As The Star reported yesterday, United have had a bid rejected for Leonard, who turned 25 on Wednesday and has won Southend’s player of the year award for the last two seasons. Leonard has another year left on his contract at Roots Hall after the Shrimpers exercised their right to extend it, but boss Phil Brown warned earlier this week that Leonard would not leave on the cheap. Wilder confirmed last night that United have had a bid rejected for Leonard, and told Sheffield Live TV: “We’ve done it the right way. “We’ve gone through the front door, I spoke to Phil and put a bid in, he’s recognised that and they’ve put it in their local press, it’s been in our local press and we’ll see where it goes.“If we come to a number we agree on and that we think is value, then we’ll get something done. But if it goes above that, then we’ll move on.”Wilder also confirmed a bid for Charlton’s Ricky Holmes, who played under him at Northampton Town.“We will pay decent money for players,” Wilder said, “but the club will be here long after me, there’s no way we’re going to go into financial meltdown. There’s got to be progression but within a structure.”

Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder has warned Southend that he will not be held to ransom over a move for their star midfielder Ryan Leonard. As The Star reported yesterday, United have had a bid rejected for Leonard, who turned 25 on Wednesday and has won Southend’s player of the year award for the last two seasons. Leonard has another year left on his contract at Roots Hall after the Shrimpers exercised their right to extend it, but boss Phil Brown warned earlier this week that Leonard would not leave on the cheap. Wilder confirmed last night that United have had a bid rejected for Leonard, and told Sheffield Live TV: “We’ve done it the right way. “We’ve gone through the front door, I spoke to Phil and put a bid in, he’s recognised that and they’ve put it in their local press, it’s been in our local press and we’ll see where it goes.“If we come to a number we agree on and that we think is value, then we’ll get something done. But if it goes above that, then we’ll move on.”Wilder also confirmed a bid for Charlton’s Ricky Holmes, who played under him at Northampton Town.“We will pay decent money for players,” Wilder said, “but the club will be here long after me, there’s no way we’re going to go into financial meltdown. There’s got to be progression but within a structure.”

Don't make us an insulting offer then

I think Chris Wilder misses a rather crucial point- we don't actually want to sell him so all this "holding to ransom" nonsense is just that. If you want someone who the other club doesn't want to sell you will end up paying more than you want to. In this case RM is involved so if they don't want to meet his valuation then they can quickly move on as rubbing him up the wrong way will hasten not a lot.

Based on the mood music to date if he goes it won't be to Sheffield United.

I just listened to the interview. COMPLETELY MISQUOTED!!!! He never says anything about 'held to ransom'. Just said a bid has gone in and was rejected. Interestingly it was us who released it to the press!

Lenny is highly regarded around our level of football. when you see the sort of money being paid for lower league players I've never even heard of, he has to be worth at least £500k upfront with the usual add-ons. It would cost that much to get an equal replacement. Anything less and we should keep him for another year & risk it.

Sheffield United have had an improved offer turned down, but two other Championship clubs are now bidding as well. One rumoured to be Millwall.

I'd rather he went for free next summer than him go to Millwall. I would hope that Lenny would turn down a move to the scum considering the affection he has with our fans and how this would affect us as supporters...

TBH, I would like the club to keep him full stop, regardless of what is offered - if the club aspirations of promotion to Championship then he needs to stay. The increased revenue of promotion would far outweigh any realistic sum we will get for him,

Then again, Maybe he wants to leave, who knows?

I'd rather he went for free next summer than him go to Millwall. I would hope that Lenny would turn down a move to the scum considering the affection he has with our fans and how this would affect us as supporters...

Why do we have a particular issue with millwall? A relatively (compared to other clubs) large number of their support base are scumbags, but that's nothing personal to Southend.

It's looking pretty much certain that Lenny will move on to another club. I'm assuming it will be at Championship level otherwise there's no point in him leaving. Sheffield Fans seem to think it's a done deal that he goes to them but not at any price. If TSNB is correct about a revised offer which Ron has turned down, then they will not be back again according to their forum. I actually think that Wilder will bid again as he seems pretty determined to get Lenny (I can't blame him for that either).

Will be gutted to see him go, which now seems inevitable, but he is more than deserving of the move and will remain a hero for everything he's done here. Legend may be pushing it slightly but he's not far off.

At least it's all happening early doors, can give us a bit of money to splash elsewhere in the window if Ron can afford it and plenty of time to try and find a midfielder to fill the gap, though it'll certainly be a downgrade.

Ron Martin has said that he has a valuation of the player.

I wonder what that valuation is?

My guess is 750k but if anyone offers 600k then I'd say it would test our reaolve.

Don't think he'd want to come back or Brown would have him back. They fell out quite badly and Worrall was quite scathing in a press interview since his move.

Back